Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2009, 09:32   #1

Guna Caves Kodaikanal

Hi...

I had been to kodaikanal about a month back. That was a great drive from Palani up there, for there was not much traffic and it was as if i was driving through a private road .

There we finished almost all places like lake n cockers walk etc soon. Then headed towards "Guna Caves" akka "Devil's Kitchen".But was shocked & disappointed- It’s a place that’s fenced with barbwire ever since 12 boys decided to go too deep into the caves five years ago, and didn’t come back. That was the one place we wanted to see for almost all the other sites seems familiar except for the suicide points.

Also came across a piece of news about a lucky malayalee guy, who survived his fall into one of the depths of the caves. But the saddest part is, the news is in Tamil :( . I read the English part which came on the results page.

Anyone who has gone there?? Know any guides who can guide us to the caves?? Planning to drive up here again.!

--jomzgf
Jomzgf is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2009, 10:23   #2
BHPian

I have been there done that.
Its very adventurous and people ignoring the fence is common there.
There are three places where you need to be very careful while crossing, if you slip you are dead. You need to jump from once rock to another rock to reach the end point and then you see HELL and locals call it as 'PATALA'.
Old 26th February 2009, 10:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
There are three places where you need to be very careful while crossing, if you slip you are dead. You need to jump from once rock to another rock to reach the end point and then you see HELL and locals call it as 'PATALA'.
Sounds like a video game. Is it closed now ? How is HELL like ?
Old 26th February 2009, 11:03   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Sounds like a video game.
Yes, You have to be there to believe it. People want to play real life games and endanger their lives and that includes me aswell. Curiosity KILLS .
But, I have to say that was one of thrilling experience in my life.

Quote:
Is it closed now ?
I have no idea about current condition as this was 4 years back.

Quote:
How is HELL like ?
No definition, you need to experience it.
Old 26th February 2009, 11:07   #5

Quote:
I have been there done that.
Its very adventurous and people ignoring the fence is common there.

I happened to see all these iron meshes on the ground above these deep dark holes.!This one is on the top portion, well within the fenced area. Ther is a video in youtube, in that also i think they have put meshes on these deep parts within the cave. But i'm not sure if it is the same portion which u are saying.!

Have you heard about that person who survived the fall..??
Old 26th February 2009, 11:22   #6
BHPian

See Exploring guna cave | Panorama of Doodles

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th February 2009 at 13:20. Reason: Hi, please avoid quoting an entire large post. It inconveniences our small screen & mobile readers. Thanks.
Old 26th February 2009, 11:36   #7

Quote:
Yes, You have to be there to believe it. People want to play real life games and endanger their lives and that includes me aswell. Curiosity KILLS .
But, I have to say that was one of thrilling experience in my life.

I have no idea about current condition as this was 4 years back.

No definition, you need to experience it.

U can have a look of HELL when u go there..!! But i tell you the surroundings of this HELL is beautiful.
Old 26th February 2009, 12:03   #8
BHPian

You guys are lot lucky to go now as there are meshes all around and atleast now you don't have to jump rocks .

I have no idea about the person who survived the fall, But when we went there locals say that at least once in a week people go missing.

You can have a look at this video

@esteem_lover : You can see the hell at the end of this video believe me video doesn’t do any justice.

Last edited by brraj : 26th February 2009 at 12:09.
Old 26th February 2009, 12:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

Ok, now i get it. This is called guna caves because of the movie Guna ?
Old 26th February 2009, 12:23   #10
BHPian

Yes, its named after kamalahasan's famous movie guna.
Old 26th February 2009, 12:44   #11
BHPian

Yes "Devil's kitchen" was renamed as Guna caves after Kamal shot his movie there.
Went there in 1998 during college days and had lots of adventures.Sincere suggestion would be not to indulge in any such adventures as one small mis step and even the body couldnt be collected.

Went there again in 2008 and now that place resembles a zoo,in the sense that you have fences all around and you virtually are inside a cage and see the place.But I would say the Govt is right in doing this to avoid lives being lost.

The same goes to Suicide point as well.It has been renamed as Green valley view and you have shops lined on both sides of the narrow pathway and you have heavy fencing in the view point.The beauty of the place is lost but the fencing etc serves its purpose.
Old 26th February 2009, 12:46   #12
BHPian

As brraj said, one scary place. I happened to visit even before the fences came on. There are small 'gaps' that lead you straight down the hill . A lot of ppl have lost their lives here accidentally.
Old 26th February 2009, 13:04   #13

yes this is the video that i mentioned. There is a link in tamil news. Can i paste the link here?

Last edited by Rehaan : 26th February 2009 at 13:19. Reason: Yes you may post the link. Also, please avoid quoting an entire large post. It inconveniences our small screen viewers.
Old 26th February 2009, 13:13   #14
BANNED

Amazing place.. Sad it has been fanced out. If done with safety equipment could have been a awesome place to go for a hike.
Old 26th February 2009, 13:15   #15

dear brraj

How did you go down there.? was there guide to help you out?

And regarding the guy who was rescued, there is a link in thatstami.oneindia.com .

The story goes like this. This guy along with his friends went for the trip without the parents knowledge. They had had liquor too it seems. while trying to explore the caves, this guy fell. All the others were in panic as they cannot call up home and say this news. The authorities also had no hope. Then one other guy in the gang thought of going near the spot and he called out for his friend and he replied. So the second guy said he would rescue his friend and asked to give a rope and threw it down.

This is the story behind the fall and rescue that i heard. May be that guy who fell was lucky enough that he did not go too deep.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks