Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2008, 20:52   #1
BHPian

Travel to Udupi - please suggest a few good places to Stay

Folks,

This came up on short notice. We have to go to Shrungeri on a religious trip and since Udupi is closeby, we decided we will spend couple of nights in udupi.

Can you please suggest us few good places(Hotels/resorts) to stay?. No booking done as of now and we will be in Udupi on 26 and 27th of Dec.

Also, in Wiki travel, came across "Hoode-Kemmannu house boats". Heard of it for the first time in my life. Can you tell us how to book this as well as what the experience is like?

Greatly appreciate your help as always

Thanks
Shankar
Old 22nd December 2008, 23:24   #2
BANNED

AFAAICT, there are plenty of places in and around Udupi where you can stay. Kediyoor is the top end. And the TMA pai foundation runs one in nearby Manipal (hardly 3 KM). This one is for training too.
Old 23rd December 2008, 00:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

Like BackSeatDRiver, I also recommend Hotel Kediyoor in Udupi. Good, cheap rooms, excellent veg restaurant and ample car parking.

If you are looking for something more up-market, Manipal has the Hotel Valley View, and Paradise Island is a swanky beach resort on Malpe Beach which is 5 kms from Udupi.
Old 23rd December 2008, 00:14   #4
Team-BHP Support

The best is Valley View in Manipal. Single room 2500+taxes and double room 3000+taxes. Then you have Udupi residency, Kediyoor, Sharada International in Udupi, they cost half as much as Valley view.

Paradise Island has gone to dogs since last year, still they charge higher than valley view.

Last edited by Samurai : 23rd December 2008 at 00:18.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2008, 00:16   #5
BHPian

Hotel Udupi Residency is good too.here is the phone no.-
0820-2530005,2530108

Hotel kediyoor-0820-2522381

enjoy your stay in udupi.valley view bit on the expensive side.i could have enquired the rates but am travelling to kerala tomorrow.

Edit: Well our man samurai has already provided the rates!!!

Last edited by Samurai : 23rd December 2008 at 00:20. Reason: back-to-back posts
Old 23rd December 2008, 09:51   #6
BHPian

Sorry to jump on this one. But how far is Bhantkal from Udupi. Have a wedding on the 2nd in Bhantkal. Could we stay in Udupi and travel to the wedding ?

Vijay
Old 23rd December 2008, 12:26   #7
BHPian

Thanks for all your replies..

One more question:

From google maps, I see there is a route from Shringeri -> Karkala-> Udupi which looks shortest.

I have also heard another route Shrungeri ->Koppa->Agumbe->Hebri->Udupi. Looks longer but may be more scenic?..

What are the road conditions in both these?.

Thanks
Shankar
Old 23rd December 2008, 14:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

Well prabhuav Bhatkal takes around 3 hrs from udupi. Its better to stay somewhere near murdeshwar which is really close comparitively as in about half an hour journey.
Old 23rd December 2008, 15:28   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
Sorry to jump on this one. But how far is Bhantkal from Udupi. Have a wedding on the 2nd in Bhantkal. Could we stay in Udupi and travel to the wedding ?

Vijay
Bhatkala is 90kms from udupi, Hardly 2 hrs drive from Udupi
Bhatkala hardly has any good hotels to stay, Don't know as how good Koal Paradise is now there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai
Paradise Island has gone to dogs since last year,
Yeah I agree with you on this. Nothing great about this beach resort at Malpe. Only the location is good here

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankaranand View Post
Thanks for all your replies..

One more question:

From google maps, I see there is a route from Shringeri -> Karkala-> Udupi which looks shortest.

I have also heard another route Shrungeri ->Koppa->Agumbe->Hebri->Udupi. Looks longer but may be more scenic?..

What are the road conditions in both these?.

Thanks
Shankar
the second mentioned route is definetely not a correct route. why does any1 have to reach Koppa is he/she wants to go to Agumbe from sringeri?
The best /shortest route to reach udupi is
Sringeri-Agumbe-Hebri-Hiriyadka-Parkala-Udupi

Last edited by sushrutha : 23rd December 2008 at 15:31.
Old 23rd December 2008, 16:31   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Vijay
It's around 85Kms, you could stay at Sharon in Kundapura. BTW, it is Bhatkal.

For the other question, Sringeri-Agumbe-Hebri-Hiriyadka-Manipal-udupi is the shortest path. There is Sringeri-Karkala-Manipal-Udupi if you prefer Kudremukh ghat, that is 10-15kms longer.
Old 23rd December 2008, 17:01   #11
BHPian

Found out that the place we are going to is indeed bantakal and it a side road once you get to Katpady. Must be a tiny place

BTW how much time should I budget from Bangalore to Udupi?

Last edited by prabhuav : 23rd December 2008 at 17:08.
Old 23rd December 2008, 17:09   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Found out that the place we are going to is indeed bantakal and it a side road once you get to Katpady. Must be a tiny place
Oops lots of places in and around Mangalore with almost same pronounciation...
BHATKALA
BANTWALA
& now
BANTAKAL
Old 18th May 2023, 11:44   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Travel to Udupi - please suggest a few good places to Stay

A friend was making a halt at Udupi without prior booking. Looked up this thread, and suggested the same places that @Samurai mentioned here above. My friend went to Udupi Residency, and said thanks .. It is still a decent place with parking.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 12:40   #14
BHPian

Re: Travel to Udupi - please suggest a few good places to Stay

Similarly, We visited Udupi in last October, I wasn't aware about this thread but ended up staying in Kediyoor (I also shortlisted but local friend of my cousin actually booked).
Main criteria was location for us as We had only around 24 hours in Udupi so wanted to minimise traveling.

Few years back some family members stayed in Paradise isle resort and were happy but due to limited time, wanted to stay in main area near to temple and market.

Overall experience was good as expected, some online reviews were negetive with main point being old infra but for us combination of accessible location + good food was worth for the fare, and We didn't face any major issue in service as well.

Last edited by Vishal.R : 18th May 2023 at 12:43.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks