Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2009, 18:03   #1
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore-Munnar trip - Sept end,Pls Help Plan

Hi All,

My dad has been wanting to visit Kerela for a long time and so have we, so am planning to take a few days off at the end of September (26th Sept-4th Oct) and drive down to Gods Own country.

I have read a lot of threads available on this but am confused regarding what all I can cover.

Please help me figure this out guys.
How many days to spend and at what places
Munnar,Thekkady and Kumarakom seem like the to visit for sure. Possible to cover these three without tiring the folks too much?
Sorry for a very vague query but after reading so many beautiful travelogues I feel like covering everything but at the same time cant really do that .

Thanks ppl.

Last edited by sammyboy : 27th July 2009 at 18:16.
Old 27th July 2009, 20:58   #2
BHPian

Sammyboy,
Good decision and September should be Ideal time to visit Gods own country. Though I have been to Thekkady and Munnar couple of times with friends. But last January I had been there with my wife. Unfortunately, I had to sell my M800 that time and was awaiting a new car. Hence I couldnt take my car, but with the travel bus.
There is nothing much to explore in Thekkady until and unless you are a lonely nature lover. But with family a day or two would do in Thekkady. Boating is something shouldnt be missed in Thekkady;followed with jungle trekking, herbal village and kerala body massage etc.
Munnar is a beautiful place unlike Kodai or Ooty being too commercial. Tea estates all around. You would need atleast 2-3 days to completely explore this place. By the way how are you planning to visit these places?
Old 27th July 2009, 21:24   #3
BHPian

By the way, the picture you see below my name on the left side is from Munnar.
Old 27th July 2009, 21:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

Thanks rabnawaz. I am planninf to drive down from Bangalore. That should give me flexibility to go wherever i want
Plan is just to enjoy the natural beauty of Kerela. Will also have to look at the routes to take and road conditions as well.
Old 27th July 2009, 22:00   #5
BHPian

I am guessing with parents you might want to have longer stays in limited number of places and not try to cover everything in a week's span.
Munnar is definitely a very good decision, just went there late last year. Drive up the mountains from Cochin was just awesome.
I would suggest that you spend a night at Cochin as well, the place has got a very nice old Catholic style appeal, nice architecture as such.
Thekaddy, is a nice place as well, though I went there almost 15 years back, so I guess the place has changed considerably since then.
But again with folks, I would recommend that you try not to have whirlwind sort of a tour of Kerala. (Out of my own experience of traveling with parents)
Old 27th July 2009, 22:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

Aman, you have put exactly what I had in mind. I am looking at a relaxed visit rather than a whirlwind tour. I just cant figure out for the love of God what route to take
Old 27th July 2009, 23:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

Munnar - You can cover all the imp places in just one day. Start around 8am from hotel and you will be back by 3pm.

Check this out http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ry-munnar.html

Thekkady too same. One long boat drive and you are almost done. Travel between these place will take around 4 hours.

Kumarakonam - Now you its all yours for Kumarakonam. Not visited, but I dont think it would take several days to cover.

Got it
Old 28th July 2009, 11:11   #8
Senior - BHPian

Sept is good time to visit Kerala with less rainfall and good climate. You will get good rates for your stay as well. Also you can enjoy much better greenery than of March-Apr months. Best places would be Munnar/Alleppy(Kumarakom) and Kochi. If time permits, Vagamon is a good place to visit.

Prefer overnight stay in houseboat at Kumarakom (Normal check in-11.30am-check out-9.30am) thus you can experience natural beauty of Kerala backwaters/countryside.

Please check other threads in this forum for route through Tamil Nadu to reach Munnar and while going back, take NH47 if you are visiting Kochi (via Trichur/Palghat/Coimbatore/Mettur/Thoppur/Dharmapuri/Krishnagiri/Hosur/Bangalore).

Check NH47 in Kerala before you travel as the condition is getting worse day by day due to rain.
Old 28th July 2009, 23:27   #9
Senior - BHPian

Mjothi - Thanks for the suggestion MJ good to hear from you after a long time.Did go through the entire thread, lovely pics and narration as usual man.

CoolClouds - Thanks a lot. Yes, i was also looking at the houseboat stay. Any idea of the charges ? We would be 5 ppl . Regarding the route, yeah guess will have to check just before going as the road conditions in india change faster than the weather.
Old 28th July 2009, 23:33   #10
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

The best way to see Munnar is not to rush through it in a day. Take a day to go from the town to Top Slip. Another day towards the Udumalpet/Cochin route, go visit the sanctuary etc. You can even keep changing places, from staying at a tree house to home stays in the hills away from the city to resorts. Most importantly, just relax and enjoy the place than wanting to head out to see places.
Old 29th July 2009, 01:21   #11
Senior - BHPian

@mjothi:it is kumarakom(कुमाराकम/குமறகம்);which is very near to Kottayam town.I think you confused the name with kumbhakonam .
regarding the route in kerala,
enter from udumalpetta or via bodimett to munnar then to cochin via NH49 or via Perumbavoor-kakkanad-cochin route.
From Kochi(n) ,now you can reach kumarakom via cherthala-thaneermukkam bund-kumarakom(Hope someone can clarify the route since I haven't travelled in this route).

Last edited by deepclutch : 29th July 2009 at 01:24.
Old 29th July 2009, 02:49   #12
BHPian

Sammyboy nice to hear about your trip. In my experience it is better you start with thekkedy.(From Bangalore it is better to travel more though Tamil Nadu roads than Kerala roads). Since i have driven somany times through both sides (one entrance is at kumily and the other through Coibatore/Valayar. My house is close to thekkedy), but still i have used Bangalore/ Hosur/Krishnagiri/dharmapuri/Thoppur/Coimbatore/ Palghat/ Trichur/Kochi/Kottayam/Pala/ and enter Kottayam - Kumili NH and finally reach close to thekkedy. But as soon as i enter kerala border through this way i always felt ,the roads are very bad even immediately after Valayar Checkpost. So try to travel maximum through TN roads as it is better to drive. The route is Bangalore/Hosure/Salem/Dindigul/ Vattalakkundu(Spelling may be wrong, but sounds exactly same) Theni/ Kumbum / Kumuli and finally Thekkady. Depending on your travel schedule you can either stay overnight there or head to kuttikkanam and spend over night at Trisangu Haven Resort on top of the hill (This is a really nice place to spend a day than most resorts in kumily/ thekkedy area.) This Kuttikanam is almost 36-37kms from Kumily (kumily is border to TN) I'm sure you will like the place kuttikkanam and the mentioned resort. The next morning you can head to Vagamon and Munnar directly from Kuttikkanam. Finally from Munnar head to kottayam and then Kumarakom. If you PM me i can give you exact route details. Take a house boat (I saw you asking for houseboat expenses, give me a day, i may be able to get you information about some sweet deals through my friends here in Bangalore who are basically from kumarakom, may be i could arrange you some cheaper and good accommodation too in any of the home stays there). If you want any further info, please pm me, it is my pleasure to help you. Have a good time in kerala and make the best use of the trip.
Old 29th July 2009, 08:45   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
@mjothi:it is kumarakom(कुमाराकम/குமறகம்);which is very near to Kottayam town.I think you confused the name with kumbhakonam .
enter from udumalpetta or via bodimett to munnar then to cochin via NH49 or via Perumbavoor-kakkanad-cochin route.
From Kochi(n) ,now you can reach kumarakom via cherthala-thaneermukkam bund-kumarakom(Hope someone can clarify the route since I haven't travelled in this route).
I think the spelling made you think so

I was meaning the one in Kerala only!
Old 29th July 2009, 10:09   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
From Munnar to Kumarakom, you may take NH49 via Adimaly/Kothamangalam till Muvattupuzha then MC road to Kottayam/Kumarakom

You may visit Kochi on your way back to Bangalore (Kumarakom-Cherthalai-Kochi-Trichur-Palghat-Coimbatore).

I personally feel that Alleppy backwater is better than Kumarakom (for houseboat stay) but don't know how many will agree!

Since you are only 5, prefer a small boat which can cruise through narrow canals. There are one bed boats to huge 5room+100pax conference deck boats available. During this monsoon, the rates could be very less.
Old 30th July 2009, 18:02   #15
Senior - BHPian

Thank you very much for your inputs McLaren, Willeys78 and Coolclouds.
Unfortulately the plans of this vacation seem to be diminishing as my sister might have her exams in the first week of Oct :( . But nevertheless, will try to do this as soon as it is possible.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks