Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2008, 10:38   #1
BHPian

Places to visit around Vellore?

Hi all,
I plan to do a Vellore trip to Sri puram golden temple this weekend from Bangalore. Which is the best route now to reach vellore. I plan to do around 5.30-6 morning start on saturday.
Also please suggest the food and accomodation(cheap and best) at that place as i'm travelling with my family. Should i book for accomodation or can i get accomodation easily?

Also as i'm planning to stay their for 2 days, please also suggest good places around Vellore to visit. I prefer to come back by sunday evening as i'm not OK with night driving.

Thanks,
Ramki.
Old 29th December 2008, 22:14   #2
BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...bangalore.html

If you need any more help then let me know.
Places around Vellore :
1. Fort.
2. Yellagiri just a Cool Drive.
Old 30th December 2008, 00:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

There is another thread on the same topic.

The temple inside the fort is a very old and famous. Unfortunately its been sidelined becoz of all the hype around the golden temple !

Kanchipuram is 50 kms from Vellore. There are hundred's of temples around the town and around 10 of them are famous. since you are on a sort of pilgrimage I would suggest you take sometime to visit Kanchipuram. Do not miss the Varadaraja Perumal temple, Kamatchi Amman temple, Ekambareshwar temple there. My personal belief is that these are far better and much holier than the golden temple.

You just drive down the GQ towards Chennai and you should reach Kanchi within 45 minutes from Vellore. You can spend half a day, one day or more here !!

Yelagiri is on the way back to Bangalore. You need to deviate from the GQ to go to Yelagiri. The deviation is on Vaniyambadi bypass or at the Natrampalli bypass.
Old 30th December 2008, 12:46   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
There is another thread on the same topic.

The temple inside the fort is a very old and famous. Unfortunately its been sidelined becoz of all the hype around the golden temple !

Kanchipuram is 50 kms from Vellore. There are hundred's of temples around the town and around 10 of them are famous. since you are on a sort of pilgrimage I would suggest you take sometime to visit Kanchipuram. Do not miss the Varadaraja Perumal temple, Kamatchi Amman temple, Ekambareshwar temple there. My personal belief is that these are far better and much holier than the golden temple.

You just drive down the GQ towards Chennai and you should reach Kanchi within 45 minutes from Vellore. You can spend half a day, one day or more here !!

Yelagiri is on the way back to Bangalore. You need to deviate from the GQ to go to Yelagiri. The deviation is on Vaniyambadi bypass or at the Natrampalli bypass.
Thanks sentil. I would take your suggestion on driving to Kanchipuram. I plan to take the following route:
Bangalore- Hosur (45 KMs) - Krishnagiri (95) - Vaniyambadi (145) - Ambur (165) - Vellore (220)

Can you please guide me which route to take for Kanchipuram? Is the below route Golden quadrilateral?

Vellore - Kanippettai - Arcot - Ranipet - Walajapet - Panapakkam - kanchipuram.

Please advice.

Thanks,
Ramki.
Old 30th December 2008, 12:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

@ Ramki

Continue on the GQ past Vellore, Walajah Toll booth, after you cross Kaveripakkam a little further down the NH you would find the right turn for Kanchipuram. You can't miss the signboard.
Old 30th December 2008, 13:13   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Hi all,
I plan to do a Vellore trip to Sri puram golden temple this weekend from Bangalore. Which is the best route now to reach vellore. I plan to do around 5.30-6 morning start on saturday.
Also please suggest the food and accomodation(cheap and best) at that place as i'm travelling with my family. Should i book for accomodation or can i get accomodation easily?

Also as i'm planning to stay their for 2 days, please also suggest good places around Vellore to visit. I prefer to come back by sunday evening as i'm not OK with night driving.

Thanks,
Ramki.
If you are going to the golden temple, make sure you are spending some time in the evening as well, the temple looks beautiful when the lights are lit.

Accomodation and food around the temple is not good, you may have to stay in vellore.
Old 30th December 2008, 14:25   #7
BHPian

Thanks. Please suggest good VEG hotels for breakfast and quick breaks on the way to Vellore.
Old 30th December 2008, 14:27   #8
Team-BHP Support

Little known trivia on Vellore
Vellore Revolt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 30th December 2008, 15:01   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Please suggest good VEG hotels for breakfast and quick breaks on the way to Vellore.
The only good hotel for breakfast I can think of is Anandbhavan which is adjacent to Reliance Petrol bunk - though the bunk is now closed I guess. Its just before the toll.
Old 30th December 2008, 15:06   #10
Senior - BHPian

@ Ramki

I had posted yesterday the set of restaurants for somebody else who was planning a trip to Vellore.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post1109143

This could help you. Depending on when you are starting from Bangalore you have to take a call on the hotel. If you leave Bangalore early in the morning around 5, you could very well reach Vellore for breakfast. In addition to the ones I have listed in the above post you could also have food at Hotel Grand Krishna which on the highway once you cross Vellore town towards Kanchipuram. It comes on the right hand side as you go towards Kanchipuram.
Old 30th December 2008, 17:55   #11
BHPian

Hello,
I had been to Golden Temple on Dec 24th and it was great. You can try Darling Residency and you can also try Anand Bhavan. Also i see Jadugar Anand's magic show is in the city. So you may check that as well.

The fort is great but no water around the fort which is supposed to be in full at most times. There is a temple, church and a mosque (closed) in the fort complex besides an university (office?)

It is Lord Ayyappa season and the rush is terrific. So please plan things ahead. Darshan at Sripuram (Golden Temple) takes atleast 2 hours as you walk for ~2 kms in the temple premises. It is just magnificient and no words to describe the temple.

Ticket costs INR 250 and there is another ticket for special puja of INR 1008 and INR 1508. Photography is prohibited right from the entrance itself.

Please check Welcome to the official site of Sripuram for more information about Temple. You can also check out VIT if you have any acquiantances studying there else, forget the entry. I also heard president is coming over to Vellore (or may have already visited by now as she is in Hyd today)

If you can manage, do check out Kanipakam (Ganesh temple), about 11 Kms from Chittoor and about ~55 Kms from sripuram.

Last edited by TrueDreamer : 30th December 2008 at 18:00.
Old 31st December 2008, 11:02   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
@ Ramki

This could help you. Depending on when you are starting from Bangalore you have to take a call on the hotel. In addition to the ones I have listed in the above post you could also have food at Hotel Grand Krishna which on the highway once you cross Vellore town towards Kanchipuram. It comes on the right hand side as you go towards Kanchipuram.
Thanks pypkmsrikanth. Here is my plan:
1. To start Saturday morning at around 5 - 5.30 and have breakfast on the way to Vellore via Krishnagiri.Halt at a hotel in Vellore. Visit Sripuram temple.
2. May be stay at the hotel for the night or reach Kanchi that day itself depends on my/family condition to drive that day. If its all OK reach Kanchi that day itself and halt at a lodge.
3. Visit 4 famous temples in Kanchi and leave Kanchi at around 1-1.30 pm to Bangalore via Krishnagiri.

Kindly advice on the plan above and suggest good hotels(VEG only) and staying places at Kanchi.

THanks,
Ramki.
Old 31st December 2008, 12:01   #13
Senior - BHPian

@ Ramki,

Kanchipuram also has Saravana Bhavan which could be a place for you have your food. You could look at staying in hotels like Hotel Tamil Nadu or Hotel GRT Regency, though GRT would work out expensive.
Old 1st January 2009, 23:32   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks pypkmsrikanth. Here is my plan:
1. To start Saturday morning at around 5 - 5.30 and have breakfast on the way to Vellore via Krishnagiri.Halt at a hotel in Vellore. Visit Sripuram temple.
If you leave Bangalore By 5:30 then you can reach there by 10 AM Itself. Including 1 hrs of Break fast. And also you can reach to Kanchi on the same day. Dont reach till Vellor before Vellore you can take right to reach Sripuram(14KM). You also have a Hotel inside the Temple.
Old 2nd January 2009, 01:15   #15
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for not being able to provide the info earlier. Hadn't got online for a couple of days. The route as a fellow Bhpian has pointed out is just down the GQ for another 50 kms. You could stay in Vellore and go to Kanchipuram in the morning, finish a couple of temples, have breakfast and then fiinish the other 2 later.

Have a great time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks