Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2009, 14:16   #1
BHPian

Tiny Bangalore trip, help required

Guys, I will be visiting my brother in Bangalore, and will be there on 14th and 15th August. Here is what I plan to do. Since I am a North Indian, and this is going to be my first venture into south, please help regarding routes.

13th aug 2009 : Reach B'lore at 2300 hrs, go to brother's place on Hosur Road and sleep
14th aug 2009 : Early morning start to Ooty. Roam there for 2 - 3 hrs. Then proceed towards Kodaikanal / Munnar

Please suggest which one is better. We just want to have some clicks there, thats all. Maybe will have a long stay in subsequent trips

15th aug 2009 : Start around 10 - 11 am and halt at Mysore. Since my bro is in Infy, he has booked a stay for us in Mysore campus. Cant wait to see, looks amazing in pics.

16th aug 2009 : Early morning start, and catch 930 am flight to Delhi.

BTW, I plan to hire a self driven cab for travelling. I will be travelling with my wife, mom, 1.5 yr old kid, bro and his friend from B'lore onwards.

Since my company has an office in B'lore, I have already requested people there to find self driven cars on hire. Any help will be appreciated.

Also, nothing could be as hectic as driving from Srinagar to Delhi in a single day which I did in my trip to Leh this June.

Please advise.
Old 9th July 2009, 14:31   #2
BHPian

Bangalore to Ooty is 276 km( short route) , takes about 7-8 hrs depending on traffic , road conditions.
Bangalore to Munnar in a single day via Ooty is not possible unless you drive the whole day .
Ooty -Munnar is 240Km, via Coimbatore , Pollachi .
Ooty - Kodaikanal is 325Km .

Munnar will better to visit and be back , though lot of rain this season .
Old 9th July 2009, 14:57   #3
BHPian

@Fortuner : And I thought roads down south were better. Thats what they look in innumerable pictures I have seen.

276 kms will take 7 - 8 hrs?? even if I start at 5am in morning? If that is the case, I will roam about in Ooty, and come back to Mysore same day. That ways I will drop Munnar and Kodai.

Or maybe take a trip in toy train to Ooty at max.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 9th July 2009, 15:03   #4
BHPian

It will be rains & more rains

You may encounter heavy rains during this time. Even 7 to 8 hours may not be possible considering fallen trees & land slides. I suggest you visit Mysore & surrounding places at leisurely pace.
Old 9th July 2009, 15:04   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutdcrap View Post
@Fortuner : And I thought roads down south were better. Thats what they look in innumerable pictures I have seen.

276 kms will take 7 - 8 hrs?? even if I start at 5am in morning? If that is the case, I will roam about in Ooty, and come back to Mysore same day. That ways I will drop Munnar and Kodai.

Or maybe take a trip in toy train to Ooty at max.

Thanks for the reply.
hi ,

Its all single road from Mysore to Ooty , 136 Km , the short route has 36 hair pin bends with roads through Bandipur and Mudumalai forests.
Yes better to visit Ooty , have lunch at Coonoor Taj , see wellington, Doodabetta , Ooty Lake and come back .
Old 9th July 2009, 15:08   #6
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to Bangalore cutdcrap!

My idea is like this: You have choosen very nice places for sure and I am sure you will love it in rains. I suggest skip Kodaikanal and Munnar .

I would love to travel like this for this time schedule: Bangalore - Hosur - thoppur - Mettur - Avanashi - Annur - Mettupalayam - Kotagiri - Ooty (Halt there on day1) - Gudaloor - Sultanbathery - Wayanad - Mananthawady - Kutta - Nagarhole - Hunsur - mysore (halt on day2) - Bangalore.

Almost like this:: MapmyIndia - maps, directions, and local search across India - just search, print and go! this is not exact road map with few changes you can travel in good road. Total distance would be 900km.

Vehicle suitable for your TRIP: Toyota Innova or any other car you like.

Leave Bangalore early morning and drive via Hosur road - Hosur - Thoppur - Mettur - Avanashi - Annur - Mettupalayam - Kotagiri - Doddapetta - Ooty. If you are fast driver and take less stops then can reach Ooty by 3PM If you leave sharp at 6AM from Hosur road. Distance would be 400km. Have lunch in Kotagiri.

Hotel Nahar nilgiris is best place to eat pure veg food in Ooty. They have rooms too for stay.

Next day leave Ooty morning 7AM and drive to Gudaloor to proceed towards Wayanaad and Kutta. Drive via Nagarhole forest and reach Mysore by 5PM. Visit KRS Reservoir in the evening if you like. Max. 50km bad roads you can see in this stretch.

This would be better and comfy trip rather than tiredsome kodai/munnar in just 2 days.

Else

Try this: Bangalore - Kodai - Munnar on day1 (600km). Munnar - ooty - Mysore (400km) on day2. You will enjoy this trip too although it would involve lot of ghat sections and total distance would be 1150km as round trip bangalore to bangalore. Max. 50km bad road you can see in this stretch. here also from Marayoor you can take Avanashi - Annur - Mettupalayam to Oooty instead of via coimbatore which might take extra hours to cross that city. But members who know coimbatore and surrounding area more can guide you.

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 9th July 2009 at 15:15.
Old 9th July 2009, 15:43   #7
BHPian

Since you have only two days 14th & 15th august to travel going to munnar does not make sense since most of the time you be be travelling and you also want to halt at mysore. My suggestion would be that you travel to ooty on 14th early morning and you can also visit near by places like Bandipur wildlife sanctuary if time permits, Stay at ooty on 14th night or head towards mysore. On 15th you can go around mysore there are many places to see like temples, bird sanctuary, mysore palace which would take a day,15th Night head back to home. Form bangalore to ooty it would take 6-7 hrs and from ooty to mysore 3hrs approx.
Refer to the below link

Places around Mysore

Last edited by Red Circle : 9th July 2009 at 15:46.
Old 9th July 2009, 15:49   #8
BHPian

Since you have just come back from Leh, I feel you will be majorly let down by ooty. Spend some time in Mysore seeing the palace and also go to wayanad in Kerala. I say skip ooty itself. (I know you will not, but once you go there, you will feel you should have)
Old 9th July 2009, 16:12   #9
BHPian

Thanks for the responses everyone. Just a thought, if I skip Ooty, can I make a run to Kodaikanal or Munnar on the same day.

Next day morning, we start towards Mysore, and make a halt there. Not planning to roam about in Mysore city, only Infy campus.

I saw pics of Kodaikanal on net, and it looks like a very beautiful place for sure.

BTW, have been to Ooty long time back. AFAIR, there is a big lake where you can boat, a boot shaped restaraunt, big thumbs up bootle shaped structure, toy train, and lovely ambience. Though, would love to see it again. Darn the time constraint.

Southern India is so beautiful, I wish I could travel here often.
Old 9th July 2009, 16:17   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutdcrap View Post
Just a thought, if I skip Ooty, can I make a run to Kodaikanal or Munnar on the same day.

Next day morning, we start towards Mysore, and make a halt there. Not planning to roam about in Mysore city, only Infy campus.
What is the use, by the time you reach Kodai/munnar it will be late, so you have to go there and sleep and then start next day morning and drive to Mysore.
Old 9th July 2009, 16:24   #11
BHPian

I just googled and saw a place called Coorg - mini scotland of india? and its not very far from B'lore, and you have to cross Mysore to reach this place.

I would like to know, which of the following would be better?
A. Going to Ooty on Day 1, staying overnite. Next day Mysore, OR
B. Going to Coorg on Day 1, staying overnite. Next day Mysore, OR
C. Going to Ooty on Day 1, spend some time, then reach Coorg. Next day start around 12 for Mysore (since its nearby only)

Alternately, please suggest some places do able in the time constraint. I am just hallucinating about the greenery that my eyes will see for those 2 days.
Old 9th July 2009, 16:28   #12
BHPian

With your limited time, don't try to cramp too much into the trip. You will not enjoy it at all. In the options you have mentioned, I would go with OPTION B, right now its raining cats and dogs there, but I am sure it would be better in August.

Also I am not sure how you will be able to catch the 9:30 A.M flight to Delhi on 16th if you leave Mysore on 16th itself. Bangalore to Mysore itself will take 2:30 hours and you also need to give the taxi back and go to the International Airport which itself will take atleast 1:30 hours from city and you need to be at the airport around 1 hour before the flight.

Last edited by hemanthisgreat : 9th July 2009 at 16:37.
Old 9th July 2009, 16:30   #13
BHPian

Option B would workout, On day 1 head to Coorg stay overnite and next day morning head to mysore. There are a few places to look around in coorg aswell. incase you want to see ooty then option A. if you opt for option C whole day you will be travelling and you cannot enjoy the beauty of coorg in just half a day.
Old 9th July 2009, 17:04   #14
BHPian

Coming down from north, Ooty-proper is nothing to talk about. To enjoy Nilgiris, you need to go to some other places near ooty, which IMO are much better than ooty.

Coorg is a better option. You can as well visit tibitian settlement(kushal nagar), Belur & Mysore. All these places have something unique to them, hence you will enjoy it.

Regards,
Old 9th July 2009, 17:25   #15
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest Ooty more than Coorg. It'ld take around 6hrs to reach Ooty from Bangalore. But Ooty itself is very touristy and crammed with people but for a first timer it'll still look good if you have a good weather. Also you go to nearby places which are less visited(Kotagiri, Red hills etc.) instead of jampacked Doddabetta/Dolphin's nose etc. Check the travelogs available, you'll get a better idea.
You can come back to Mysore next day. Take the gudalur route while coming back, you'll enjoy it for sure. Enroute you can visit to BAndipur or Mudumalai.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks