Team-BHP - Bangalore to Kunigal - Alternate route
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Bangalore to Kunigal - Alternate route (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/57290-bangalore-kunigal-alternate-route.html)

I live in Rajajinagar and my usual route to go to Hassan is to take the Magadi road and then take a right onto the NICE road and join the Tumkur highway.

From here, take a left turn at Nelamangala to go via Kunigal.
Usually leave home between 6:00 - 6:15 Am and reach Bellur cross (Hotel Mayura) by 8:10Am for breakfast. Food is good but expensive. Masala dosa now costs Rs. 40/-.
Coffee is Rs. 15/-.

Last Sunday, instead of taking a right onto NICE road, we drove upto Magadi and then took a right turn to Kunigal after Magadi town. From this right turn, Kunigal is 22kms.

Maybe about 3 - 4 stretches totalling about 3 kms (approx. ) is not fully done but the rest of the road is in good shape. A whole lot less stressful in terms of traffic.

You can reach the outskirts of Kunigal (just before the industrial area, about 1.5 kms before the Indo-Spanish Foods building outside Kunigal).

While coming back also we took this route. After Magadi, some stretches are lonely but the scenery is good all the way upto Magadi and also beyond and the road is good.

Overall the distance is the same but a whole lot less stressful.

This route is useful to people who live in either South/West Bangalore.

Regards
Ravi.

The best part is:

You can also take a pitstop in between with beautiful views of Tippagondanahalli Reservoir

Cheers:thumbs up

Another route (not sure if you are referring to the same one):
Just before entering Magadi, you turn right. You travel for some 12 kms on this single lane, not so bad (pretty decent, with some potholes along - 75% good road) and you reach the Hassan highway at Gudimaranahalli handpost junction (the place where it says Bangalore 48 kms - or so - in reverse direction).

The main reason to take this route is : You avoid the chaotic traffic till Nelamangala & beyond which takes like 1 - 1.5 hours these days. Also, Magadi road has been newly made & is in excellent condition. Takes like 45 mins till Magadi (worse case time limits) & and other 20-25 mins on the kaccha road to reach there. Well within 1-1.10mins from leaving Vijayanagar which is pretty reasonable. And there is no toll to pay :p

guess i will take this route though it would be way long for me...but cant digest the mess on peenya route anymore:(

I too was searching some thing like this... As all of us know that the Tumkur Road is complete mess. I was thinking if there is any road which can be skip the Nelamangala to Penya/Jalalhalli stretch. 2 weeks back it took 2 hrs from Nalamangala to Jalalhalli cross.

Quote:

Originally Posted by null (Post 1274008)
Another route (not sure if you are referring to the same one):
Just before entering Magadi, you turn right. You travel for some 12 kms on this single lane, not so bad (pretty decent, with some potholes along - 75% good road) and you reach the Hassan highway at Gudimaranahalli handpost junction (the place where it says Bangalore 48 kms - or so - in reverse direction).

The main reason to take this route is : You avoid the chaotic traffic till Nelamangala & beyond which takes like 1 - 1.5 hours these days. Also, Magadi road has been newly made & is in excellent condition. Takes like 45 mins till Magadi (worse case time limits) & and other 20-25 mins on the kaccha road to reach there. Well within 1-1.10mins from leaving Vijayanagar which is pretty reasonable. And there is no toll to pay :p

The route you are mentioning is different from the one iridium has mentioned. Yes, it is an alternative route but there is no need to take this single road from Magadi to NH48. You can take the magadi - kunigal road which is a freshly done 2 lane road (with a few straight stretches). In 20 mins you can be in Kunigal. You reach the highway near the Industrial estate (Johnson Tiles, Indo-Spanish Tasty Foods etc). You only get a bad stretch of road inside Magadi town (approx 1-1.5 kms) but after that it is smooth sailing all the way to Kunigal.:)

If you are traveling from Vijayaynagar side, you can try this route. Take Magadi road, pass through Sunkadakatte, Byadarahalli, Machohalli, Kadabagere cross reach Tavarekere. Take a right turn at Tavarekere circle which connects to Nelamangala which is about 16 km. I last travelled on this road about 4 months back and road work was in progress.In terms of distance it is around 10kms more but very less traffic.
You can also try another route from Mysore road. Continue on Mysore road till Kumbalgodu, take right turn just before Punit Rajkumar estate and continue on this road till Magadi and from there u can join NH48. This road has been laid recently and it is very good

Quote:

Originally Posted by arin_12 (Post 1274020)
I too was searching some thing like this... As all of us know that the Tumkur Road is complete mess. I was thinking if there is any road which can be skip the Nelamangala to Penya/Jalalhalli stretch. 2 weeks back it took 2 hrs from Nalamangala to Jalalhalli cross.

If you stay in North Bangalore/ORR/Hebbal etc, use Yelahanka Dodbellapur Dobbaspet to bypass Neelamangala to go to Tumkur. Very nice road. 25-30 Km extra distance is what you pay for. Beauty of this road is that you can delay your start as well.

But this is not for Kunigal though as the title says!

Quote:

Originally Posted by addyhemmige (Post 1274598)
You only get a bad stretch of road inside Magadi town (approx 1-1.5 kms) but after that it is smooth sailing all the way to Kunigal.

I travelled on Magadi Road on 27 Feb and 7 March 2010 around 1:15 am to and fro NICE Road. Magadi Road is being widened from the ORR junction towards Magadi. There were a lot of diversions strewn with construction materials all around. Watch out for back-breaking big and crude humps one after the other.

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.Ravi (Post 1802473)
I travelled on Magadi Road on 27 Feb and 7 March 2010 around 1:15 am to and fro NICE Road. Magadi Road is being widened from the ORR junction towards Magadi. There were a lot of diversions strewn with construction materials all around. Watch out for back-breaking big and crude humps one after the other.

Which part are you referring to ? I regularly travel from BSK to Hassan and take the NICE road ( I stay in BSK 3rd stage and get into NICE road at Link Road toll plaza - near PES Engg college) and get off at Magadi Road & go in Magadi Road upto Kunigal, join NH-48 & come back to BLR on the same route.

I consider myself to be lucky as i have to drive in BLR traffic for only 2 km before i join the NICE Road from my residence in BSK 3rd stage.:D

We should hope that NICE road is always kept free & not blocked due to the agitations etc.

If am starting from bangalore at 4-5 am (for Hassan), is it worth taking Magadi route, or should i stick to neelmangala?
I would assume at this time Neelmangala route would not offer much resistance, thus i should be equally fast.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pkumar (Post 1802554)
If am starting from bangalore at 4-5 am (for Hassan), is it worth taking Magadi route, or should i stick to neelmangala?
I would assume at this time Neelmangala route would not offer much resistance, thus i should be equally fast.

You would be surprised ! That stretch would always offer resistance as long as the road does not get done. Better to take Magadi road, but check with Ravi, as he mentioned about road widening work going on.

Quote:

At this hour, even Magadi Road-Kunigal-NH48 route would be easy to drive. But, please drive the stretch in Magadi Road from ORR junction towards Magadi Road carefully, especially series of big humps and construction works. I think, this route will be better than going via Nelamangala.

Quote:

It depends on which part of Bangalore you are starting from. If you are coming from North Bangalore, Nelamangala route will be shorter but not necessarily easier.

I have got stuck in a jam at 4.30 in the morning while going out on the Nelamangala road a few months back. So, can always be sure of surprises on this road:D

I guess Nice road and get out at magadi road juction and head towards kunigal from there it will hardly have any traffic

P.S it is Nelamangala and not Neelmangala

Quote: