Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2009, 14:09   #1
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Route help needed - Mumbai to Mahableshwar!

Hi All,

We are planning a family weekend drive to Mahableshwar. Planning to leave on Friday evening / night so that we have the whole of Saturday to explore and return on Sunday.

Mahableshwar is one of the most visited hill stations for mostly the Mumbai and Pune residents. So am sure many Team-BHPians may have done a Mumbai/Pune-Mahableshwar trip more than once. I remember Team-BHP's first trip was to Mahableshwar, but since it does not have a detailed log, am posting a new query here.

This is our first trip and would need your help on :

- Route Info (Google Map directions etc)
- The best route and the timing. Road / Traffic conditions.
- Stop-over hotels for a quick snack / dinner
- Whats the approximate distance and time taken to reach.
- Places to visit.
- Hiring guides to show us all the places.

As of now we have 2 cars lined for the drive - Qualis and Swift. Cousin may get his Zen incase things get cramped. Time now to get those Team-BHP stickers on the cars
Old 20th July 2009, 14:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

Best and fastest route is:
Bombay-Pune-Shirwal-Wai-Panchgani-M'War

Shortest route is:
Bombay-Panvel-Pen-Mahad-Pholadpur-Pratapgarh-M'War

Pune route is 4-lane road till you turn off at M'War Phata off NH4 after Khambtaki Ghat.
Mahad route is conventional 2-lane road, has heavy traffic at certain times of the day, and road cracks up till Mahad after rains. Plus, I heard that the 35-km Pholadpur-M'war road is already damaged.

Budget for a 5 hour drive via Pune
If via Mahad, same time

For Pune route, expressway has food plazas (and cheap fuel), also some hotels on the Pune bypass (Soul Curry, Sadanand, etc)
For Mahad route, choices are limited, but there is a Kamat's Resort near Nagothane after Pen.

M'War has lots of lovely places:
Ideal circuit is M'War-Old M'War-Wilson's Seat-Kate's Point-Vena Lake, and
M'War-Pratapgarh-M'War, and
M'War-Pratapgarh Fort-M'War

No need for any guide.

It pours in M'War, so go fully prepared with rain gear and be prepared to drive in sheets of rain and heavy fog.
Old 20th July 2009, 14:31   #3
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

That was quick and very informative HVkumar. Thanks a lot.

So, Bombay-Pune-Shirwal-Wai-Panchgani-M'War seems to be the route we should take then. Yes, expressways have a good food plaza's so no worries now about stop-overs.

You sure, there would be no need for a guide? This is our first trip and want to make the most out of it. So want to make sure we do not miss out anything.
Old 20th July 2009, 14:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

In continuation with kumar sir's post,
better go via pune-khambataki ghat-surul-right turn under bridge-wai-panchgani-mahabaleshwar.
as you have one full day and half of the sunday, you can almost complete all the points depending upon rain.

point of interest
1] pratapgad fort
2] ladwick point
3]old mahabaleshwar/ kshetra mahabaleshwar
3] arthur seat point
4] kates point
5] venna lake
6] sunset point/mumbai point
7] market
8] mapro point
9] parsi point at panchagani.

if you start @9 am on saturday and cover the points in the order posted, you will cover almost all points with less repetition of route.
point 8 and 9 should be covered while returning from mahaby to panchgani on second day.
but looking at heavy rainfall, i wish you best luck.
hire a guide at start so that you will be sure about roads.[ as it is off season, guide will be with you for mere rs 100 for entire day].

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 20th July 2009 at 14:43.
Old 20th July 2009, 14:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

It is a simple circuit, no need for a guide.

Panchgani is on the main Pune road itself and Pratapgarh is just off the Pholadpur road.
Old 20th July 2009, 15:06   #6
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Ashish and HVKumar. I guess we'll decide on the guide part when we reach there.
Old 20th July 2009, 15:18   #7
Senior - BHPian

V12 Dont forget to eat the awesome sandwich & Strawberry Shakes at Mapro. You simply shouldn't miss that

As for route, like others said its pretty straight forward.
Old 20th July 2009, 16:03   #8
BHPian

I would agree with the route suggested by HVK ( i.e. to go via Pune ) than to go via Mahad, especially, since you plan to start the journey on Friday evening. Almost till right turn at Surur Phata for Wai - Panchgani, the road is double lane and is in very good shape. You would also have lot of option for your dinner on the way either on expressway or on Pune By-pass or on NH4 after Pune. If not anything, as suggested by Technocrat, enjoy excellent food at Mapro Gardens post Panchgani.

Ensure your headlights are working properly as it would be raining heavy in MahaB and also expect lots of Mist.

Please do take caution near points like Aurther Seat and Kate's Point as red soil becomes extremely slippery.

Another must see points as Cannaught Peak, and Lodwick point / Elephant Head point. Lingmala waterfall should also be in full force since Venna lake has started overflowing.

Drive cautiously and enjoy the holidays

take care and drive safely

Rajesh
Old 20th July 2009, 16:55   #9
BHPian

Did a pune- tamhini- mangaon- mahad- poladpur- mahabaleshwar- wai - pune drive yesterday. Drove up the poladpur ghat section to Mahabaleshwar quite late in the night. The roads were fun but not in great shape. Lots of gravel patches. But in case you are doing the night drive, fog is something that you will encounter for sure whether its the pune route or the poladpur route. Visibilty is really poor in the night. So please take that into account in your plans.
Old 22nd July 2009, 15:24   #10
BHPian

We had done Mumbai - Mahabaleshwar - Mumbai in February and with Mr Kumar's help I had taken the Pune route. Everything is ok except for the fact that as soon as the expressway ends, you will encounter heavy vehicles driving right on the right side of the road and the left hand side is full of bikers or ladies with their scooties till atleast another 10/15 kms. Otherwise no problems.

While coming back we had taken the poladpur route which was definately shorter route and roads were good then but not sure of today's situation.

Afaik, Guide shouldnt be neccessary right from beginning as if you visit table top, they have these horse carts, the drivers turn into guides as you go along. Also do take a view of one off stars/planets during the day time if the skies are clear. We were able to view venus in bright daylight. I dont know how true it was but neverthless I cherished the experience.

Pratapgarh is a must visit, There are official guides there and they are very very good. They claim to be descendants of Shivaji Raje's Soldiers or maulis as they were called. Some 50 families reside on the fort itself. Also do not forget to eat their bhakri and bhaji that they serve inside the fort. Its heavenly. So if you are going in early morning, skip your breakfast to relish these delicacies.

Venna lake has makai pattice, strawberry milkshakes and lots of gambling games. Sandwiches at Mapro are to die for.

One more suggestion on an anfterthought, Do not go for a Hotel which packages food with its stay, otherwise you wont be able to enjoy the food being offered outside.

My two cents. Enjoy

Mansi
Old 22nd July 2009, 17:27   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
In continuation with kumar sir's post,
better go via pune-khambataki ghat-surul-right turn under bridge-wai-panchgani-mahabaleshwar.
as you have one full day and half of the sunday, you can almost complete all the points depending upon rain.

point of interest
1] pratapgad fort
2] ladwick point
3]old mahabaleshwar/ kshetra mahabaleshwar
3] arthur seat point
4] kates point
5] venna lake
6] sunset point/mumbai point
7] market
8] mapro point
9] parsi point at panchagani.

if you start @9 am on saturday and cover the points in the order posted, you will cover almost all points with less repetition of route.
point 8 and 9 should be covered while returning from mahaby to panchgani on second day.
but looking at heavy rainfall, i wish you best luck.
hire a guide at start so that you will be sure about roads.[ as it is off season, guide will be with you for mere rs 100 for entire day].
Ashish Bhai, i dont agree that you can complete all above points in a day. As you know i was there in mid-May of this year and spent almost half a day only at the pratapgarh fort.

And, going from one point to other point through those lovely snaky roads will take some time.

My suggestion,

Day 1 : Pratapgarh Fort, Kate's Point and Arthur Point

Day 2 : Table top land at pachgani, Mapro point and Venna lake and head back to Mumbai

I found Arthur Seat as the best point and Kate is also good whereas all other points would be almost same, so i recommend skip them. Fort needs a rigourous walk up, most of the women folk may not like this idea

Forget about doing boating at Venna Lake as you have atleast a 2-3 hour queue for tickets ( especially on weekends). Just go there enjoy some horse riding and cool breeze ( if its not pouring cats and dogs in mahabaleshwar now)

Btw, dont forget to eat Corn Pakoda and Strawberry Sundae at Kate's Point.

And, keep a minimum of Rs.1K budget for all the squashes and jams that you can buy at Mapro Store.

Enjoy your trip and post some pictures of mahabaleshwar in monsoon
Old 23rd July 2009, 11:29   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Allen, the road from Panvel (start of the expressway) all the way to Wai (bottom of Panchgani) is a cruiser's dream. Leave early so you encounter minimal traffic. This road is typical 5th / 6th gear consistent-speed expressway cruising. The distance from Dadar to Panchgani is about 250 kms, add another 15 for Mahabaleshwar. You can easily complete it within 4 hours.

Only last week, I did a quick splash & dash to Mahabaleshwar. The weather right now is to die for. Cold, heavy rains and dense fog. Would be a good idea to take a fog-lamp equipped car.

V IMP : You MUST have a coupla wet go-karting sessions with your brother at Velocity (between Panchgani and Mahabaleshwar on the north side of the road). Savoy Dhaba at Mahabaleshwar is a good restaurant for family lunches.
Old 24th July 2009, 10:52   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Ashish Bhai, i dont agree that you can complete all above points in a day.
I agree your statement if you posted it in summer.

Man, this is monsoon,
no one will stop at any point for more time due to rain and fog/mist, thats why , you can complete it in a day except point 8 & 9.

I just mentioned venna lake, not boating, as it is closed in monsoon.
Old 20th February 2012, 00:07   #14
BHPian

Re: Route help needed - Mumbai to Mahableshwar!

Dear all

Anyone done Mumbai-Mahabaleshwar recently? I'm doing trip in March, planned route is

Mumbai-expresway-pune-khambataki ghat-surul-right turn under bridge-wai-panchgani-mahabaleshwar

How's the 50km stretch from Surur to Mahabaleshwar?
Old 27th February 2012, 16:57   #15
BHPian

Re: Route help needed - Mumbai to Mahableshwar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitsingh08 View Post
Dear all

Anyone done Mumbai-Mahabaleshwar recently? I'm doing trip in March, planned route is

Mumbai-expresway-pune-khambataki ghat-surul-right turn under bridge-wai-panchgani-mahabaleshwar

How's the 50km stretch from Surur to Mahabaleshwar?
Amit, I did Pune-Mahableshwar-Pune yesterday. NH4 from Pune-Surur is not as butter smooth as it used to be - it has got a bit bumpy in places maybe due to the effects of six laning work going on. The route planned by you is perfect, however you could face a torrid time in the Khambatki Ghat while going towards Mahableshwar, on account of massive trailer trucks trying to negotiate the bends and even trying to overtake each other.

Please note that due to six laning work goint on, the flyover at Surur is now temoprarily operational in the opposite direction. So you cannot go under it, but have to go over it, and at the first break in the barrier take a u-turn onto the service lane going towards Pune. Then you take the immediate left turn towards Wai. From Surur all the way to Mahableshwar the road is in excellent shape, including the Pasarni Ghat.

Internal roads in Mahableshwar are generally in good shape except a few rough patches on way to Arthur Seat Point etc.

Again while returning from Mahableshwar to Mumbai, please note that the flyover at Wadgaon on the Katraj-Dehu Road bypass is temporarily operational in both the directions on account of six laning work. So you will have to go over it in the temporary left lane and then continue towards the Mumbai expressway.

Hope this helps.
suniladhiya is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks