Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2009, 23:01   #1
BHPian

Ooty - Travel Advice

Hi Guys,

I'm planning to go out to ooty, this may so need some advice on good hotels.
Planning to stay there for 4 days or so ...need some advice on locations in and around Ooty which are good for travel(Family of Four Me,mom,dad & sis).

budget is 15k-16k ..it would be good if you can advice a lil on economy side...although if the hotel is worth it...then yeah i will go for it.Also need advice on plan currently thinking of taking a train direct to Ooty from Hyderabad.Also any Must Vist places on the way..please suggest

Thanks guys ..Thanks Very much and mods i hope this is right place for me to post this

Regards
Krishna
Old 22nd March 2009, 23:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

Did you mean your budget is around 16K for 4 days ? If so, that works out to around 4K per day ! And since you need two rooms, it further works out to 2K per room ! Had been to Ooty last fortnight and had stayed at Sterling Fernhill which was quite good and had good facilities. Around 2.5K to 3K per day. Check out their website for rates. They also have bigger cottages that can accomodate 4 persons. BTW, stayed at Taj Savoy the last time round and it costed around 3.2K per day for a double room. Hope this helps.
Old 23rd March 2009, 10:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

Fortune Sullivan Court is quite good, as is perhaps Nahar. Nahar seems to the best place for eating out (if you like North Indian stuff).
Places to visit:
Pykara, Dolphin's Peak, etc; Conoor, Wellington, Botanical Gardens, highest peak. All are about 15-20 kms or near.
Generally, weather is misty and great; people are friendly, and overall an excellent place to relax.
Old 23rd March 2009, 10:28   #4
BHPian

Last time i was in Ooty i stayed at Fortune Retreat

Check the link below for more details. Am sure you will love this place.

www.fortuneretreats.com-Fortune Retreats Condominium (P) Ltd, www.fortuneholidays.com, www.fortuneholidayresorts.com, </font>
Old 23rd March 2009, 10:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

You got to plan & book fast.

The TTDC hotel has cottages that can accomodate all of you. Worth a try.

here's a link for that
TAMILNADU TOURISM DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION
Old 23rd March 2009, 11:59   #6
BHPian

Hi,
We were at Holiday Inn Gem Park, ooty in December 2nd week. We were 3 adults and 1 child, we had a large Delux Bedroom, with additional cot/Bed for additional adult. For 3 nights and 4 days including Breakfast and Dinner, it was around 19K, however it was a lean tourist period.

I rate my experience as above good, however indoor Swimming pool was closed.

Thanks
Manju
Old 23rd March 2009, 12:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

Once I've stayed in Hotel Villa Park (previously known as Dasaprakash). The view from the place was very nice and rooms were very neat and clean. But it was approx 2 years back. I heard good things about Fern hill also. TTDC normal rooms were not that good but the Cottage was nice.
I don't think you can get a direct train to Ooty from Hyderabaad. If you are keen on traveling by train then you can come till Coimbatore and then you need to go to Mettupalayam and from there you can catch the famous toy train to Ooty. But mind you it's gonna take lots of time.
Tourist attractions in and around Ooty are the regular Botanical Garden (will be swarmed with ppl all the time), Ooty lake (boating there is an nice experience specially in the evening time).. Doddabetta peak, again will be full of people.
Then you can move towards Kunoor, on the way you can see Ketty Valley. Then in Kunoor you've Sim's park and then you can move towards Dolphin's nose view point, from there you can see till mettupalayam plains and there is a view of the St. Catherine's falls too. On the way will be other view points like Lamb's rock view etc.
If you want to move lil' bit more then from Kunoor you can go to Kotagiri and till Kodanadu View point. Lovely place with minimal tourist. But only thing you can do is to soak yourself in the 180 degree panoramic view of the Mudumalai forest range from the top of the hill.
Now if you come the other way, i.e. towards Gudalur, you can go to Pykara Lake, and there is some shooting place and a grassy meadow is there. Also you can go to the Sixth mile lake.
Probably if you've time then you can go towards Avalanche too. This is the other way towards Mukurthi WLS. But roads were not in very good shape.
Whoops enough of options to keep yourself busy. Enjoy ;-)
Old 23rd March 2009, 12:45   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post
Did you mean your budget is around 16K for 4 days ? If so, that works out to around 4K per day ! And since you need two rooms, it further works out to 2K per room ! Had been to Ooty last fortnight and had stayed at Fernhill which was quite good and had good facilities. Around 2.5K to 3K per day. Check out their website for rates. They also have bigger cottages that can accomodate 4 persons. BTW, stayed at Taj Savoy the last time round and it costed around 3.2K per day for a double room. Hope this helps.
Taj Savoy so Double Room means its for 4 adults is it...and fernhill is that sterling Fernhill you are talking about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Fortune Sullivan Court is quite good, as is perhaps Nahar. Nahar seems to the best place for eating out (if you like North Indian stuff).
Places to visit:
Pykara, Dolphin's Peak, etc; Conoor, Wellington, Botanical Gardens, highest peak. All are about 15-20 kms or near.
Generally, weather is misty and great; people are friendly, and overall an excellent place to relax.
Fortune Sullivan seems good and what is budget for this hotel...and thanks for the list of places to visit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jango View Post
Last time i was in Ooty i stayed at Fortune Retreat

Check the link below for more details. Am sure you will love this place.

www.fortuneretreats.com-Fortune Retreats Condominium (P) Ltd, www.fortuneholidays.com, www.fortuneholidayresorts.com, </font>
Will check it out mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
You got to plan & book fast.

The TTDC hotel has cottages that can accomodate all of you. Worth a try.

here's a link for that
TAMILNADU TOURISM DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION
TTDC well nah mate dont want to take the risk...

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
Hi,
We were at Holiday Inn Gem Park, ooty in December 2nd week. We were 3 adults and 1 child, we had a large Delux Bedroom, with additional cot/Bed for additional adult. For 3 nights and 4 days including Breakfast and Dinner, it was around 19K, however it was a lean tourist period.

I rate my experience as above good, however indoor Swimming pool was closed.

Thanks
Manju
Hmm i'm sure it would be much costlier at this time of the year..how abt sterling is it good guys....
Old 23rd March 2009, 13:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnavamshi24 View Post
Fortune Sullivan seems good and what is budget for this hotel...and thanks for the list of places to visit
I went there in Oct 2005 and my brother (with contacts in ITC) arranged it for me at around Rs. 2,300/day for 7 nights. It is very good, neat, and food is also not expensive. However, i still found Nahar to perhaps have the best food in ooty. The whole of main Ooty is not more than 1-2 km, and we had our own private car, so going about was not a problem.
Old 23rd March 2009, 13:41   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
I went there in Oct 2005 and my brother (with contacts in ITC) arranged it for me at around Rs. 2,300/day for 7 nights. It is very good, neat, and food is also not expensive. However, i still found Nahar to perhaps have the best food in ooty. The whole of main Ooty is not more than 1-2 km, and we had our own private car, so going about was not a problem.
well you went in off season i guess...anyways will check out the prices of that as well
Old 23rd March 2009, 13:57   #11
Senior - BHPian

@ krishnavamshi24

The Taj Savoy double room was for two people only, however, they do have bigger rooms which can accomodate four but those will be more costly. And yes, I was talking about Sterling Fernhill.
Old 23rd March 2009, 14:26   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post
@ krishnavamshi24

The Taj Savoy double room was for two people only, however, they do have bigger rooms which can accomodate four but those will be more costly. And yes, I was talking about Sterling Fernhill.
any idea abt pricing
Old 23rd March 2009, 14:40   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnavamshi24 View Post
any idea abt pricing
Sterling or Savoy ? Will give you the urls for both of them here, check them out and get back if you need any further clarifications

Sterling Resorts

Luxury Hotels in India: 5 Star Business & Leisure Hotels - Taj Hotels Resorts and Palaces
Old 24th March 2009, 07:15   #14
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@ krishnavamshi24

i am planning a trip to ooty as well in the week of April 6th. i am planning to stay at sherlock hotel. Its costing me around 3500 a day.
Old 25th March 2009, 23:57   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharanidharang View Post
@ krishnavamshi24

i am planning a trip to ooty as well in the week of April 6th. i am planning to stay at sherlock hotel. Its costing me around 3500 a day.
woah thanks for the info mate...how many ppl are u guys...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks