Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2009, 14:09   #1
Senior - BHPian

Help on route from Delhi to Poanta Sahib & suggestions for Mousourie

Hey guys
I am planning a trip from Delhi to Poanta Sahib & Mousourie this weekend.
My plan is to leave Delhi early on Friday, be at the gurudwara around lunch time and after some rest leave for mousourie around 3PM via Dehradun.
  1. Is this doable in 1 day
  2. I have attached a map and there are 3 drive options. Which will the best bet?
  3. Any good hotels in Mousourie in the range 1-2k a day. We are 2 couples so need 2 rooms. We plan to stay there maybe for a 1 night. At the max 2 nights
  4. I have earlier stayed in Brentwood. But this was 12 yers back. 5 years back stayed at some hotel which was 5 kms before mousourie. So I have no idea. NEed some hotel advise as well
  5. Any other suggestions will be welcomed
Kindly advise
Attached Thumbnails
Help on route from Delhi to Poanta Sahib & suggestions for Mousourie-poanta-sahib-map.jpg  

Old 30th March 2009, 14:19   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

All three are good but modify #1 to read via Karnal-Ladwa-Raduar-Yamunagar-Jagadhri-Kalesar-Paonta-Herbetpur-Dehradun-Mussorie. Also #4 option is Delhi-Pipli-Ladwa-Yamunagar...

Of course you could be adventurous. Enjoy some lovely drive country around Herbetpur and go to Mussorie via Dakpatther-Kalsi-Yamunapul-Mussorie.

All doable in a day.
Old 1st April 2009, 07:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Sudev. Somebody told be that option #2 would be good as the truck traffic should be less on that particular route.

But bad news yesterday. We had to cancel the trip as some family function has comeup for this Sunday.
Thanks for the info anyways
Old 1st April 2009, 14:29   #4
BHPian

I go once in a month to Yamuna nagar. Option 1 is best one(5 kms less than indir ladwa). Road is good. No trucks and traffic. At 2 places Road is broken and lots of speed breakers. Indri- ladwa road is in very bad condition. On Jagadhri-Paonta raod in Haryana is not good though they were repairing it last month. To use route 1 take right from Jewel chownk to kunjpura in Karnal
Old 1st April 2009, 15:55   #5
BHPian

I went to Mussoorie in January during Republic Day weekend.

We stayed at Brentwood Hotel. It's a nice, comfortable hotel, with ample parking space. The only issue is a part of hotel is under construction, and may block your view of the doon valley.

The rooms are huge, and decent. We paid roughly 1600 bucks / night over there.
Old 1st October 2009, 14:25   #6

Mussoorie Road Via Paonta Sahib

Hi

I am planning to drive to Mussoorie tommorrow morning from Delhi . Since the Meerut road is in bad shape I was thinking of taking Delhi-Karnal-Kurukshethra Crossing-Yamuna Nagr -Paonta Sahib Route .Is that route ok ?
Or should take right cut from Karnal to Kunjpura/Indri ?
Which route is in better condition and will take less time ?
Old 1st October 2009, 19:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

Best bet is Delhi-Shahbad- Saha-Shahjadpur-Naraingarh-Kalaamb-Poanta Sahib-Herbertpur-Dehradun. Good road, less traffic(till Paonta Sahib) and very scenic.
Old 1st October 2009, 20:28   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

The Yamunanagar-Jagadhri-Paonta Sahib route is in bad shape due to ongoing road work.

@ Freyr: NH58 is not in good shape because of road work at Meerut as well as at Muzaffarnagar - but you can bypass the whole road by following the Upper Ganga Canal road from Muradnagar upto Roorkee. From Roorkee, turn left to Chhutmalpur, turn right towards Dehradun, and onwards to Mussoorie. Good drive. Might have more traffic than usual, people heading out that way on the extended weekend. On the way back you might want to try the route given below, backwards.

@ harjeev: For going to Paonta Sahib, suggest you follow this route: Delhi > Karnal > turn right > Kunjpura > Lakhnauti > Gangoh > Ambahta > Saharanpur > Behat > Timli > turn left (before reaching Herbertpur) > Paonta Sahib. Superb road, some congestion obviously at Saharanpur, but a much better and shorter route than the other options you suggested. Came back from Herbertpur this way on Sunday.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 1st October 2009 at 20:30.
Old 1st October 2009, 21:02   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

@ harjeev: the route map is given below. Don't ask to go to Sharanpur, or the locals will route you via Shamli - and the Shamli-Saharanpur section is terrible. Always ask to go to the next stop as given in the directions in my previous post.
Attached Thumbnails
Help on route from Delhi to Poanta Sahib & suggestions for Mousourie-untitled.jpg  

Old 5th October 2009, 14:41   #10

SS Traveller ,Thanks for the route guide

I took the Karnal Paonta Sahib route to get to Mussoorie
Lost direction at Kunjpura and went to Yamuna Nagar from there To Ponta Sahib
Actually at Kunjpura I was told that there is no pucca road to cross Yamuna near Ganghor(maybe wrong info ) and the road was flooded
The Yamuna Nagar Paonta Saheb stretch is really bad for the first 15kms
But after that the ride was good

While coming back I took the road from Kempty Falls to Vikas Nagar This is the highway NH123 along River Yamuna .It was an amazing road with literally no traffic .The ride was rough but the view was awesome
I would recommend the road to anyone seeking some adventure
Old 14th November 2009, 17:17   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freyr View Post
SS Traveller ,Thanks for the route guide

I took the Karnal Paonta Sahib route to get to Mussoorie
Lost direction at Kunjpura and went to Yamuna Nagar from there To Ponta Sahib
Actually at Kunjpura I was told that there is no pucca road to cross Yamuna near Ganghor(maybe wrong info ) and the road was flooded
The Yamuna Nagar Paonta Saheb stretch is really bad for the first 15kms
But after that the ride was good

While coming back I took the road from Kempty Falls to Vikas Nagar This is the highway NH123 along River Yamuna .It was an amazing road with literally no traffic .The ride was rough but the view was awesome
I would recommend the road to anyone seeking some adventure

I did this trip this month - on my new Innova - and tested all 4 suspension springs/joints . The road from Yamuna-Nagar to Chhachhrauli is not "just bad" - it does not exist anymore. All I found was a dirt track with parallel mounds of earth stacked up (showing that trucks had gone that way). I even got my undercarriage stuck in a couple of esp. bad spots (god help a car with low ground clearance).

My recommendation is to try reaching Sahranpur instead of taking the right turn at Karnal - as any road will be better than my experience on 4th November'09.

On the return trip to Delhi - I chanced the bad traffic on the Dehradun - Meerut- Delhi route rather than risk hitting my new undercarriage again.
Old 19th November 2009, 07:17   #12
BHPian

Hi,

If you want to go via Saharanpur, then use Karnal - Indri - Ladwa - Yamunanagar - Right turn - Saharanpur route. Not worth going to Kunjpura and all, IMO. After Saharanpur, the route has been well described already

Cheers
Old 8th July 2010, 15:54   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akadian View Post
Hi,

If you want to go via Saharanpur, then use Karnal - Indri - Ladwa - Yamunanagar - Right turn - Saharanpur route. Not worth going to Kunjpura and all, IMO. After Saharanpur, the route has been well described already

Cheers
Need to head in that direction in a day or two,can anyone pl update me on the condition of the road currently after the recent spell of heavy rain.

On the news till yesterday it said that the highway upto Ambala was water logged,with no movement of traffic.

Also advise on the condition of the road via Karnal-Pipli-Ladwa-Yamunagar.-Saharanpur.

Thanks in advance

cheers
Old 8th July 2010, 17:08   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
Need to head in that direction in a day or two,can anyone pl update me on the condition of the road currently after the recent spell of heavy rain.

On the news till yesterday it said that the highway upto Ambala was water logged,with no movement of traffic.

Also advise on the condition of the road via Karnal-Pipli-Ladwa-Yamunagar.-Saharanpur.

Thanks in advance

cheers
Waterlogging was just for a day,no such issues now.
I would suggest that you avoid this stretch completely,as i travelled on it in April and it was a mess.
Old 10th July 2010, 01:26   #15
Senior - BHPian

Water logging is not such an issue now but avoid pipli ladwa route. Its in shambles. The road through Ambala especially the Ambala Naraingarh stretch though not under water now but is definitely not in a very good shape either but would still be better than the Pipli Ladwa route.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks