Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2009, 17:10   #1

Pune to Ooty and Coorg

Hello friends,

This is my first thread in Team-BHP and would like to have opinion on my forthcoming trip.
I plan to do a 7 day excursion to Ooty and Coorg from Pune. My car is Hyundai Getz GLS model done 22k Kms. I would like to seek our advice on the following:
1)Best possible route considering I have 2 kids aged 6 and 2.
2) Approx kms for the total trip.
3) What is fesible first: Pune to Coorg to ooty or do ooty first and go to Coorg. I have read that Coorg to OOty is 75 kms and you go to Coorg and then go to OOty. Please help.
4)Will this trip be possible in 7 days?
Any other instructions which would help.

Regards
Mahesh

Last edited by bblost : 1st December 2017 at 14:52. Reason: typo fixed
Old 26th April 2009, 23:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

For Going to Coorg from Pune you have two possible routes
1. Pune - Bangalore - Madikeri
2. Pune - Mangalore - Madikeri

Both the routes might take you some 18-20 hours of drive including breaks.
the route is common till Belgaon (4 hours drive if you leave at 4 AM), you can have breakfast at Hotel Sankam (100RS + VAT for a great buffet breakfast, plus great sofas int he resturant, very clean toilets etc for your kids).

if you decide to go via Bangalore it is 4 hours from Bangalore to Chitradurga and another 4 hours to Bangalore. Bangalore to Madikeri is another 4+ hours drive depending on how well you know the route and time of the day you would be driving.

Belgaon to Mangalore would be another 8 hours drive, Mangalore to Madikeri is 3+ hours drive.

Regarding the time schedule you would need 1 day + 1 day drive to reach and return.
you might effectively get 5 days (2.5 days at Madikeri + arround, 2 days at Coorg).

Ensure that you have (preventive) maintained your car well, especially check the clutch plates especially considering it has done 22K KMs. Secondly you can have a back up driver (it could be your wife) as the drive is really very long.

Hope this helps
Old 27th April 2009, 19:46   #3
BHPian

The shorter route would be Pune - Mangalore - madikeri. Its almost 220kms shorter as compared to the Pune - bangalore - madikeri. Also, Madikeri to Ooty is about 240kms,not 75kms.

If you need any help regarding Coorg, do let me know. I stay in Coorg.
Old 27th April 2009, 20:58   #4
BHPian

You need not come till Bangalore, but take diversion from Chitradurga/Hiryur to Hassan to Madikeri.

For going to Ooty first, proceed till Tumkur, then take right to Kunigal and Maddur, proceed to Mysore and Ooty.

From Madikeri to Ooty you can go via Mysore or take this scenic route -

Madikeri - Siddapur - Gonnikoppal - Kutta - Mananthavady - Sulthan Bathery - Gudalur - Ooty
Old 27th April 2009, 22:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshbangali View Post
Hello friends,

This is my firts thread in Team-BHP and would like to have opinion on my forthcoming trip.
I plan to do a 7 day excursion to Ooty and Coorg from Pune. My car is Hyundai Getz GLS model done 22k Kms. I would like to seek our advice on the following:
1)Best possible route considering I have 2 kids aged 6 and 2.
2) Approx kms for the total trip.
3) What is fesible first: Pune to Coorg to ooty or do ooty first and go to Coorg. I have read that Coorg to OOty is 75 kms and you go to Coorg and then go to OOty. Please help.
4)Will this trip be possible in 7 days?
Any other instructions which would help.

Regards
Mahesh
Hi mahesh welcome to TBHP and your first thread.

I know of one more TBHPian who is planning to come down to ooty during the coming long weekend , maybe it would make sense for you guys to stick together .... theres safety in numbers... and the more the merrier he he is also from pune His TBHP handle is Meer do PM him , he is doing the trip in his SX4.

Drive safe and enjoi !
Old 28th April 2009, 10:26   #6
BHPian

Thanks Hellstar.

Mahesh,

i think you can easily do Coorg and Ooty in 7 days. I am taking off for 5 days to go to Mysore and Ooty.

my plan is to travel by car on the below route:
Pune - Mysore (2 days halt)
Mysore - Mudumalai (2 days halt)
and then travel back. Planning to start on 30th Apr, 9 PM from pune and the following is the route that I am planning to take for mysore:

Pune-Belgaum-Hubli-Harihar-Shimoga-Tarikere-Arsikere-Channarayapatna-K R Pet-Srirangapatna-Mysore

Approximate kms is coming to 940. As per advice on various posts, pls avoid bangalore if you are not planning anything in the city.

One of the fellow TBHPian, Pawan_pullarwar also travelled on that route recently and you can get info on this route from the below post:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...lore-pune.html

Also, there is another post pjbiju on similar route, you can get idea from this too.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-blr-pune.html
Old 29th November 2017, 14:42   #7
BHPian

Re: Pune to Ooty and Coorg

Planning to drive to Coorg (Madikeri) from Pune towards the end of December. I would be the solo driver with my better half, my mom and a 4 year old kid. The ride would either be an i20 petrol or an Innova (if it is available then). The plan is to start from Pune early morning around 5-6. Had 2 question which is yet undecided and so thought of taking help from the experts here-

1. Is it doable in a single drive (Start to finish) or better to take a break journey? Google maps shows an approximate time of around 15-16 hours. I have done hours of driving at a stretch in the past and adding additional 2 hours of driving time should not be an issue I guess but since I have others I do not want to tax them. So wanted to know realistically if this can be done without tiring the others. If so, what is the best possible place to take a halt? I was thinking of Hubbali but any other suggestions (and pointers to decent hotels) would help. I would prefer to reach Coorg by noon of 27th at latest if taking a break.

2. What is the best route to take? The one Google suggests is via Ranebennur - Shivamogga - Chickmangluru.
Old 29th November 2017, 19:18   #8
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
Planning to drive to Coorg (Madikeri) from Pune towards the end of December. I would be the solo driver with my better half, my mom and a 4 year old kid. The ride would either be an i20 petrol or an Innova (if it is available then). The plan is to start from Pune early morning around 5-6. Had 2 question which is yet undecided and so thought of taking help from the experts here-
Pune to Bangalore and than to Coorg is the ideal route, though it would be 837+264 kms.

Ranebennur, Shimoga and Chickamagalur route is crowded and tough drive. 1100 kms in a day is not advisable. I suggest you take a break.
Hubli would be too early. Try Davangere or Tumkur. Once you cross Nelamangala, keep looking for NICE road entry on your left, take NICE road and EXIT Mysore Road.
It's a toll road.

Mysore, Mandya, Srirangapattan. After Srirangapattan Kaveri bridge you have the option of taking right towards Kushalnagara, Madikeri. Good road.
Or, you can enter Mysore city if you wish, than take Mangalore road. Good road.

I do this route from Bangalore to Madikeri once in fortnight.

Last edited by aah78 : 29th November 2017 at 19:26. Reason: Post fixed. Typos, spacing.
sumukha is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th November 2017, 23:28   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1. Is it doable in a single drive (Start to finish) or better to take a break journey? Google maps shows an approximate time of around 15-16 hours. I have done hours of driving at a stretch in the past and adding additional 2 hours of driving time should not be an issue I guess but since I have others I do not want to tax them. So wanted to know realistically if this can be done without tiring the others. If so, what is the best possible place to take a halt? I was thinking of Hubbali but any other suggestions (and pointers to decent hotels) would help. I would prefer to reach Coorg by noon of 27th at latest if taking a break.

2. What is the best route to take? The one Google suggests is via Ranebennur - Shivamogga - Chickmangluru.
You can take Hubli-Harihar-Honnali-Shimoga-Arsikere-CR Patna-Holenarsipur-Arkalagud-Shanivarsanthe-Somwarpet-Madikere

You can easily make it to Shimoga on Day1 in about 12hours of drive.Plenty of good places to stay in Shimoga (Royal Orchid,Clarks Inn)
https://goo.gl/maps/4WDf7c6VvFo

D2:https://goo.gl/maps/P8exa3JQ9zD2

If you want a 4laned drive,then go via Bangalore (Pune-Bangalore:approximately 11hrs,NICE Road to Madikeri another 5-6hrs.I prefer the Bangalore route simply for the better facilities and stay options at Bangalore
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2017, 11:18   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumukha View Post
Pune to Bangalore and than to Coorg is the ideal route, though it would be 837+264 kms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post

If you want a 4laned drive,then go via Bangalore (Pune-Bangalore:approximately 11hrs,NICE Road to Madikeri another 5-6hrs.I prefer the Bangalore route simply for the better facilities and stay options at Bangalore
Thank you. Any pointers to some decent hotels on the outskirts of Bangalore which might fall on the way? Dont want to drive too much inside and would like to stay as close as possible to the route to Coorg. Will mostly drive in late at night and drive out early in the morning again. So just need a place to rest the head for the night
Old 1st December 2017, 14:51   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you. Any pointers to some decent hotels on the outskirts of Bangalore which might fall on the way? Dont want to drive too much inside and would like to stay as close as possible to the route to Coorg. Will mostly drive in late at night and drive out early in the morning again. So just need a place to rest the head for the night
You can check out Holiday palms at Nelamangala,a basic place to stay.Else if you are ok driving up to Mysore then I suggest stay the night in Mysore and start leisurely after breakfast to reach Madikeri for an early lunch.Bangalore Pune highway exit to any place in Mysore shouldnt take you more than 3hours worst case scenario.
Old 1st December 2017, 15:19   #12
BHPian

Mysore I think would again be a stretch. Google maps shows around 15 hours from Pune. If taking a break, would prefer to do one around 10-12 hours of driving. Shivamogga, Tumkuru and Bangalore seem the best options for now. hence asking for hotel options

Checked Holiday Palms, but its unavailable for a 26th check in and 27th check out. Any other options.
Old 4th December 2017, 11:32   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mysore I think would again be a stretch. Google maps shows around 15 hours from Pune. If taking a break, would prefer to do one around 10-12 hours of driving. Shivamogga, Tumkuru and Bangalore seem the best options for now. hence asking for hotel options

Checked Holiday Palms, but its unavailable for a 26th check in and 27th check out. Any other options.
There are no good places to stay near the NICE road entry (afaik).
You can check out Thanga Grand (Fab Hotel),Soundarya Hotel (near Dasarahalli Metro Stn)Peenya,Minla,Mark's Grandeur, RG Royal,Parijatha Gateway(all near ISKCON).
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2017, 15:45   #14
BHPian

Perfect thread at perfect time. I am also planning to go to Coorg from Pune on 25th Dec. by car (Vento DSG).
We are 4 including 2 kids. I can drive in single stretch but doesn't want to, because of kids.
As per discussion above, I am now planning to take halt in Bangalore (at my friend's place). Will drive to Coorg on 26th Dec. at 6am.
Will stay in Coorg till 29th, then will go to Udupi. My friend (from Bangalore) will join us there.

Pune to Bangalore route on google maps:
Satara - Solapur - Belagavi - Hubbali - Davangere - Hiriyur - Tumakuru - NICE road - Sarjapur (Bangalore)

Last edited by Nicky : 14th December 2017 at 15:52.
Nicky is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 12:59   #15

We are 2 families in 2 cars (sedans) travelling from Pune - Davangere - ooty - Coorg (Virajpet).
Would appreciate any help on the following
1. Best possible route with scenic features + good road condition. (google Maps recommend Davangere to Ooty via coimbatore)
2. Good Eating places on the route

Thanks in Advance for the help!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks