Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2009, 22:08   #16
Senior - BHPian

navanirman golf stadium .Near to Puthencruz.Dont know the directions.it is very near to puthenkuriz.
Old 30th January 2009, 00:13   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynx View Post

So, the only ghat roads in the entire trip are the Mysore-Ooty and Vythiri-Kalpetta? I was under the impression that the road to Sultan Battery and the road out of it would also be ghat roads?

Cochin-Paravur-Kodungallur-Chavakkad-Kunnamkulam-Edappal-Kuttipuram-Valancherry-Kottakkal-Ramanattukara-Feroke-Calicut-Wayanad Road-Calicut-Thamaraserry-Adivaram-Vythiri-Kalpetta-Sultan's Battery-Gundulpet-Nanjangud-Mysore-Nanjangud-Gundulpet-Bandipur-Mudumalai/Theppekadu-Masinagudi-Kalhatti-Ooty.

If from the above route you have mentioned, if ghat roads are removed, what would the route look like and which would be the places of interest then? We would still be able to cover Wayanad, Mysore, Bandipur, Mudumalai, and Coimbatore (and then Bangalore via Satyamangalam)? How much alterations would be there in the route that way?

I have never driven on ghat roads in my life before and nobody else in the five have more than a grand kilometers of driving together, so I am a bit apprehensive of trying to do it for the first time in a new car as well. Or if there are options of parking the car at the foothill and then going up to the hill station, visiting it and coming back to pick up the car and then drive to the next, it would be great too. Sorry again for asking so many questions. We would really like this first trip to go without hassles and none of the guides offline or online are helping me well with this research.

Thanks once again!
Ghat roads - Adivaram-Vythiri is the ghat road, as are Masinagudi-Kalhatti-Ooty, Gudalur-Kalhatti-Ooty, Kuttipuram-Valancherry. If you want to go to Coimbatore from Mysore, you climb up ghats between Chamarajanagar and Sathyamangalam and if you go from Ooty to Coimbatore, you climb down ghats between Ooty and Mettupalayam.

The only ghat road to be really worried about is the Masinagudi-Kalhatti road which is very steep and needs some skilled driving, the road being not only very steep but also narrow. All other ghats are business as usual. I don't think it is a great idea to leave the car at the foothills (where will you do it anyway) and drive up using public transport/ taxis. Not only will access to such means of transport be limited, but also it takes away all the charm of driving your own car to that place.
Old 30th January 2009, 12:48   #18
BHPian

Thanks a lot Kumar. The information you have given so far is amazing. Thanks again!
Old 9th August 2010, 17:26   #19
MCR
BHPian

Places to see in Cochin / Ernakulam

We are planning for a two day weekend holiday to Kochi / Ernakulam. Please suggest the places to see and a decent place to stay and eat. We will be travelling by KSRTC volvo.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks