Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2009, 01:51   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Manali to shimla will take more time than Manali Chd.
Shimla Manali took less time than Manali Chd. I did Shimla Manali in around 6.5 hours with a half an hour break whereas Manali Chd took us 7 hours with the same half an hour break.
Old 10th September 2012, 17:31   #17
BHPian

re: Going to Shimla, Manali; any tips?

Friends,

After having driven my first car for about 9 months (11000 kms) in Delhi/NCR, I am planning to go out of the city for the first time. I plan to drive from Delhi to Shimla on 15th. I will be driving alone in my Liva GD. The car has been serviced and all necessary checks done.

Any tips, advice, information would be more than welcome. Any particular turn I should be careful not to miss, any stop that I should avoid, and so on. I have gone through threads on highway driving and hill driving, but still if you have something to say, I am all ears.

I will be staying in Shimla for two weeks at IIAS to try and finish some writing, away from my work and home chores. I will concentrate mostly on my work, but some short drives around Shimla is on the cards. Any suggestions regarding this would be welcome too.

Any suggestion regarding a good fuel pump in or around Shimla?

thanks
Old 11th September 2012, 17:47   #18
BHPian

Re: Going to Shimla, Manali; any tips?

Had driven down to Shimla last week. The road condition was excellent.

Nothing specific you need to worry about other than parking woes & traffic jams once in Shimla!
Sinner666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2012, 22:43   #19
Senior - BHPian

Trip to Naldhera, Kufri, Chail are most convenient. If in mood for a longish drive visit Hatu Peak beyond Narkanda or go to Tattapani, sulphur springs. Your choice.
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2012, 14:47   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaji View Post
Friends,

I will be staying in Shimla for two weeks at IIAS to try and finish some writing, away from my work and home chores. I will concentrate mostly on my work, but some short drives around Shimla is on the cards. Any suggestions regarding this would be welcome too.

Any suggestion regarding a good fuel pump in or around Shimla?

thanks
Hi, I am just a little curious and have a few questions, because I have always wanted to spend some time at IIAS. Are you in government service? Is it possible for a private persons to get accomodation at IIAS if they want to sit and write.

Thanks
Old 14th September 2012, 16:07   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
Hi, I am just a little curious and have a few questions, because I have always wanted to spend some time at IIAS. Are you in government service? Is it possible for a private persons to get accomodation at IIAS if they want to sit and write.

Thanks
Hi Manolin, I am lucky to be invited there as a visiting scholar. I am a librarian and researcher. Almost 15 years back, I had gone there to participate in an international summer school and stayed there for 3 weeks. Normally, there would be two ways to go there for a stay: either you apply for the various category of fellows that they choose every year (see their website) or to participate in some conference, workshop, summer school that is held there. The latter seems more feasible if you are not in academics. Since you are a lawyer, you can perhaps look out for some conference or workshop which concerns law and then communicate your desire to participate.
jhaji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2012, 09:03   #22
BHPian

Hi,

I need some urgent advice.

I am planning a trip to Manali from 16th Nov for 4 to 5 days. I will be with wife and two kids Kids are 9 and 5. The intention is to relax and see / play in snow for at least a day. The rest of days, just chill out, take walks and drives around Manali.
I have a few questions:
1. Is this is good time to go to Manali? I was told that Rohtang pass is closed from October. Is it that I cannot go past Rohtang OR is it that I cannot even drive upto Rohtang
2. Will there be places where I can go (with family) and get to see / play in snow
3. Is it a safe time to travel (from a perspective of weather) with family? Will it be a good time to take short walks (not long treks), with kids?

Thanks,
Tushar
Old 1st November 2012, 09:34   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptushar
Hi,

I need some urgent advice.

I am planning a trip to Manali from 16th Nov for 4 to 5 days. I will be with wife and two kids Kids are 9 and 5. The intention is to relax and see / play in snow for at least a day. The rest of days, just chill out, take walks and drives around Manali.
I have a few questions:
1. Is this is good time to go to Manali? I was told that Rohtang pass is closed from October. Is it that I cannot go past Rohtang OR is it that I cannot even drive upto Rohtang
2. Will there be places where I can go (with family) and get to see / play in snow
3. Is it a safe time to travel (from a perspective of weather) with family? Will it be a good time to take short walks (not long treks), with kids?

Thanks,
Tushar
Yes Rohtang is closed.You would not be allowed to go uptil Rohtang the road to Rohtang itself would be closed.There would be snow and skiing etc at Gulaba which is enroute to Rohtang.If going in your own car parking would be a hugee problem,as everybody parks on the road.Even if you get parking,taking the car out would be a bigger problem.I would suggest you hire a local cab from your hotel and go to Gulaba.

There is no problem with the weather for the moment.All the problems are in south India at the moment.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2012, 11:46   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Yes Rohtang is closed.You would not be allowed to go uptil Rohtang the road to Rohtang itself would be closed.There would be snow and skiing etc at Gulaba which is enroute to Rohtang.If going in your own car parking would be a hugee problem,as everybody parks on the road.Even if you get parking,taking the car out would be a bigger problem.I would suggest you hire a local cab from your hotel and go to Gulaba.
Great. Thanks so much for the update. Not really particular about Rohtang as such. As far as my kids get to make their snowman, they should be okay. I am traveling by Train / bus. So will probably hire a local cab from the hotel and travel around Manali. Thanks for the response.
Old 1st November 2012, 11:57   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptushar View Post
Great. Thanks so much for the update. Not really particular about Rohtang as such. As far as my kids get to make their snowman, they should be okay. I am traveling by Train / bus. So will probably hire a local cab from the hotel and travel around Manali. Thanks for the response.
Train to where and bus from where?Delhi-Manali is a long drive by road (12+hours by road and almost 9hours on the hills).Doing a break journey and travelling might be a good idea.Maybe a Delhi-Shimla,Shimla-Manali,Manali-Chandigarh,Chandigarh-Delhi?
Old 1st November 2012, 12:10   #26
BHPian

I am planning Delhi to Chandigarh and then from Chandigarh, either a bus or a taxi. Alternatively maybe I can take the overnight Volvo from Delhi to Manali. But personally I prefer the Chandigarh route as this will mean a train journey too, which the kids will enjoy. And it should be more relaxing as well.

Any guidance on this will also help. What are my options to reach Manali?

Also, is flight an option at all? I tried Cleartrip but it showed no flights on the Delhi-Kulu sector.

Last edited by ptushar : 1st November 2012 at 12:11. Reason: Spelling
Old 1st November 2012, 12:29   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am planning Delhi to Chandigarh and then from Chandigarh, either a bus or a taxi. Alternatively maybe I can take the overnight Volvo from Delhi to Manali. But personally I prefer the Chandigarh route as this will mean a train journey too, which the kids will enjoy. And it should be more relaxing as well.

Any guidance on this will also help. What are my options to reach Manali?

Also, is flight an option at all? I tried Cleartrip but it showed no flights on the Delhi-Kulu sector.
You could take the Delhi-Chandigarh Shatabdi which is an excellent train.From Chandigarh you get a cab to pick you up from the station and drive you upto Manali and stay with you for the duration of your trip and drop you back to Chandigarh.This would be the easiest way to do it.I would advise the Volvo as the last option.

On your return you can get the car to drop you back to Chandigarh station and you can take the Shatabdi back to Delhi or alternately you can take a flight to Mumbai from Chandigarh.Almost all the airlines fly the BOM-IXC-BOM sector on a daily basis.The flights to Shimla & Bhuntar (Kullu) have been suspended from July this year.Only Indian and Kingfisher flew prior to that and both have stopped.Himachal has three airports at Bhuntar,Shimla and Kangra but zero commercial flights.Even when the option was there,tickets were horribly expensive-a round trip for one easily costed around 13-14k from Delhi.

Hiring a cab from Chandigarh and keeping it with you for the entire trip is the most advisable thing to do,the drivers are usually very well versed with all the routes and take you around to all the places,plus you have the added advantage of altering your schedules as per your convenience.
Old 1st November 2012, 17:41   #28
BHPian

Thanks ranjitp1. Any idea on what would be a reasonable cost for hiring a cab for 5 days?
Also, what would be the travel time from Manali to Chandigarh by cab? By what time do I need to leave Manali to be able to catch a 6:00 pm flight from Chandigarh?

Last edited by ptushar : 1st November 2012 at 17:43. Reason: Additional question
Old 1st November 2012, 18:55   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks ranjitp1. Any idea on what would be a reasonable cost for hiring a cab for 5 days?
Also, what would be the travel time from Manali to Chandigarh by cab? By what time do I need to leave Manali to be able to catch a 6:00 pm flight from Chandigarh?
Somebody on TBHP from Chandigargh should be able to help with you with rates for a cab.The cabs should cost you around 8-10rs a kilometer( all cabs charge you for to and fro distance,and Manali is approx 350kms from CHD which means IMO the round trip with 5 nights stay(driver charges etc)should come to about 10k-I am just doing a guesstimate.At Manali,River Country Resort (www.rivercountrymanali.co.in) is a good place to stay right at the entry into Manali and by the Beas River,location wise excellent.I shall pm you a person's contacts details who would be able to help you with a car.This is our travelogue when we went there a couple of years back http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...delhi-hyd.html

Manali-Chandigarh should take you around 7hours(+-BUDGETING for traffic jams and bad road sections) easily.IMO For a 6pm flight,airport checkin would be at 4pm,which means you should be leaving Chandigarh after an early breakfast around 6-7am budgeting for traffic jams,bad roads etc enroute.Best would be to leave early and carry packed breakfast with you or else plenty of dhabas enroute,you could make Sundernagar your breakfast halt place-plenty of dhabas.
Old 15th October 2022, 07:52   #30
BHPian

Re: Going to Shimla, Manali

Hi all. Bumping up this old thread.

Is there any self driving option available for Shimla and Manali? If anyone can provide the contact for hiring of self driving vehicle for Shimla and Manali, I will be much obliged.

Regards.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks