Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2009, 11:11   #16
BHPian

Thanks folks for all your helpful tips. Keeping in mind the logical and sensible inputs from you all, I have more or less made up my mind for getting the project undertaken with the help of our very own "Bhartiya Rail"

Need to finalize the details of exact travel dates and accordingly, getting the reservations done. Maybe, would go over the Bangalore City station over the weekend to figure out the formalities and making necessary arrangements.
Old 10th May 2009, 17:30   #17
BHPian

Visit to Bangalore Railway Station leaves me high and dry..

Okay, so with yesterday being the first day of weekend, I decided of visiting and getting the necessary information from Bnagalore Railway station itself.

First went straight to the reservation office and told the lady at enquiry about my travel needs. She guided me to the Parcel Office on station premises. There was a typical desi babu sitting there behind the window who was in no hurry whatsoever. Finally my turn comes and I tell him about travelling to Delhi in AC-I with dogs. After a bit of thinking he says - yeah possible, you will have to pay for the dog. As if I was trying to sneak the dog on train without paying for him.. Anyway, after consulting the charges chart, he announces that I need to pay Rs.800+ Good! So what would be the charge for 3 dogs is what my next question. And now all hell breaks loose.. 3 dogs?? you can not, no way.. only one dog is allowed, and similar stuff was hurled at me.

Decided against wasting my efforts and patience on this joker, purchased platform tickets, went to the Station Manager's room and told him what my requirements were. This johnny was surrounded by two more folks (railway employees) who listened to me. Once I finished, the SM told me that I can not travel with more than one dog. But even before he could finish, the other 2 folks interrupted him and said there was no such rule which prevented me from travelling with 3 dogs in AC-I coupe so long as the coupe was completely booked by me.Something encouraging made me feel better. But the next obvious worry was the contradicting versions from 2 different sets of people working for the same organization at the same location. I asked them if there was a conclusive way of establishing this fact so that I have no more surprises when I arrive at the station with 3 dogs in tow on travel date. They guided me to the Asstt. Comm. Manager's office in DRM building.

It would have been surprising if things went smoothly there. In the lobby of DRM Office, there was a GRP guy who can best be described as a ****head. Wasted 10 minutes convincing him my need to meet the commercial manager. According to him it was a holiday (being Saturday) and I should return tomorrow (as if he would let me in in a Sunday and that the officer would be in office!). When I realized I was against a wall, I stopped an officer looking guy who was crossing the lobby and explained to him my need to meet the concerned official. After patiently listening to me, he called up the Parcel Office and spoke to them at length in local language for close to 10 minutes. After he was done with the call, he suggested I go back to the parcel office and he has taken care of the issue.

Thanking him profusely after taking his name and number, I went back to the parcel office only to be told by those folks I still can not travel with 3 dogs as over phone they had agreed for 2 dogs!! Frustrated and at my wits end, I asked them if there was a rule to this effect, and if indeed there was one, I need to have a look at it. To this, the reply was - there is a rule and they can show it to me on Monday.. Upon being asked what is the number of dogs that can be permitted in a coupe, answer was - 1 or 2!! Man!! what dumbos we have working for Railways! Whan I mentioned that the rule can not be so vague not to have a precise number, the supervisor got into one-to-one discussion with me (till now it was a group discussion with clerks and the supervisor). He checked with me my dogs' sizes (as if it has anything to do with the rule) and suggested that they can take care of it once I am at the station before I board train. He gave me his name and asked me to meet him when I start my travel.

After yesterday's circus, I am sure these creeps would try to squeeze money from me at the nth hour - having a reservation, ready to board the train with dogs but these idiots refusing to allow them - when I won't be having too many choices.

And I used to think India is shining.. It sure is so long as you don't get to interact with the stupid system and the corrupt babus in our government offices..
Old 11th May 2009, 06:24   #18
Senior - BHPian

Dont be so disheartned Alok such things are commonplace and I am sure all of us have gotten used to them by now. Do whats necessary and take the fellers to their new home. And I am sure none of us here would mind at all if you share some pictures of your dogs. I share my life with a english cocker spanial
Old 11th May 2009, 07:14   #19
BHPian

Here they come :)

Thanks QuickDraw.. maybe you are right, its a matter of getting used to it. But maybe, this would not help improve things happening around us. Heck.. am not even sure if things that are so deep-rooted in us can be changed in the first place

Anyway, here come Sally, Chip and Twinkle (left to right in pic). About 1.5 years ago, me and my wife were planning to bring home a pup. One day we came across a posting for adoption of Sally and Chip. At that time, they were aged 9 and 8 respectively - their previous owners, being an elderly couple were unable to take care of them. We thought about it and decided to bring Sally n Chip home since pups can get home easily, it is the matured dogs (all the more in their twilight years) who find it difficult to find new home.

And then, Twinkle sparkled in our lives a year ago when her owner was relocating to Singapore for good for a long term. After a lot of deliberation and discussion with mom and wife, Twinkle came home too.

PS - sorry for the red eyes in pic, unable to remove them using MS Picture Manager
Attached Thumbnails
Route info and Human companion needed from Bangalore to Gurgaon (with 3 dogs) :D-img00002200901071713.jpg  

Last edited by AlokSriva : 11th May 2009 at 07:15.
Old 11th May 2009, 14:40   #20
Senior - BHPian

Hi Alok,
I had heard that taking care of pets is more difficult than taking care of kids.
Now i understand a bit more about it. This thread is great, i really enojyed reading it.
Thanks to Team BHP to provide a platform to share such subjects linked by the core : Automobile and the Road.

I suggest you not to get discouraged by your trip to Railway station. I think, taking your loved ones Sally, Chip and Twinkle by the train is the best option even if it takes you to deal with the Railway Babus in the language they best understand.

All the best, keep us informed.
Old 11th May 2009, 19:30   #21
BHPian

Thanks SV.. Yes, your observation is absolutely correct about this wonderful place 'T-BHP'. My experience here has been awesome this far. Whether I am planning to buy a car, or have questions related to my pets, or just any other tit-bit, I have friends to share with. Friends whom I have never met, but all coming together and providing just the right advise to you - and best thing is - without expecting any thing in return.. a rarity in the times we live..

And you are right about the pets too mate.. they need a lot of affection and care. Though I can not comment on whether this needs to be more than that needed for kids since I don't have them as of now

Yeah, if greasing palms is gonna do the trick then so it be, but as a responsible citizen, first I am try all offical options and if they don't work, I don't think I would be left with a choice
Old 11th May 2009, 19:55   #22
BHPian

AlokSriva,
Exactly a year ago I was in the same dilemma on how to bring my Lab home,from Pune to Coimbatore and can exactly understand your concern.

Finally we hired an Innova to do this as my car had already moved to Chennai.Though we never had any issues,I would suggest you use Indian railways instead of driving down.

Pepsi was accompanied by my wife and Father in law.I was told Pepsi was super hyper throughout the journey and they had to break the journey every 2 hours to enable her walk and relax for a while.
We did Pune-Coimbatore with a halt in Bangalore at my aunt's place.When you travel to Gurgaon you have to consider halt's as well and unfortunately in India we dont have too many pet friendly hotels.

Railways might act cocky,but your best bet is them and try booking 4 tickets so that you get a coupe spacious enough with 3 dogs.

All the best for your journey.

PS:Your pets look lovely and they remind me that I am yet to post Pepsi's pictures from Coimbatore.Will do so next week
Old 11th May 2009, 19:58   #23
Senior - BHPian

Hey there Alok, thanks for the pictures. I think you should take it as it comes see what happens and be prepared to grease palms if required. I am sure the trio would be much better off in the train then then car/plane. Let us know how things go and best regards for a safe journey.
Old 14th May 2009, 22:36   #24
BHPian

Thanks jraj and quickdraw..

Hadn't been able to post earlier because of two reasons - lot of things happening at work and that there was no progress/update to report. Got the first opportunity today and called up the railway's commercial office. After a few calls, finally got connected to the right person who provided a lot of valuable information -

1) I can take as many pets (sensible number of course) so long as the coupe (either 2- or 4-berthed one) is completely booked by me for my exclusive use. There is no rule which can prevent me from doing so ( Rule# 403 of Indian Railway Conference Association Coaching Diaries # 25, Part-1 Vol.3 - I specifically asked for the rule number and have saved it on my blackberry to quote in case I come across some johnny trying to throw a spanner)
2) Booking for exclusive use can be specified at the reservation counter on the reservation form (I don't even remember how it looks like)
3) There are a lot of people (with clout) vying for the 2-berth coupe and therefore, the safer bet would be to book 4 berths to get a 4-berth coupe.
4) Even if I am travelling alone (with pets), I can book 4 berths and the on-board TTE can not allot it to someone else during the journey because of the special need I would have specified at the time of making the reservation. Otherwise, in case of a vacant berth, railway authorities can allot it to passnegers on waiting list. This is again based on the rule I quoted above.

All in all, a very valuable find today which has drastically brought down my level of anxiety!

Last edited by AlokSriva : 14th May 2009 at 22:38.
Old 16th May 2009, 07:04   #25
Senior - BHPian

My suggestion - Do not travel for such a long distance in a car. Its going to be sheer torture for your pets. This is not a 4 hour journey but a 3 day one !

Also the biggest drawback will be that there are no pet friendly hotels in our country, makes it more difficult to halt at night.

I guess your best bet would be the Train and after looking at your above post, seems its quite allright.
Old 16th May 2009, 08:36   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
AlokSriva : Even if I am travelling alone (with pets), I can book 4 berths and the on-board TTE can not allot it to someone else during the journey because of the special need I would have specified at the time of making the reservation. Otherwise, in case of a vacant berth, railway authorities can allot it to passnegers on waiting list. This is again based on the rule I quoted above.
The vacant berth will come into picture in case of no-show's. Basically, when no one in the travelling party shows up.

But in your case, if you book 4 berths, and you are there for the journey - your booking cannot be considered a no-show to be eligible for re-allocation by the TTE.

But I dont think you can show your 3 pets as the other 3 berth holders !

p.s : For the booking, do check it you have to book the 4-berth compartment as a 'party', or if you have to specify the names of the travelling passengers, or if you have mention "1 adult + 3 dogs"
Old 16th May 2009, 16:14   #27
BHPian

Tickets in place

@condor - yes mate, I too had thought of booking other 3 berths in pets' name but decided against it lest someone in the railways get pissed off and considers this to be a practical joke rather than a necessity!

@vkochar - blame it all on Toyota, had the Fortuner been in, my pets would have been travelling on roomier 4 wheels than in Fiesta. On a serious note, yes, you are right and therefore, please read on..

Well friends, this morning I decided to get the tickets done. As it is I had lost one entire week which meant travelling in Rajdhani was out of question - was getting only waitlisted tickets. The only other option was Sampark Kranti which starts from Yeshwantpur station which had only 4 berths available for 22nd June - the D-day..

Travelled close to 15 kms to go to the Koramangala reservation office only to be told by the reservation clerk that travelling with dog is something that he has not heard and therefore, I need to get special permission of the Chief Reservation Superintendet. Well no big deal, I was mentally prepared to meet up some more morons like him, and therefore, without wasting my time and patience, headed straight towards city station - about 15 kms from this reservation office.

The CRS was simple looking person who initially was not sure what needs to be done. However, flashing the rule number did the trick and he gave his approval on booking all 4 berths in my name so that I can travel with my pets. After an hour of wait, my turn came and in 5 minutes, I had a ticket in my hand.

Thought of paying a visit to the Luggage Supervisor (whom I had met on my last visit to the station and was the one who had provided me the contact number of Commercial Officer a couple of days ago which had turned out to be a big help).

He was there in the luggage booking office at his seat when I went there. Met him with great warmth and he too reciprocated. I told him that the tickets were booked but the challenge was that the train started from Yeshwantpur and that he would not be around. Immediately he asked me to take his cell number and remind him on the day of journey. In turn he would call up the supervisor at YPR station to provide him a heads up and to take care of my pets' travel. Wow!! Was feeling really thankful and therefore, politely offered him a cup of coffee by mentioning that I haven't had breakfast since morning ;-) He too did not disappoint me and together we (me, him and one of his colleagues) went to a restaurant near by where I did some more networking.

On his advise, I would be going to the city station again on Monday to take a written permission to travel with 3 pets from the Commercial Officer and also, to make an application for allotment of a coupe for my exclusive use.

Keeping my fingers crossed.. Watch out friends for this space for more updates on Monday
Old 16th May 2009, 19:42   #28
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful news, wish you and the trio and happy journey!
Old 16th May 2009, 20:02   #29
Senior - BHPian

@ Alok , how would you take care of pets food,water and nature calls?
AC would be cold , taking any blankets for them ?.
Also do you plan to take them out for troll outside at lenghtly train halts ?. In that case be careful and have single rope for all the three dogs , its easier to manage , just my thoughts. All the best and take pics if possible . .
Old 16th May 2009, 22:50   #30
BHPian

@quickdraw - thanks yet again buddy

@black12rr - As suggested by a fellow member, I am planning to take some old newspaper along with me to clean up accidental mess. Additionally, planning to keep a toilet roll and few bin-bags to take care of any contingency.

Having said that, all of them are toilet trained perfectly (four times a day) and would hold on to pee/poo as long as they possibly can, but will surely keep reminding me time and again to take them out for a walk by making weird sounds.

So far as food is concerned, 'Pedigree' zindabad!! I would carry their beddings to take care of their sleeping needs.

Will also keep a room freshener handy and last but not the least - dettol liquid handwash

Last edited by AlokSriva : 16th May 2009 at 22:52.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks