Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2008, 12:41   #1
Senior - BHPian

Need advice on Hyd-Hampi-Bijapur-Hyd route

Hi Travel gurus,
I plan to drive down to Hampi and return via Bijapur. I am contemplating 4 days in total for this trip (like 1st to 4th of Jan, or during the Sankaranti week).
I know that there are 2 routes to Hampi from Hyd--one via Gooty and one via Raichur. Which one is better, and how long would the journey take, assuming sedate driving style?

I also need advice on the route from Hampi to Bijapur, and whether I should return from Bijapur to Hyd via Solapur or via Jevargi/ Gulbarga.

Thanks
Old 29th December 2008, 12:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

venu bhai, please get in touch with Avi (mobike 008) and Zen91....we were discussing a bijapur trip on our meet last week and these folks have been there and were all praises for the drive.
Old 29th December 2008, 13:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
venu bhai, please get in touch with Avi (mobike 008) and Zen91....we were discussing a bijapur trip on our meet last week and these folks have been there and were all praises for the drive.
Thanks Himanshu,
But Avi is on vacation now. I know that Zappo covered the Bijapur route on his way to Goa, and had all praises for that route via Gulbarga. But I'm not sure of the recent road condition, being a state highway.

I also know that Avi prefers the Solapur route as it is a national highway, and also becuase he enjoys getting waylaid by the traffic cops at Solapur
Old 29th December 2008, 13:36   #4
BHPian

@vnabhi,the Bijapur-Jewargi-Gulbarga-Homnabad is one of the best roads I have driven till date.This road is awesome and I am sure you will be pleasently surprised on the quality of this road.

Take this route while travelling from Bijapur to Hyderabad,your perception on SH will change(specially that of Karnataka).

I had travelled upto Raichur about a month back and the roads were manageable with the road being riddled with potholes between Mehboobnagar and Raichur(Bad road before entering Raichur).The road from Hyderabad to Jadcherla is NH7 which is good but with a lot of diversions due to 4 laneing.

The road from Raichur to Hampi is again good(Karnataka SH quality) as mentioned by one of my friend who had travelled to Hampi about a month back.
Old 29th December 2008, 17:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

Thanks zen91. Appreciate your prompt response.
Old 30th December 2008, 09:43   #6
BHPian

Went to Hampi last year via the Durgapur route - left at 4am - took about 7 hours only
Old 30th December 2008, 13:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amip View Post
Went to Hampi last year via the Durgapur route - left at 4am - took about 7 hours only
Is there another Durgapur? I only know of one in West Bengal with a Steel Plant.
Old 31st December 2008, 11:06   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Is there another Durgapur? I only know of one in West Bengal with a Steel Plant.
Sorry, meant Raichur! My travel plans seem to be getting ahead of me! LOL
Old 31st December 2008, 13:25   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Hi Travel gurus,
I plan to drive down to Hampi and return via Bijapur. I am contemplating 4 days in total for this trip (like 1st to 4th of Jan, or during the Sankaranti week).
I know that there are 2 routes to Hampi from Hyd--one via Gooty and one via Raichur. Which one is better, and how long would the journey take, assuming sedate driving style?

I also need advice on the route from Hampi to Bijapur, and whether I should return from Bijapur to Hyd via Solapur or via Jevargi/ Gulbarga.

Thanks
I think you can go via Raichur to Hampi. Raichur- Sindhanur-Gangavathi-Hampi.Mostly good roads. On the way back Hampi to NH13(I think via Hospet or Budgumpa cross there might be a shortcut. You can enquire locally. Its just a few KMs), and then NH13 all the way to Bijapur via Kushtagi, Ilkal, Almatti.
From Bijapur to Solapur and Humnabad is 100 +135 KMs. NH13 and NH9
Bijapur to Gulbarga and Humnabad is 160+65. State Highways.
NH or SH both are 2 lane roads. Road via Gulbarga is in better condition with the advantage of lesser traffic. If you are using this route, when you reach Sindgi use the route via Jewargi(Not via Afzalpur).
Old 19th September 2009, 12:27   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,
I am bumping up this old thread for a quick refresh of the roads to Hampi from Hyderabad. I've plans to go to Mahabaleshwar next weekend, but need to keep this as a backup in case rains persist at Mahabs. This apart, my family is a bit wary of going to any place near Pune owing to swine flu.

I'd also be glad if someone tells us of any other tourist place near Hampi and Bijapur that we could cover. We are planning for 4 days, inclusive of journey time, but don't mind stretching for a couple of days more, if needed. Is Goa very far from Hampi?
Thanks in advance.
Old 19th September 2009, 16:25   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
but don't mind stretching for a couple of days more, if needed. Is Goa very far from Hampi?
Why not Goa itself instead of covering that along with Hampi? It should be around 500kms from Hampi if i am not wrong.

Goa is the most ideal place to unwind from our stressful worklife
Old 20th September 2009, 13:19   #12

Goa should be around 350 to 400 KMs from Hampi. Not more than that. From Hampi you can go via Gadag, Hubli, Londa. Considering the time of the year the ghat section should be very beautiful. Enjoy!
Old 20th September 2009, 14:02   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajhiremath View Post
Goa should be around 350 to 400 KMs from Hampi. Not more than that. From Hampi you can go via Gadag, Hubli, Londa. Considering the time of the year the ghat section should be very beautiful. Enjoy!
Thanks. Does anybody have update on the road conditions between Hampi and Londa.
Also, is it not better to go via Hubli-->Ankola-->Karwar because the Londa route is allegedly bad?
Old 20th September 2009, 15:24   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Does anybody have update on the road conditions between Hampi and Londa.
Also, is it not better to go via Hubli-->Ankola-->Karwar because the Londa route is allegedly bad?
Please stay away from Londa, especially after monsoons as that stretch will become 'God's own Crater" as i said in some other thread as well.
Old 21st September 2009, 11:37   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Karwar-Panjim stretch has been reported as excellent on some other threads.NH17 is bad at some places but Karwar-Panaji is still in excellent shape.Went a fair distance myself on this route a few days back and it really didnt look like it would go bad.

The other option for you would be to drive along NH4 from Hubli till Belgaum and take the Belgaum-Amboli road and reach Panaji via Amboli-S'wadi.Roads are good.If North Goa is your destination,then this is a good option.Distance wise both the routes are more or less the same-a few 10kms give or take.The only advantage I see is that you could drive along NH4 for a fair distance on this route and hence better speeds.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks