Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2009, 08:45   #1
BHPian

Dalhousie - Srinagar is just 283 kms?

Hi,

I stumbled on this unheard route while browing through Yahoo Maps. Looks like there is a very less travelled route Dalhouise via Doda, Kishtwar that goes to Anantnag. From thsi route, Srinagar is Just 283 kms. You dont touch Jammu region at any point. Just 60kms from Dalhouise, you enter J&K at Doda district.

The map doesnt show much inhabitation on this route. The road condition is not known and might be bad also, so I am tempted to do it on a bicycle/bike.

Anyone been to this route? I am concerned also about the safety part. We hardly hear about Doda/Kishtwar. The only time I have heard about it is when there is either a terrorist event or any snowfall. Is it required to have permits to enter thia area?

Here is the link to info on yahoo maps:
Yahoo! India Maps

Thanks,
Jyoti
Old 20th January 2009, 11:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recker_us View Post
Hi,

Anyone been to this route? I am concerned also about the safety part. We hardly hear about Doda/Kishtwar. The only time I have heard about it is when there is either a terrorist event or any snowfall. Is it required to have permits to enter thia area?

Here is the link to info on yahoo maps:
Yahoo! India Maps

Thanks,
Jyoti

Kishtwar
is a very beautiful place. I have very fond memories of living there as a kid. Yes, its been hit by militancy now and taking that route is not recommended.

OT: If you are a daredevil and don't fear anything, just take a trip that road. You'll love it. A journey of a lifetime.
Old 21st January 2009, 10:25   #3
BHPian

Has anyone been to Doda/Kishtwar area offlate?

Thansk,
Jp
Old 29th January 2009, 21:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recker_us View Post
Has anyone been to Doda/Kishtwar area offlate?
Both are in the news for all the wrong reasons! I'd say you better avoid them.
And certainly do not venture there on a bicycle.
Old 30th January 2009, 15:24   #5
Senior - BHPian

AFAIK that route is still not operational. Maybe you can try it out on a bicycle but do not venture alone. Scenic route it should be but the conditions will not be very comfortable. Entry/ Exit will be from the Pangi valley in Chamba and would take you near to Sach pass which is now connected to the Keylong Sub division now enroute to Manali. Explore that route and I am sure you will not be dissappointed.
Old 30th January 2009, 16:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

It is open as per accounts this year (Sach pass).

And in 2004 (?) when a bunch of bulleteers rode that way after the Udaipur side to Leh was closed - there's a post here:
Yahoo! Groups
Old 16th May 2011, 11:27   #7

Re: Dalhousie - Srinagar in just 283 kms

Hi. Has anyone done the Chamba-Bhaderwah-Doda route recently (=2010/2011)? Is it likely to be open in early June? Also, any information on the general safety situation in Doda and Kishtwar in Jammu would be much appreciated.

Ishan

Last edited by ishan.agarwal : 16th May 2011 at 11:45.
Old 16th May 2011, 12:22   #8
Team-BHP Support

The only problem with your route is "militancy". So its mostly avoided. But as others said, if you are a daredevil, go for it!
Old 1st March 2013, 18:50   #9
J.Ravi

What is the best route from Chamba [HP] to Srinagar [J&K]? MMI shows the shortest route on SH 35 via Bhaderwah and Doda, but Google Maps shows the longer route via Pathankot. Will the shortest route recommended by MMI be a good motorable one for a sedan in September? Kindly advise.

Old 1st March 2013, 22:02   #10
BHPian

J.Ravi
Hi
The Pathankot route is definitely longer when you travel from Srinagar to Chamba.You dont have to go anywhere near it.
The route to be taken is the so called defence road and over the Ranjit Sagar dam and at a certain point you turn towards Dalhousie/Chamba.This was given by a resident of Srinagar who drives to Dalhousie more than 10 times a year.
Unfortunately for me I asked a truck driver for directions after the dam and I landed up at Pathankot and that too after getting stuck at the J&K/HP border.
Regards
faustus77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2013, 12:38   #11

I did the Chamba-Bhaderwah road in early June 2011 in an Innova. The road is mostly unmetalled in J&K and we were really lucky to make it through without a puncture. There is a small pass at about 3200m which gets snowed in for much of the year. We were told by some troops at an army camp that it was cleared ten days before we got there, and then it rained and was closed off a week after we passed through. Took us about 10 hrs, Chamba-Bhaderwah. One of the most beautiful drives I've been on, but I wouldn't suggest it in a low-slung sedan. It is also quite a desolate drive, with little traffic and a few tiny villages, so a tyre repair kit might be a good idea. And you should check about the snow at the pass. Good luck!
ishan.agarwal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2013, 13:57   #12
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
The route to be taken is the so called defence road and over the Ranjit Sagar dam and at a certain point you turn towards Dalhousie/Chamba.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishan.agarwal View Post
I did the Chamba-Bhaderwah road in early June 2011 in an Innova. The road is mostly unmetalled in J&K and we were really lucky to make it through without a puncture.
Thanks a lot, faustus77 and ishan.agarwal for kind suggestions. After weighing pros and cons, I am inclined to take the route via Ranjit Sagar Dam and Udhampur. In a rare coincidence, both MMI and Google Maps agree on this route!

Old 6th March 2013, 00:57   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Thanks a lot, faustus77 and ishan.agarwal for kind suggestions. After weighing pros and cons, I am inclined to take the route via Ranjit Sagar Dam and Udhampur. In a rare coincidence, both MMI and Google Maps agree on this route!
Hi.
Udhampur Dhar and then on to Dalhousie.
When you start your journey on the dam the security guys will give you a chit which you have to surrender at the end.However they may check in between but give the chit only at the end.
Lakhanpur was the place where I got unnecessary stuck as I took a wrong turn.
Regards
faustus77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2013, 08:11   #14
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
When you start your journey on the dam the security guys will give you a chit which you have to surrender at the end.
Thanks a lot, Sir, for the valuable suggestion. BTW, I found out that a 592 m long cable-stayed bridge at Basohli is scheduled to be completed by September 2014 only according to this news report. After completion, it will provide a connectivity to NH 1A and areas besides Ranjit Sagar Dam.

Name:  BasohliBridge 1.png
Views: 1447
Size:  274.3 KB

Old 6th March 2013, 08:36   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: Dalhousie - Srinagar is just 283 kms?

They have been talking about the Basohli-Bhaderwah-Kishtwar route for last any years ever since Ghulam Nabi Azad was CM of J&K!

Currently, the Kyari-Bhaderwah road is mostly dirt, very narrow & gets closed down due to snow fall between Bani & Bhaderwah.

The next linkage from Kishtwar to Anantanag is via Sinthan Pass. This road has been improved tremendously in the last few years but still a snow-bound road between Chingham & Dakshum across Sinthan Top.

I am quite sceptical of this route ever being pen round the year although it will definitely provide some relief in the summer.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks