Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2009, 16:46   #1
VMG
BHPian

Chennai to Ahobilam (near Cuddapah, AP) : Route Queries

Planning to drive from Chennai to Ahobilam. which is the good route?
How much distance? how long it will take to reach? what about road condition? Thanks
Old 30th January 2009, 17:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

According to mapymyindia its around 400 kms and route shown is via Thirutanni, Tirupathi, Rayachoti...

I guess it would take around 8 hrs

Refer posts 21 and 22 of this thread to get the route details till Tirupathi

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...io-1-2-ov.html

Last edited by Surprise : 30th January 2009 at 17:08.
Old 30th January 2009, 17:16   #3
BANNED

Until Cudappah, I would recommend:

NH5 - Tada - Srikalahasti - Renigunta - Erpedu - Tirupati - NH205 - Pileru - NH18 - Rayachoti - Cudappah

You will find reasonable traffic for company until Pileru. After that, expect sparse traffic on NH18 especially if you hit this stretch post lunch.

Roads are generally good but watch your speed as both NH205 and NH18 are a mix of superb roads and sudden craters (when I was last on this stretch).
Old 30th January 2009, 17:34   #4
VMG
BHPian

Thanks.
Is NH18 or 205 are 4 lane divided lanes?
Old 30th January 2009, 17:39   #5
VMG
BHPian

which one is better NH18 all the way from Tirupathi or from renegunta take NH205 than NH18?
Are both 205 and 18 good 4 lane divided roads?
Old 30th January 2009, 20:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

I would take NH4 till Chitoor, switch over to NH18 and go via Pileru, Rayachoti and Kadapa to Allegada. From Allegada, turn off to Ahobilam which is 24 kms to the right.

Distance particulars are as follows:
Madras Poonamalle-NH4-Kanchipuram 60 kms-Wallajahpet 35-Ranipet 5-Chittoor 55-NH18-Pileru 55-Rayachoti 55-Kadapa 55-Mydakur 30-Allegada 55-turn right off Nh18-Ahobilam 24, totalling 430 kms.

While Nh4 till Wallajahpet is 4-laned, rest is conventional 2-laned road. Please bear in mind that NH18 from Chitoor onwards is quite lonely and may be advisable to go by day. Facilities are also poor. Kadapa is a large town after Chitoor, which can be bypassed.
Old 3rd February 2009, 12:20   #7
VMG
BHPian

I think NH5 is very good road with 4 lanes & divided highway. Is it advisiable to drive on NH5 and take a diversion from Nellore or Kavali to Ahobilm.
Old 3rd February 2009, 19:07   #8
BANNED

The NH5 option seems a little round about plus an unknown angel. The other 2 suggestions are both known devils.

NH205 is neither divided nor 4 laned - it is 2 laned for most part except for the stretch between just after Sri Kalahasti and Tirupati. Post Tirupati, it becomes a 2 lane highway.

The turn off after Chittoor towards NH18 has extremely bad patches for the first few km (last time I went).

Would suggest Kumar's route or my original suggestion (if you want to try something new - you will enjoy this route if you like winding roads)

Whichever route you take, start early and reach before sunset. Internal AP highways are pretty deserted in the daytime, night would be really adventurous.

Zero facilities between towns. Carry food if you're particular.
Old 4th February 2009, 10:50   #9
BHPian

I went from Chennai to Ahobilam in October 2007 and took the Tiruttani - Tirupathi route. I remember in certain sections, the roads were downright pathetic. There is a 10-12 km route till you reach the foothills that has no street lights and lots of pot holes. Cover that distance when its light out, I went at night and it wasn't the smartest thing to do. There is an excellent APTDC motel at the foothills, it had just opened and was very clean.
Old 12th September 2012, 11:22   #10
BHPian

re: Chennai to Ahobilam (near Cuddapah, AP) : Route Queries

Hi

I plan to drive from Chennai to Ahobilam in the last weekend of Sept. Please advise route to be taken. I see the posts here are old and some roads might have improved/deteriorated since then. So please let me know what is the best route in terms of road conditions. I would prefer a longer route with good roads rather than a shorter one riddled with potholes.

Thanks
Madhav
Old 12th September 2012, 13:55   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddyoni10 View Post
I plan to drive from Chennai to Ahobilam
Till Kadapa, the best route is Madras-Tada-Nayudupeta-Kalahasti-Rajampeta-Kadapa. Road conditions are pretty decent, not runway-like. Turnoffs are well marked. You should make it in 5 hrs change. Check the HYD-Tirupati thread for the NH18 north of Kadapa. An Ahobilam travelogue (ex-Hyd) was recently written by venki.bala, you can check that on Ahobilam related details.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2012, 14:22   #12
BHPian

Thank you Sir. I will keep this in mind. I have to pickup a cousin and uncle on the way. So may have to detour a little. Thanks again for the prompt reply. Shall try and write a travelogue.

Regards
Madhav
Old 12th September 2012, 15:35   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddyoni10 View Post
Hi

I plan to drive from Chennai to Ahobilam in the last weekend of Sept. Please advise route to be taken. I see the posts here are old and some roads might have improved/deteriorated since then. So please let me know what is the best route in terms of road conditions. I would prefer a longer route with good roads rather than a shorter one riddled with potholes.

Thanks
Madhav
I donot have any updates on Chennai - Kadapa road conditions but a general warning though, NH 40 is getting widened between Kurnool till tirupati. So expect delays due to constructions.
venki.bala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2012, 16:04   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venki.bala View Post
I donot have any updates on Chennai - Kadapa road conditions but a general warning though, NH 40 is getting widened between Kurnool till tirupati. So expect delays due to constructions.

The road widening is only on the Kurnool - Kadapa sector.
srimath is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2012, 16:18   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srimath View Post
The road widening is only on the Kurnool - Kadapa sector.
Oh. Thanks for correcting me. I assumed that the entire highway is getting widened.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks