Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2009, 21:49   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
When I showed my wife the GQ drive thread that HVK and team had done, she termed me as crazy
I dont know what will happen when she sees this thread
FYI - earlier (80's, 90's and till date) all Indian tour operators to Europe have road touars, you visit cities by road, some may be different with Eurail connections between cities, however the majority - SOTC (now known as Kuoni), Raj, Cox & Kings, Thomas Cook, all operate busses as modes of conveyance within Europe.

Earlier it was not as expensive as today (no Euro as a currency) we had a 21 day trip across Europe, now a days they have shortened the itineraries and charge more.

During the 80's there was a group visa (for tour operators * travellers) where there was no mention on the passport of the entry and exit of the traveler through the country. (Exceptions = France & UK).

Europe by road is much smaller and doable than India due to the high level of discipline on the roads & road amenities such as signs/dedicated lanes, overpasses etc.

Believe you me road travel is the best way to see Europe. Nothing on earth comes close to the beauty and splendor of that continent.
Old 9th March 2009, 21:51   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post

Believe you me road travel is the best way to see Europe. Nothing on earth comes close to the beauty and splendor of that continent.
I prefer Eurail - what a way to see Europe all by train!
Old 12th March 2009, 12:52   #33

Guys you may like to refer to "Investment Biker" or "Adventure Capitalist" two books by Jim Rogers a investment banker based out of New York. Both books cover his round the world road trips. The first book covers his trip around the world using a BMW motorcycle and the second using a Mercedes Car. Both trips he has extensively travelled through China, Russia (erstwhile USSR) and Mongolia among other counteries which you guys are planning in this trip. He maybe of help for finding out some modalities for problems faced by you. He can be reached on [COLOR=#0000ff]jim@jimrogers.com[/COLOR] as per the credits given in the books
Old 12th March 2009, 14:08   #34
BHPian

I think Dubai-Saudi Arabia-Jordan-Syria-Turkey is our best bet to enter Europe from India.
I have been wanting to do such a trip as well, need a few years more before I can afford it
Meanwhile, I am preparing for the foreign services... I am sure a Diplomatic passport and visa would come in handy
Old 16th March 2009, 07:30   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftgeorge View Post
Guys you may like to refer to "Investment Biker" or "Adventure Capitalist" two books by Jim Rogers a investment banker based out of New York. Both books cover his round the world road trips. The first book covers his trip around the world using a BMW motorcycle and the second using a Mercedes Car. Both trips he has extensively travelled through China, Russia (erstwhile USSR) and Mongolia among other counteries which you guys are planning in this trip. He maybe of help for finding out some modalities for problems faced by you. He can be reached on [COLOR=#0000ff]jim@jimrogers.com[/COLOR] as per the credits given in the books
Another equally good travelogue is "Long Way around" by Ewan Mc Gregor and Charlie Boorman on their London - New York via Europe and Asia on BMW F Series bikes. The videos of it could be found on Youtube also. Gives god description about pitfalls about driving/riding through Russia and how to arrange visas and carnets
Old 19th March 2009, 01:39   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
You guys are loco. Adventurous, courageous and all that. But still loco.
Hahahahaha, the yetiness is infectious isn't it ?

BTW this is a lifetime journey, 2 wheels, 3 or four, does not matter, iraade hain, karna hai.

Believe, you me, ill have Sameera Reddy entertaining us the entire way. May be live.
Old 2nd July 2009, 19:01   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danish_c View Post
I think Dubai-Saudi Arabia-Jordan-Syria-Turkey is our best bet to enter Europe from India.
Wouldn't an entry at Port Said (Egypt) be easier? or even Beirut for that matter.

It seems to me that the logistics of a trip like this arent the issue. Most modern Indian cars conform to international specs (as most of them are sold abroad too!). The security factor plays the key. For eg. Even if one were to enter the EU via either Dubai or Port Said you'd still have to negotiate with the Gaza Strip (and pray to all the Gods- Israeli and Palestinian!)

I've been thinking about a trip like this for a while too. And while I currently drive an alto, I was wondering as to what the ideal car would be. Gypsy? Scorpio Camper?
Old 4th July 2009, 16:22   #38
BHPian

decision time

Ok people enough discussion!!!

Time now to have a show of hands as to who all are embarking on the trip.

Decide a date. Something around nine months to a year from now shall be feasible I think. It generally does take that much time to make preparations and setup expedition vehicles of this kind.

Lets us finally suggest possible routes.
How about a round trip wherein one way entrance through the middle east and out via Russia some port North of China. Or the other way depending upon when the journey is undertaken. Winters in Russia can be soul breaking as countless people have found time and again in history.

Ok I have to go buy myself a vehicle for the abovementioned trip. I think a Judo shall be nice.

Cheers
Old 17th November 2009, 00:46   #39
BANNED

Bumped onto this old thread through google while searching for delhi to london by road .
Guys Any Updates ?
Old 17th November 2009, 07:20   #40
Senior - BHPian

Can anybody sum up how much of expenses are we talking about here. No. of Kms, country, days et al.
Old 17th November 2009, 15:21   #41
BHPian

Wherever there is a will , there is a way.

I too intend to do the India-Europe drive one day.

I'm sure bhp-ians will find out a way.

All the best HVK and company.
Old 17th November 2009, 17:21   #42
BHPian

This is really a good milestone in one's life. Worth the effort for sure.
This is a true exploration given the challenges in today's world.

I heard there is also Trans-Continental Railway Lines being worked upon by UN.
Also Trans-Global Highways.

Links below:

Railways Linking Continents:
Trans-Asian Railway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Transcontinental railroad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Trans-Siberian Railway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Global Highways:
Trans Global Highway. A proposal by Frank Didik

I am not sure about the current status of these though.
Old 17th November 2009, 17:46   #43
BHPian

You guys are giving me a new reason to live!!
Old 17th November 2009, 18:34   #44
BHPian

A close friend of mine went from Delhi to South Africa (which is his home) by motorcycle around 3 years ago. Took a leisurely pace of around 7 to 8 months. His bike was registered in SA and his nationality made it easier for him to get visas.

So yes it has been done.

Another friend just arrived overland from Europe by road (through all the 'istan's' and then Wagah border). She did not drive but mostly took public transport. Her only complaint was that her airtel sim card worked everywhere other than Pakistan and that she did not get a visa into iran (she has a british passport)
Old 3rd February 2012, 17:33   #45
BHPian

Re: Delhi to Paris by road

I haven't seen any new posts on this topic. Has any bhpian done this. I was doing a Google Maps routing for India-Europe and they all route through Pakistan-Iran-Azerbaijan-Turkey-Greece and then onwards.

Google does not come back with any routing for using the China option, from India, Nepal, Myanmar, Bhutan, Vietnam - in fact from anywhere? Though I did read HV sir's post on crossing over to China from Nepal which I am considering more accurate.

I am game for a trip from Bangalore to London and back in the autumn of 2013, if I have company.

Most Viewed