Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2009, 11:17   #1
BHPian

Advice Needed: on the road from 10th May to 3rd June

My friend and I are planning a long-ish trip, for both work and fun. My route is Mumbai-Goa-Shimoga-Chikmaglur-Bangalore-Ooty-Kochi-Kanyakumari-Kodaikanal-Pondicherry-Chennai-Vijaywada-Hyderabad-Lonavala-Mumbai.

I've read the Essential list for a long drive and am preparing for this by looking at paper maps and online maps on yahoo. My accommodation is also firmed up, except for Kanyakumari.
Advice and tips welcome and needed!
Old 8th April 2009, 15:16   #2
BHPian

Take a digital tyre pressure gauge. keep air pressure, measured COLD, at 2-3 psi higher than recommended.
Get the car interior cleaned as often as you can, nothing beats travelling in a fresh-smelling car.
Get an early start wherever possible, most roads are empty between 6 and 8 a.m., and you will cover the same distance as you will from 8-12 noon!
Red Bull to stave off afternoon sleepiness.
Try not to drive long distance at night.
Take lots of pictures, keep a detailed log, and post it all here, when you get back.
Old 8th April 2009, 15:38   #3
BHPian

if you like rains, then make your onward journey through Chennai and while returning come back through Kochi - Goa . You may see the beginning of rainy season by that time.
Old 9th April 2009, 10:26   #4
BHPian

@filcord, thanks. These are really helpful tips. As for long distances at night, we wont be doing any, as 2 women driving I'm not keen on reaching any place after 8pm! The fresh smelling car is so important, I hadn't even considered it - will make a world of difference I'm sure!

@Matt, that sounds so lovely! But, unfortunately, thanks to work dates I have to do it the other way around :-(
Old 9th April 2009, 11:21   #5
Senior - BHPian

pepper spray maybe?

KNOCKOUT Self-Defense Pepper Spray. Your Pocket Size Personal Guard.
Old 9th April 2009, 11:47   #6
BHPian

@phamilyman - This is perfect! Thanks a ton. I had been on the look-out for something like this. The website answers all my legal questions too. I used to carry a stun gun while in the US, definitely helps to feel safe. I'm going to purchase a 'bulk' order for myself and my women friends.
Old 11th April 2009, 21:28   #7
BHPian

Car breakdown services

You might want to enroll yourself into one of the many car breakdown services available.

MyTVS Indiawide Car Breakdown Cover | Accident Recovery - CarSalesIndia.com
Old 13th April 2009, 22:11   #8
BHPian

Wow, this is perfect. The resourceful T-BHPians are giving the answers to all my questions right in my lap! Thanks for this - its been weighing heavily on my mind after Saturday night when I took my mothers brand new [plastic still on] Honda City AT for a drive and it died on me at 2am - electrical/starter problems. Had to pay 1500/- and get it towed, but going to make the dealership foot that bill!
Old 13th April 2009, 22:34   #9
BHPian

You can also check this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ong-drive.html, it has a lot of useful info.

Cheers!!!
Old 14th April 2009, 11:23   #10
Senior - BHPian

You may like to consider a hydraulic portable jack for the journey. Would make life that much easier when faced with a flat..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks