Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2009, 12:21   #1
BHPian

Mumbai-Bhubaneshwar-Hyderabad-Mumbai.

I am planning to drive from Mumbai to Orissa and return by the East coast Road to Vijaywada thru Hyderabad- Mumbai leaving on 17th Feb.2009 and returning on 10th March 2009 in my Scorpio.
My route. MUMBAI-DHULE-NH3
DHULE-NAGPUR-RAIPUR-SAMBALPUR-NH6
SAMBALPUR-CUTTACK-NH42
CUTTACK-BHUBANESHWAR-VISHAKAPATNAM-VIJAYAWADA-NH5
VIJAYAWADA-HYDERABAD-SOLAPUR-PUNE-NH9
PUNE-MUMBAI-EXPRESSWAY.

STOPS-AKOLA-1NIGHT,PENCH-3NIGHTS,RAIPUR-1NIGHT,HIRAKUD-2NIGHTS, BHUBANESHWAR-2NIGHTS,BHITARKANIKA-2NIGHTS,CHILKA-2NIGHTS,PURI-2NIGHTS,VISHAKAPATNAM-1NIGHT,MACHALIPATNAM-1NIGHT,HYDERABAD-2NIGHTS,BHIGWAN-2NIGHTS + 2 BUFFER DAYS-TOTAL 21DAYS.

I need help on road conditions and safety concerns
Old 5th February 2009, 08:46   #2
BHPian

Somebody can give me some info on road conditions on NH 42, Sambalpur to Cuttack
Old 5th February 2009, 10:42   #3
BHPian

Mumbai-Nagpur-Raipur

Devoo, I can suggest on Mumbai to Raipur via nagpur.
The route i have taken is Mumbai-Chakan(Pune Bypass)->Nagar->Aurangabad-jalna-Sindkhed raja-> Mehekar-karanja->Pulgaon->Wardha->Nagpur.

The route in bold is the shortest route between aurangabad & nagpur. The road from Mehekar till Wardha is a new 2 lane state highway without much tarffic. Speeds around 120 can be maintained. Be carefull on this road as there are speed breakers near junctions & a patch of bad road around 3-4 Km. Else there is nothing to worry.

I have done this in 14 hrs in WagonR in december staring at 10.30AM from mumbai raching nagpur by 12.30 in night.

Further nagpur to raipur is straight road, but road conition is not good in chattisgarh till Durg Bypas. From there till Raipur its smooth road, but the city traffic will be present.

Also refer a thread on Mumbai to nagpur.

Be safe in night and dont give lifts as lot of people ask for lifts.
Old 5th February 2009, 14:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

H V Kumar - Driving Log Books - KUMAR's DRIVING LOG BOOKS, Bombay to Chattisgarh via Bangalore & Hyderabad, Sep 2008
Please follow the above link for the route from Raipur to Bombay via Nagpur, Wardha, Yavatmal, Mehekar, Aurangabad, Ahmednagar and Pune.

H V Kumar - Driving Log Books - KUMAR'S DRIVING LOG BOOKS North East India, Dec 2001
This has the Bombay-Hyderabad-Vijaywada-Kakinada-Vizag-Bhubaneswar route, although this was done before the GQ was built. This also has the Calcutta-Sambalpur (NH76)-Raipur-Nagpur-Akola-Bombay route.

H V Kumar - Driving Log Books - KUMAR'S DRIVING LOG BOOKS,*Golden Quadrilateral (GQ) Drive, Dec 2008
This has the entire Calcutta-Bhubaneswar-Vizag-Vijaywada-Madras route

http://hvkumar.googlepages.com/kumar...ast2cape2coast,
This has the East Coast route from Calcutta to Madras, but mostly on interior roads (partly on NH5), and has useful route info for Puri, Chilka, etc. You will also find info on the route from Kakinada to Machilapatnam without touching Vijaywada.

NH6 is in a very bad shape in many places, although it is at its worst after Sambalpur towards Keonjhar and Jashpur. I understand that NH42 from Sambalpur to Cuttack is much better.

Facilities are very poor once you cross into Chattisgarh and worsen in Orissa. Have not heard of any safety problems, but night driivng is avoidable.
Old 9th February 2009, 06:12   #5
BHPian

Thanks, Kumar & Shabbir. Kumar your spread sheets are really a great source of infomation. Will write about my experience when I return.
Old 19th February 2009, 11:47   #6
BHPian

Hi,

The road between Hyderabad -Sholapur- Pune is excellent and would take about 9-10 hours driving. Traffic gets heavy between Sholapur and Pune. Watch out for slow moving bullock carts carrying sugarcane.

You could make a stop and look at the Naldurg Fort , about 60 Kms before Sholapur.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks