Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2009, 09:04   #1
BHPian

Coimbatore - Karamadai - Kunda - Ooty : Road condition info needed.

hi All,

Planning to go to Avalanche @ Ooty.
I want to know how the road condition is from Coimbatore to Ooty via karamadai, Annur Check post [south of Ooty/Coonoor]
Old 21st April 2009, 20:20   #2
BHPian

anyone from the Coimbatore district? if u know any PT drivers please inquire and atleast post!
Old 21st April 2009, 20:46   #3
BHPian

There is a good chance that the roads are closed because of the dry conditions, apart from that, it is a single (narrow) road with hardly any traffic. I would advice the regular road unless you do this for adventure and don't mind the risk.

Roads up to 50% of the way were OK, broken/un-even tarmac but no potholes. You would not go to Annur, but take a left at Karamadai and go to Velliangadu and up the hills. The forest dept. checkpost is just when the ghats start, you may have to give him some credible reason to let him allow you further ahead.
Old 21st April 2009, 21:16   #4
BHPian

What best reason would I give - I have known a fellow forum-er go on this route umpty times, so guys pl. suggest some best reason to use these roads, i heard they are very scenic and wonderful.,
Old 22nd April 2009, 17:08   #5
BHPian

No Coimbatore TBhpians?
Old 22nd April 2009, 20:00   #6
BHPian

Last time I was there the only interesting thing was a herd of elephants. And that was also scary. Nothing to get too excited this time of the year. Not much to speak of because of the dry climate. Also not sure if the range has been close to tourists to prevent wildfires. Then again when it rains you never know when a landslide will block the road!

Good to go if you are going with a couple of friends and just want to do something different. Me? I am pretty bored with this route and would take the mettupalayam road only because you reach the destination faster.

P.S - This road is known to cause motion sickness in rear seat passengers if the driver gets a little trigger happy.
Old 22nd April 2009, 22:56   #7
BHPian

thanks for the info Harrie, quicksilver - thanks for the warning about the dry conditions, I guess I shall skip the plan and not do a Ooty trip now, will look for some alternative..

I want to do that stretch [Karamadai - Kundah - Ooty] and go to Mukuruthi, checkout the grasslands and visit the Fishing Hut too, so I will plan it for post-monsoon season then.
Old 5th February 2010, 09:57   #8
BHPian

guys what is the travel time from karamadai to ooty , what are the dos and donts . i heard its a very nice drive. are there any restrictions to travel from govt.
Old 5th February 2010, 13:06   #9
Senior - BHPian

Karamadai is 30 kms from Coimbatore, and further 5 kms on is Mettupalayam. FRom Mettupalayam, via Barliar, Conoor is 35 kms and Ooty 20 kms further on.

No restrictions from Govt except that, due to the recent landslides, the Mettupalayam-Conoor road is 1-way (update of last week) towards Conoor.
Old 5th February 2010, 14:23   #10
BHPian

isnt kundha a different route all together.

reason i am asking as one of my friend mentioned about it to reach emarald dam, its a great place for fishing (ofcourse avalanchi too) ,
Old 5th February 2010, 14:27   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt View Post
isnt kundha a different route all together.

reason i am asking as one of my friend mentioned about it to reach emarald dam, its a great place for fishing (ofcourse avalanchi too) ,
Kundah is around 20 kms from Conoor towards the west (Ooty road to the north), and you can go on to Avalanchi/Upper Bhavani/Emerald from there (all in the same area).
Old 6th February 2010, 16:53   #12
BHPian

Kumarji...now mettupalayam -connoor road has opened for two way traffic.regards(courtesy hindu daily).
Old 24th July 2014, 16:02   #13
BHPian

Re: Coimbatore - Karamadai - Kunda - Ooty : Road condition info needed.

Hi, any idea about the road conditions from Coimbatore-Anaikatti-Mulli-Kunda dam-Emerald-Ooty? I wanted to explore an alternate Route from Coimbatore and this looked nice. Is this a scenic route? Thanks!
Old 24th July 2014, 17:39   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
Hi, any idea about the road conditions from Coimbatore-Anaikatti-Mulli-Kunda dam-Emerald-Ooty? I wanted to explore an alternate Route from Coimbatore and this looked nice. Is this a scenic route? Thanks!
Beyond Anaikatti, once you reach Kottathara, the road to Mulli is broken which you need to cross.

See this : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...kkad-trip.html
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 10:56   #15
BHPian

Hi ampere, thanks for the link, will read that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Beyond Anaikatti, once you reach Kottathara, the road to Mulli is broken which you need to cross.
I think I made a small mistake when reading the map. The route I intended to take was Coimbatore-Karamadai-Velliangadu-Mulli-Kunda dam-Emerald-Ooty. This route doesn't touch Kottathara.

Any idea about this route? Thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks