Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2009, 11:31   #1
BHPian

Need help from Chennai BHPians - Places to stay/eat/shop/etc

I am planning to drive to Chennai in the weekend. I would like to know the good places to stay , where shopping and other entertainment would be close by.

Since I am travelling with my daughter what are the good places to visit with her like amusement park etc.
Old 16th April 2009, 11:55   #2
BHPian

on second thought, would like to stay close to the city . Was told the ECR has good places to stay. Please recomend some and what would the distance to chennai be.
Do i need to enter the ECR through chennai or is there a different route when coming from Bangalore
Old 16th April 2009, 12:06   #3
BHPian

Gone are the days when Chennai was the prefered holiday/entertainment destination in the south. These days Hyderabad, Bangalore have made progress by leaps and bounds. Anyway regarding your stay it all depends on your budget and the type of accomodation you are looking at like hotels, resorts or service apartments. Good places would be T.Nagar, Mylapore or Adyar.

For entertainment you could drive down to East coast Road. On ECR you could go to MGM Dizee world (amusement park), crocodile bank(they also have a snake venom extraction centre also) , boating at Muttukadu, Dakshin Chitra ( A centre for living traditions of south india), Mayajal(multiplex) and of course Mahabalipuram. This road is lined with many restaurants so finding one that suits your tastebuds would not be a problem.

Within the city it could be the good old Marina beach or Eliots beach(which is much cleaner) in Besant nagar. For shopping its Spencer plaza or Citicentre.
Old 16th April 2009, 13:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

Adding to what has been listed, you could also go to Kishkinta near Tambaram, Queensland on the bangalore highway. You could also look at going to the Vandalur Zoo which is one of India's better maintained zoos.

I dont know whats your budget but you could try staying at this place, I use this when my colleagues visit Chennai and its fabulous VFM. You could stay at their Santhome property which is very close to the Marina. Starcity Serviced Apartments - Chennai's Finest Serviced Apartment Chain - Serviced Apartment Hotel in Chennai - Serviced Apartments in Chennai - Chennai Hotel

Let me know if you need any help, will PM you my number.
Old 16th April 2009, 13:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

Queensland is an amusement park just 20 kms outside chennai. There is also a water theme park called dash n splash on the same NH. Regarding choices of place to stay, really need to have the budget.
Old 16th April 2009, 14:28   #6
BHPian

Yes Prashanth - you need to enter through Chennai to go to ECR. You could stay in Adyar as you will be closer to ECR and away from the crowd ( adyar is less crowded compared with Tnagar, Mylapore etc).

Others have pointed out shopping malls in Madras - like Spencers and Citycenter. But if you prefer the old fashioned way of shopping - head to T nagar. The place is fully crowded with shops and you can pick odd things from the road side pavement venders too.
Old 16th April 2009, 16:11   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.prashanth View Post
I am planning to drive to Chennai in the weekend. I would like to know the good places to stay , where shopping and other entertainment would be close by.

Since I am travelling with my daughter what are the good places to visit with her like amusement park etc.
ECR is a great place to stay. MGM Dizee world has a resort inside. There are N number of places which are good, decent. I think staying at Adyar would be perfect for you. U can go to ECR as well as shop in the city.

Pls specify ur budget. It would be easier to guide you.
Old 16th April 2009, 18:21   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archish View Post
ECR is a great place to stay. MGM Dizee world has a resort inside. There are N number of places which are good, decent. I think staying at Adyar would be perfect for you. U can go to ECR as well as shop in the city.

Pls specify ur budget. It would be easier to guide you.
budget about 12k for 3 nights stay need the place close to the ECR please recomend.

what places to stay in Adyar
Old 16th April 2009, 21:52   #9
BHPian

Just a suggestion. If you have a option then you travel to some other place. Later after few rain you may try to visit Chennai. As per me it will be too hot and will may not able to enjoy Chennai.
No hurt feeling Chennai Wala
Old 17th April 2009, 00:30   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.prashanth View Post
budget about 12k for 3 nights stay need the place close to the ECR please recomend.

what places to stay in Adyar
I personally recommend a small resort known as Green Meadows on ecr on the beachside, in a locality that is close to the city and the theme parks (palavakkam).
link: Chennai Hotels-Green Meadows Resort Chennai,Chennai ECR Hotels,Beach Resorts Chennai,Green Meadows Resort ECRoad Chennai
The place is clean and beautiful, in a nice peaceful locality with a small a pool and beautiful heritage cottages to stay in. The resort also fits your budget. I can post some pics of the resort also on request!

From green meadows, commercial localities like thiruvanmiyur etc are around 20 min away and can be reached easily with an auto, or taxi. Another easy way that locals on ecr use is the share auto. A cheap way of commuting on ecr.

Chennai Citi center should suit your shopping needs, and is a nice mall with inox cinema located roughly 40 min from green meadows. Or the good old spencer plaza!

All the major theme parks in chennai can be found on ecr and your daughter will enjoy Mayajaal (link: Mayajaal).
As mentioned there are several other fun things to do on ecr and if your are into history/museums dakshinchitra (DakshinaChitra Homepage) is worth a visit. I was there last summer and it was a really well maintained outdoor museum of all old villa's, homes etc found in south india. I can post some pics if you are interested.

food is also easily available on ecr and outlets like cafe coffee day should suit your sweet-buds!
The resteraunt in the resort is pretty delicious and i have eaten there several times.

If you need more help with anything (ex: a reliable cab for touring chennai etc), feel free to contact me!

quite a long post now
cheers
Old 17th April 2009, 00:57   #11
Senior - BHPian

attaching some pics of the resort taken in 2007.
enjoy guys!
cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Need help from Chennai BHPians - Places to stay/eat/shop/etc-p1010970.jpg  

Need help from Chennai BHPians - Places to stay/eat/shop/etc-p1010975.jpg  

Need help from Chennai BHPians - Places to stay/eat/shop/etc-p1010980.jpg  

Need help from Chennai BHPians - Places to stay/eat/shop/etc-p1010985.jpg  

Need help from Chennai BHPians - Places to stay/eat/shop/etc-p1011015.jpg  

Need help from Chennai BHPians - Places to stay/eat/shop/etc-p1011054.jpg  

Old 17th April 2009, 11:17   #12
BHPian

Are u sure that Green Medows will come in his budget? Its a really good neat place and been there even recently, it is really great place. But i dont think the cottages or even rooms will be available in that budget. I guess, the tariff will be around 5k per night minmum.

The best thing would be to stay at Mayajaal Onshore Resort. Its a spanking new facility. They have opened it only recently. So, it must be neat. And i heard that u get access to the 'ntertainment dome' as they call it. it is a mulitplex cum sports facility cum video arcade thingie. I guess ur kid would love they place. link Mayajaal

All the best buddy. I have PMed u my mobile number. Call me, whatever u need.
Old 17th April 2009, 19:29   #13
Senior - BHPian

depending on the kids age, for three nights it should be around 9-10 000 rs (from their site). and the budget quoted is 12000. and of course the bargaining factor is always there

cheers
Old 20th April 2009, 11:17   #14
BHPian

Thank you for all your support. I have taken the details.i was suggested MGM for stay. Is this a good place and ANEKHO i will contact you for car rental.
Old 29th July 2010, 21:51   #15
BHPian

Hi Guys, Need one small help. My wife has to visit US consulate for Visa interview on monday.I am planning to drive on sunday afternoon and i am searching for a good budget hotel near to US conulate.I checked in makemytrip and it has suggested few hotels. Could you please suggest some hotels ? Budget 2 K - 2.5 K .

Last edited by @400Kph : 29th July 2010 at 22:02.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks