Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2009, 22:05   #1

Hyderabad - Horseley Hills

Hi,

I am a new member of Team-bhp but have been a fan and visitor of this site for a long time. Infact, I've taken advise on a lot of my road trips from the various posts in this forum.

I needed some help in planning my next trip and am looking at suggestions which you guys have to offer. I plan to do Hyderabad - Horseley Hills sometime next month (March 3rd or 4th week) in a car over three days. It would be great if you could help me regarding:
- Which is the best route to take? In terms of good roads. A few extra kilometers are preferred if roads are good.
- Which are the places to see in and around Horseley Hills? Trippy spots over regular tourist points are preferred?
- Which is best place to stay there? I've heard of an APTDC resort in a scenic location. Is it the best? How does one book it?

Thanks in advance for all help. I did Hyderabad - Gokarna last week and it was awesome. I'll post my travellogue soon regarding it as I realized currently none exists for it.

~sumitj
Old 2nd March 2009, 01:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

Welcome and check HYD - MAA / TPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitj View Post
Hi,

I am a new member of Team-bhp but have been a fan and visitor of this site for a long time. Infact, I've taken advise on a lot of my road trips from the various posts in this forum.

I needed some help in planning my next trip and am looking at suggestions which you guys have to offer. I plan to do Hyderabad - Horseley Hills sometime next month (March 3rd or 4th week) in a car over three days. It would be great if you could help me regarding:
- Which is the best route to take? In terms of good roads. A few extra kilometers are preferred if roads are good.
- Which are the places to see in and around Horseley Hills? Trippy spots over regular tourist points are preferred?
- Which is best place to stay there? I've heard of an APTDC resort in a scenic location. Is it the best? How does one book it?

Thanks in advance for all help. I did Hyderabad - Gokarna last week and it was awesome. I'll post my travellogue soon regarding it as I realized currently none exists for it.

~sumitj
Hi Sumit and welcome to TBHP. Check the threads on routes and road conditions to Chennai and/or Tirupathi. (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ne-2008-a.html). That covers the major distance to your destination.

Some others may be able to advise you on the Tirupati / Madanapalle bits.

TBHP- Hyderabad chapter is planning a drive on March 15. Please check the "Meets" section of the forum for additional info.

Cheers and have a good trip.
Old 2nd March 2009, 10:20   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

~sumitj
The best route is take the Bangalore Highway, reach till gooty from there take left and reach Horsley Hills.

I have done twice
you can check out my travelogue
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...nikon-d60.html (Horsley Hills,Talakona and a NIKON D60)
Old 2nd March 2009, 12:36   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Sumit, welcome to hyderabad tbhp. Never been to Horsley Hills but heard its a nice place. I am not sure if it will be any cooler than other plains though, I assume your travelling on the March 27th holiday long weekend.

Romyeo, can you add some inputs of possible temps during March?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
TBHP- Hyderabad chapter is planning a drive on March 15. Please check the "Meets" section of the forum for additional info
Nice advertisement. I like it, I very much like it

Sumit, Hyd folks are going for a drive as mentioned by Raveendra, do check the meet section and hope you can join us on that drive. Cheerio
Old 2nd March 2009, 14:02   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Sumit, welcome to hyderabad tbhp. Never been to Horsley Hills but heard its a nice place. I am not sure if it will be any cooler than other plains though, I assume your travelling on the March 27th holiday long weekend.

Romyeo, can you add some inputs of possible temps during March?
I feel Horsley hills is a place best enjoyed during the peak winter or right after the monsoon. I think it will be very hot atleast till you reach madanapalli.
Old 2nd March 2009, 14:06   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romyeo4u View Post
I feel Horsley hills is a place best enjoyed during the peak winter or right after the monsoon. I think it will be very hot atleast till you reach madanapalli.
Exactly, i felt the same. It would be too hot at this time of the year. Btw, how many kms is it from Hyderabad?

Sumit, why dont you look at Mahabaleshwar if the distance is around the same? That place would certainly be cooler for sure
Old 2nd March 2009, 14:23   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Exactly, i felt the same. It would be too hot at this time of the year. Btw, how many kms is it from Hyderabad?

Sumit, why dont you look at Mahabaleshwar if the distance is around the same? That place would certainly be cooler for sure

as per mapmyindia Hyd to Mahabaleshwar is 594km and Hyd to Horseley Hills is 577Km.
Old 3rd March 2009, 23:36   #8
BHPian

There is only one hotel at the Top. Rooms are very clean and enough big. We had a nice exp there. We also had home made desi chicken. You have a small swimming pool there.

Beware of the drunken people. Some people attack on us last time when we was in pool.
Old 17th March 2009, 16:26   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Mobike, any more inputs on Mahabaleshwar and the nearby places?
Old 23rd March 2009, 17:20   #10
BHPian

Hyderabad to Mahabaleshwar road is good, Hyd-Sholapur-Satara Road- Panchgani-Mahabaleshwar. Hyd to Sholapur is a NH and is good. Rest of the way are SH's but are in good condition.

Panchgani has a Strawberry festival sometime in early April.
Old 24th March 2009, 11:07   #11
BHPian

Mahabaleshwar-Panchgani

@ Dadi Bhote - Thanks for the info. I am considerig doing a road trip to Mahabaleshwar-Panchgani in late-April. Can you make any recommendations on the accommodation in Mahabaleshwar, and a 4-day itinerary (not including the travel time from Hyderabad) covering Mahabaleshwar and Panchgani.
Old 24th March 2009, 11:30   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagvasireddy View Post
@ Dadi Bhote - Thanks for the info. I am considerig doing a road trip to Mahabaleshwar-Panchgani in late-April. Can you make any recommendations on the accommodation in Mahabaleshwar, and a 4-day itinerary (not including the travel time from Hyderabad) covering Mahabaleshwar and Panchgani.
4 days is a sufficient time to cover both places. Panchagni and Mahabaleshwar are like our twin cities. Almost adjacent to each other.

There are quite a few spots to check out in Mahabaleshwar. I use to go there several times on bikes when i lived in Pune. I dont remember the exact tourist spots now. Even i have this place in my agenda sometime this year.

You will enjoy the curvy ghat roads and roads in Mahabaleshwar and especially those fresh strawberry ice-creams sold my those cycle vendors. Awesome stuff.

It's is Hyd-Pune road which as we all know is quite good ( Just before entering pune) you need to take the bypass and head towards Mahabaleshwar which is about 120kms from Pune. So overall, from Hyderabad it should be around 650kms.
Old 24th March 2009, 11:41   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

~sumitj
Sumit, welcome to T-Bhp.

There are nothing much to see in and around horseley hills. It's a small hilltop wherein your primary intention would be to relax. There is only one resort, owned by APTDC. Some time back it was called Punnami resorts, now renamed as Haritha Horseley Hills. The resort has quite a few buildings, with various prices (Rs. 600-1800). ("Governor's bunglow" is the best of the buildings, though we stayed in "Whistle Winds" which was quite nice too @ Rs. 1000/night inclusive BF).
Inside the resort, they have a nice big swimming pool for both adults and kids (charge was 50/- per hour) and some adventure sports (outsourced to some private agency). Apart from that, there are some view points which is walkable and you get a good view of the hills and the slopes. There is also a very small zoo opposite to the resort which is nice for kids.
They have a restaurant and a bar in the resort. The restaurant is managed my a person who barely has any manners and treats guests quite high-handedly. The food is okay, though quite costly for the taste and quantity given. There is a small restuarant just outside the resort opposite to the resort restuarant. (From the outside, it looks like a xerox shop). They make awesome non-veg food. We used to take food from that guy to our building, without telling the resort people.

Some phone numbers:
Prasad (Mgr at HH)- 09440272241
Devdas (Reception Person)- 09440656322
Bangalore office no: 080-41136373 (kalyan-Mgr, Prakash, Murthy).

Thanks.
-Nandi.
(Attaching a couple of pics, quality would be bad as taken with my cell camera).
Attached Thumbnails
Hyderabad - Horseley Hills-25102008011.jpg  

Hyderabad - Horseley Hills-27102008006.jpg  

Old 24th March 2009, 11:47   #14
Senior - BHPian

Im also planning a trip to Mahabaleswar in May 09.Heard there are many interesting places in and around.But i was told that accomodation and hotels is a tough job.Any suggestions?
Old 24th March 2009, 11:56   #15
BHPian

Avi/Nag..did this trip in Oct'08.The route that I took was Hyderabad-Sholapur-Pandarpur-Satara-Mahabaleshwar..total 570 kms.

I guess this would be the best and the shortest option from Hyderabad to reach Mahabaleshwar.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks