Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2009, 08:51   #1
BHPian

Leh Help required!

Hello everyone!
Even though this is my first post here, ive been following this forum since a long time now! And, my first post was supposed to be query :(

I went through the travelogues extensively, and have been succesful in finding out the routes (and the motivation) to drive up to Leh. Now the problems:
-> I am based in Surat (gujarat) and the maximum possible break for me is 8 days. Since it is absolutely impossible to be driving up and down to Leh from Surat to 8 days, I have truncated my program in this way - I would fly up to Srinagar/Manali and from there I would drive up to Leh. From Manali, it seems to be a 16 to 18 hour drive, plus a night halt at Sarchu(Camp sites). Correct me If im wrong. Again, from Srinagar it is a similar length of drive through Kargil. From Leh, I would take a day to go to Pangong Tso, and another day for Khardungla Pass.
Now, the major issue here is car rental. Budget is not a problem for me. We would be two friends traveling, both of whom can drive well. Now, for all those of you who have driven up this route - Is it possible to rent a driverless car from either Manali or Srinagar? Is there anyone out of all of you reading who can help me in this regard?
If not, what other possible way out is possible? Just to rent a chauffered vehicle? In that case, would it be half the fun as driving it up ourselves?

My plan is to fly around the 25th of this month. Any sort of help would be great. Thank you.
Old 20th July 2009, 10:00   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Problem #1 is not driver less or with driver vehicle but altitude sickness. I suggest consult your doctor and two days prior start taking Disprin morning and evening. Plus drinking lots of water.

Why not fly to Leh? Spend a day recuperating and relaxing there and then do local sight seeing. Drive back from Leh to Manali or Srinagar. With eigt days constrain this may be better.
Old 20th July 2009, 10:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

Yeah - and get your driver to drive the car uptill Jammu/Srinagar. And maybe come back in a train if that helps

No seriously - saves you a bundle of time.

or have friends like HVK along!!!
Old 20th July 2009, 10:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

Harsh Nanchahal seems to have a very good experience with Hertz.
Read about it here: ladakh conquered...simply breathtaking - Page 16 - India Travel Forum, BCMTouring.com
Old 20th July 2009, 11:07   #5
BHPian

@ All : Thank you for the tips.
@ Anup : The kind of reply i was exactly looking for! So, does Hertz offer driverless car? Can i pick one up from Manali/Srinagar, or would i need to start from Delhi? Thanks man.
Old 20th July 2009, 11:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathranik View Post
@ Anup : The kind of reply i was exactly looking for! So, does Hertz offer driverless car? Can i pick one up from Manali/Srinagar, or would i need to start from Delhi? Thanks man.
Of course they give driverless cars, American style!
That is what Harsh & his friend used. Do go through that travelogue.
I'm not sure what options there are for start & finish points. You'd have to discuss it with Hertz, preferably through the good offices of a large corporate client of Hertz (that was Harsh's case). He mentions he got a twenty percent Corporate discount too!
Old 20th July 2009, 12:06   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Of course they give driverless cars, American style!
That is what Harsh & his friend used. Do go through that travelogue.
I'm not sure what options there are for start & finish points. You'd have to discuss it with Hertz, preferably through the good offices of a large corporate client of Hertz (that was Harsh's case). He mentions he got a twenty percent Corporate discount too!
That was such an amazing travelogue - truly unbelievable. I went through all the 27 pages, and couldnt have enough of the experience/pictures!
But i failed to discover the exact cost incurred by him for the rental . :(

Also, i saw you mentioning in that thread that there are private taxi operators who rent out self driven cars, though they are exhorbitant. Can you tell me about the approximate costs and/or some contacts? Can i get them off Manali / Srinagar?
Old 21st July 2009, 09:58   #8
Senior - BHPian

Mathranik, sorry, I have no idea about rentals here.

I've only heard that they always make a big rumpus about 'damage' suffered by the car and charge huge sums for repair.
Old 14th July 2010, 14:05   #9
BHPian

4x4 Rental

Be ready with a nice swanky card (Black>titanium>platinum>gold) with oodles of credit! (which I am sure isnt a problem nowadays). This is required to pre-authorize a deposit amount on your card. It does 2 things,
a) Gives Hertz capability to encash the pre-auth in-case there are damages (usually they do). This pre-auth is usually your total rental for number of days + deposit amount
b) Gives them sanctuary of sanity, that you are worth

Go to Hertz India site and speak with them. Carry some Corporate power with you as Anupji mentions, will do dollops for you.

Dont take cars, since usually they are battered in plains and send up for some sane duties. They have Endeavor 4x4, take that

Last edited by Ushuaia : 14th July 2010 at 14:06. Reason: missed mentioning models

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks