Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2008, 04:34   #1

Hairpin bends on Yercaud route

Hi,

I am a relatively new driver and more so when it comes to highway driving. In all I might have driven about 1000-1500 km on the highways. City driving around 10000 km over 2 years. Comfortable in city driving. I drive a Hyundai Getz GLS.

I am planning for a weekend trip to Yercaud and after reading the travelogues, I realized there are numerous hairpin bends on the route after Salem.

My question to the more experienced folks here is:
1. Do you think that the hairpin bends on this section can be tackled by some of my experience? I have done the hairpin bends on the Nandi hills section without any problem.

2. Any advice/tips while doing the Salem-Yercaud ghat section and on the hairpin bends.

Thank you
Count
Old 14th November 2008, 09:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

It is a very mild ghat, not at all a problem.
Old 14th November 2008, 09:26   #3
BHPian

Not a problem at all. If you are going during day then you can see lot of monkeys .
Hairpin bends are not very sharp do advice to keep the car in 2nd at most 3rd(not recommended) gear while climbing and while descending 1st or max 2nd gear ! Never switch off your engine while coming down
Old 14th November 2008, 09:32   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
Not a problem at all. If you are going during day then you can see lot of monkeys .
Hairpin bends are not very sharp do advice to keep the car in 2nd at most 3rd(not recommended) gear while climbing and while descending 1st or max 2nd gear ! Never switch off your engine while coming down
Also stick to your lane while negotiating the bends, I mean take the full curve while turning and dont just cut across. Drive slow as the bends are almost like U-Turns.
Old 14th November 2008, 10:12   #5
BHPian

I visit Yercaud at least twice a month. The ghat road is relatively mild,nothing really scary. With 10,000 km under your belt,you should have no problem negotiating Yercaud. As pointed out by other members, watch out for monkeys ( just fun to watch . They are very alert and are not a traffic hazard), 2 wheelers coasting down at insane speeds and pedestrians. Stick to your lane and always play defensively at blind curves. Lorry and buses have the right of way and always yield for uphill traffic. And if you chance to encounter a heavy vehicle at a hairpin bend, always take the inside line as they have to take the out side line even if it means driving US style.

Also never coast down on neutral, avoid night journeys and remember to fill up fuel. There is a bunk but occasionally they run out of petrol.

If possible try to visit during week days as weekends tend to be crowded. I would avoid all the popular "tourist spots" and visit remote places like killiur falls, bears cave etc. The climate now is excellent, clear skies and cold temp.
Old 14th November 2008, 21:21   #6
BHPian

the hairpin bends will be easy for you to negotiate. but beware of the 2 wheelers. monkeys will be a problem if you stop on the ghat road. i don't advice stoping while on ghat road. there will be some steep climbs in remote areas but havign 10000 kms under your belt it be not a problem for you
Old 14th November 2008, 22:16   #7

Thank you all for your suggestions. Really appreciate it!
Old 14th November 2008, 23:02   #8
BANNED

possible share your yercaud trip - once you are done. wishes.
Old 14th November 2008, 23:42   #9
BHPian

Hey Count,

Few tips:
1). When you start climbing, use 2nd or 3rd gear.
2). Honk and go slow on the turns
3). Try to top-up your tank before you start the climb.
4). When you start coming down, try to be in 2nd or 3rd gear. This will assist you with engine braking.

Have safe drive.

Do take pictures and delight us with your trip experience.
Old 15th November 2008, 00:07   #10
BHPian

Any hairpin bends on any stretches can be tackled with ease if you are regimental in terms of gear usage as well as stick to your lane what ever the case. As some BHPians have been suggesting the 2nd gear is a good pick.

Also when you can’t see the road, mild honking is advised apart from slowing down to the lower revs of the engine. Drive with confident caution.

Share your travel experience and have fun
Old 16th November 2008, 20:38   #11

Sure, will post my travel experiences/pics here. Will be traveling sometime in January first week. Thanks again for all the help and advice!
Old 17th November 2008, 00:10   #12
BHPian

Just an additional suggestion to use while coming down hill:
Drive in the same low gear as you would have used while going uphill. Use engine breaking effectively and less of clutch.
Old 16th November 2009, 15:41   #13
BHPian

DO not trail to the heavy vehichles

IMO, Please do not trail the heavy vehicles, They may move to the extreme in the turning which may look scary for you so, Keep a safe distance between vehicles...

10000 Kms of driving is more than enough.. I climbed the 1st mountain when i was just 800 Kms driven on road, But that was the safest mountain i have seen ever (Tirupati).

Bon Voyage !! Post some snaps...
Old 16th November 2009, 15:52   #14
Senior - BHPian

With all the above information and safeguarding techniques don't forget to take the snaps and don't forget to upload in the forum after you take it and don't forget to write your expereince( i think i have used tooo many DON"Ts here)
Old 16th November 2009, 16:02   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Also stick to your lane while negotiating the bends, I mean take the full curve while turning and dont just cut across.
This is most important.

Also, be a bit careful while you are stationary on an incline and need to move forward from there.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks