Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2008, 16:26   #1
BHPian

MUMBAi -Masinagudi-Wayanad -Mysore-Mumbai 24/12/08

cheers:
Hi Friends,
I have been reading threads of various road journeys and found them informative and helpful. Eventhough I have done alot of road trips I have not kept logs. But plan to do so on my next trip.

On December 24,2008, We [ wife and 2 kids in a Qualis] plan to travel from Mumbai to Masinagudi [via Mysore, by pass Bangalore]- Wayanad-Mysore_Mumbai. I have been told by Veteran HV Kumar that it is possible to do Mumbai Mysore in a day. However just as back -up I want to know of good Hotels to stay overnight in Dhavangere, Chitradurga,Tumkur. Incase I cannot make it to Mysore on Day 1. I would also like to know good places to eat on the route.

PLease also let me have details on the Mysore Masinagudi Waynad route.
Suneet
Old 10th November 2008, 13:51   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suneet View Post
cheers:
Hi Friends,
I have been reading threads of various road journeys and found them informative and helpful. Eventhough I have done alot of road trips I have not kept logs. But plan to do so on my next trip.

On December 24,2008, We [ wife and 2 kids in a Qualis] plan to travel from Mumbai to Masinagudi [via Mysore, by pass Bangalore]- Wayanad-Mysore_Mumbai. I have been told by Veteran HV Kumar that it is possible to do Mumbai Mysore in a day. However just as back -up I want to know of good Hotels to stay overnight in Dhavangere, Chitradurga,Tumkur. Incase I cannot make it to Mysore on Day 1. I would also like to know good places to eat on the route.

PLease also let me have details on the Mysore Masinagudi Waynad route.
Suneet
Suneet, Mysore-Nanjangud-Gundalpet-<Right turn-Sultan Battery-Wayanad> or COntinue Straight <Masinagudi/Ooty/Gudalur>
Old 10th November 2008, 14:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hotel stay ideas:
- Davangere, Hotel Pooja International
- Chitradurga, Hotel Mayura Palace

Masinagudi is on the Mysore-Gundulpet-Bandipur-Mudumalai-Ooty road, around 10 kms after Mudumalai. To go to Wayanad, you have to return to Gundulpet, and take a left turn (on the Calicut road) and go via Sultan's Battery to Kalpetta/Vythiri/Mananthavady. From Masinagudi, you should take 3 hours to reach Kalpetta.

There is also another route from Masinagudi. Come back to Mudumalai and take the road in the opposite direction to Gudalur and go via Meppady to Vythiri. Should take you a little shorter time, and gives you some wonderful tea estate country en route.
Old 10th November 2008, 15:18   #4
SBR
BHPian

Suneet,

On Mysore - Gundlupet - Bandipur - Mudumalai - Masinagudi road, even though I never stop to eat on this route, there is a Cafe Coffee day at Gundlupet to freshen up as your with Kids.

Also, at Masinagudi, suggest you stay at The Monarch. Very good place to stay with family.

Just in case if you are a wildlife enthusiast, On the Masinagudi - Wayanad route (Gundlupet - Calicut road), about 10 kms before Sultan Battery, you will find a forest check post (Muthanga Sanctuary). Just after the Check post, 1/2 a km ahead, you will find a Home Stay place " Mykkara Home". This place is built about 1/2 km inside towards the jungle on to your left (if you are travelling from Gundlupet - Wayanad route). It is a very good Home Stay as you have the option of staying in the Rest House (Per Family Stay around rs 1500 when i visited last about 6 months ago) or a bamboo hut built atop a bamboo tree for rs 1000. You will like this place if you are a wildlife enthusiast and kids will have good time as you can see a lot of spotted deer at your doorstep in evenings and early mornings. Sometimes if lucky, even elephants.

Good and Safe place to stay. Food has to be ordered seperately which will be cooked by the Care taker.

Enjoy your trip.

Regards
SBR
Old 10th November 2008, 15:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

I assume you would have made your reservations for your stay in Masinagudi & Wayanad. If you have not "Bear Mountain Resorts" in Masinagudi is a very good place to stay. HVK has answered your question regarding the route from Mysore to Masinagudi, my two cents, the road beyond Theppakadu (the point where the road to Masinagudi diverges from the main Mysore - Ooty road diverges) is closed for vehicular traffice between 8PM & 6AM, allthough you could always cross the checkpost by greasing the palms of the guys out there, nevertheless keep that in mind. You should take about two and a half hours or three hours, depending on how slow you drive once you reach the forest to reach Masinagudi from Mysore.

@HVKumar - Dont you think it would be a better option to do Masinagudi - Gudalur - Devarshola - Noolpuzha - Bathery.
Old 10th November 2008, 16:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
the road beyond Theppakadu (the point where the road to Masinagudi diverges from the main Mysore - Ooty road diverges) is closed for vehicular traffice between 8PM & 6AM, allthough you could always cross the checkpost by greasing the palms of the guys out there, nevertheless keep that in mind. You should take about two and a half hours or three hours, depending on how slow you drive once you reach the forest to reach Masinagudi from Mysore.

@HVKumar - Dont you think it would be a better option to do Masinagudi - Gudalur - Devarshola - Noolpuzha - Bathery.

Watch out for wildlife on the road from Theppekadu/Mudumalai to Masinagudi at all times of the day. I guess they may allow you through if you have a hotel reservation even beyond the 8pm/6 am.

Going from Gudalur to Sultan Battery - yes, the Devarshola route would be the best, but in case you are going to Vythiri/Kalpetta, the Meppadi route is good. Plus, it is a very pretty route.
Old 11th November 2008, 15:38   #7

I need the route to wayand from chennai...please help out in this i am planning to go to wayanad in our car...i need the best route to drive.
Old 16th November 2008, 18:18   #8
BHPian

Thanks SBR.
I am a wildlife enthusiast but I may not be able to stay at the places you mentioned in this trip as the bookings have been done, However this will not be my last trip to this area and will keep it for future reference. A few tips on what to see and how to organise a safari and walks in the forest will help.
Suneet
Old 16th November 2008, 18:59   #9
BHPian

Dear Friends - Hvk,Pypkm, Sbr.
Thanks for your valuable insites and tips. Eventhough I am a wild life enthusiast and would love to stay at the places recommended. The booking for this trip has alreadybeen done. However I look forward to visiting these areas again. And will definitely take up your recommendations. A few tips on what to see, How to organises treks and Safari's would help. Besides travelling, photography,I am also a foodie and if there anything I need to try please let me know.Any idea how cold it is going to be.? Kumar how are the hotels you mentioned at Chitradurga- Mayura and Davangere - Pooja> could not find anything on the net. The Belgaum Hotel seems nice and will use it on the way back.
Thanks
Suneet
Old 16th November 2008, 19:39   #10
BHPian

Dear Dhinu, I had travelled form Channai to Mumbai via Bangalore about 8 years ago. It took us aout 6-7 hours from Chennai to Bangalore. The attached threads lets me know that Banaglore Mumbai should take you another 2.5 to 3 hours and Wayanad another 5 hours or so.
Either you can search for similar threads in Routes and Travels or do a search for Chennai Mysore. From Mysore to Wayanad is given on the Mumbai -masinaguda- wayanad thread. Or you could start a new thread. It would help if you told people when you intend to take this trip.
RGDS
SUNEET
Old 16th November 2008, 20:00   #11
Senior - BHPian

please take reservations before you reach masinagudi. and reach that place before 6p.m. and please be very careful of where you stay there. we reached there at an odd time of the night and we were forced to stay there because the road was closed. got very scared staying there. just wanted to get the hell out of that place.
Old 16th November 2008, 20:49   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suneet View Post
Kumar how are the hotels you mentioned at Chitradurga- Mayura and Davangere - Pooja> could not find anything on the net. The Belgaum Hotel seems nice and will use it on the way back.
Thanks
Suneet
Suneet,

Hotels are good and not very expensive. Mayura is on the Chitradurga bypass itself. There is also Hotel Aishwarya which is inside town. I do not think any of these hotels take advance bookings, being highway hotels. Hotel Pooja is inside Davangere town, on the way to Harihar, for which you will have to leave the Davangere-Harihar bypass and go into town. Hotel Sankam Residency in Belgaum is just off NH4 (50-100 metres inside), and you will see it to your left (when coming from Bangalore) where the road goes into Belgaum town. For any reason you do not get rooms there, you can go into the city where there are many hotels.
Old 29th November 2008, 19:10   #13
BHPian

Thanks HVK your information is of grea value. You have made travel much easier for me.

Rgds Suneet

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Suneet,

Hotels are good and not very expensive. Mayura is on the Chitradurga bypass itself. There is also Hotel Aishwarya which is inside town. I do not think any of these hotels take advance bookings, being highway hotels. Hotel Pooja is inside Davangere town, on the way to Harihar, for which you will have to leave the Davangere-Harihar bypass and go into town. Hotel Sankam Residency in Belgaum is just off NH4 (50-100 metres inside), and you will see it to your left (when coming from Bangalore) where the road goes into Belgaum town. For any reason you do not get rooms there, you can go into the city where there are many hotels.
Old 29th November 2008, 19:42   #14
BHPian

Thanks buddy,
Planning to reach Masinagudi by morning and will take care be careful. We have our bookings in Forest Hills resort and farms. where did you stay?
Suneet
Old 4th January 2009, 11:35   #15
BHPian

Dear HVK, Govinov, Pykm, SBR, Xotiq.
Thanks alot for for your help I have just returned from a fanastic 2600 km trip. Your help and advice was of immense help. It only made the journey easier and smoother. It took about 15 hrs to reach B'lore and 17 hrs to get back form Mysore. Hvk I stayed in Hotel Sankam and found it quite nice,
Thanks once again.
Suneet.

Most Viewed