Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2022, 23:23   #1216
BHPian

re: The Air Travel & Airports Discussion Thread

Hi all, I am flying DEL-FRA on Air India and FRA-ZRH on Swiss. The PNRs are different but they're booked together on Yatra so I'm assuming it is a code sharing flight.

I won't be exiting the transit terminal at FRA. I have a Swiss residence permit & no specific Germany visa.

Questions:
1. Air India says I have to collect my baggage at FRA and check in my baggage again. Do I have to clear immigration at Frankfurt. I'm assuming my RP will suffice and I don't need a transit visa, yes?

2. Switzerland needs a health declaration and test within 72 hours. Anyone know where to find the German criteria please?

Thanks.

Last edited by digitalnirvana : 7th February 2022 at 23:32.
Old 8th February 2022, 05:18   #1217
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Found a KLM flight hopping at Amsterdam, learnt from their helpline that transit is possible with just a health declaration
That’s good. Either way, since you will have a negative result report, it will suffice. If EU carriers are accepting onwards connections, why do we still call bubble arrangements?

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Hi all, I am flying DEL-FRA on Air India and FRA-ZRH on Swiss. The PNRs are different but they're booked together on Yatra so I'm assuming it is a code sharing flight.
Personally, I would not be booking such connections. If AI flight is delayed, Swiss may or may not change your connection without a charge. Such aggregators, find cheapest connections and book together but with airline these maybe considered as totally different tickets. Good thing is that Swiss and AI both are star alliance so they may have some arrangements.

Quote:
I won't be exiting the transit terminal at FRA. I have a Swiss residence permit & no specific Germany visa.

1. Air India says I have to collect my baggage at FRA and check in my baggage again. Do I have to clear immigration at Frankfurt. I'm assuming my RP will suffice and I don't need a transit visa, yes?
I don’t have a firm answer but usually, to collect the luggage, you need to clear immigration. Swiss Visa is the same as for Germany i.e Schengen, so your residence permit should also be valid. Does it mentions EU anywhere?

Non-EU citizens living in one of the countries that do apply the agreement fully (so-called Schengen States) with a valid residence permit do not need a visa for visits to Germany of up to 90 days in any period of 180 days when not taking up work.
https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/en/v...laender/606744

Quote:
Switzerland needs a health declaration and test within 72 hours. Anyone know where to find the German criteria please?
Again, not sure but the same test should be valid for Germany too.

Last edited by Turbanator : 8th February 2022 at 05:30.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 05:51   #1218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post

Immigration is done at Frankfurt airport, as is a full body scan. I hope you have enough time for your connection as the queues at immigration can get really long. I am not sure why you have to pick up your bags and check in again. Please check your luggage allowance on both flights. As far as I know, air india allows to check in 2 bags x 23 kg each I hope your Zurich connection will allow the same.
Is your residence registered in Switzerland with the local authorities or this is a first time entry?

You will not have further checks at Zurich. You may not even find a soul at the airport depending on which connection you take, there are multiple every day. Carry a few euros for convenience at Frankfurt airport (snack etc).
selfdrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 06:20   #1219
BHPian

Hi @Turbanator thanks and I agree, Yatra are just an aggregator and I'm struggling with them because Air India had cancelled one part of the 3 leg journey and I had to book an alternative itinerary. I chose them because this is a relatively cheap ticket at 55k going by current conditions. There is a 3.5 hour layover at FRA so I'm hoping it will be sufficient including immigration

Hi @selfdrive thanks for the inputs. I was told by Yatra to check with Swiss as I need to collect the baggage and check it in again. I already have a registered address with the canton. This is not my first entry. I also have a written email confirming that the luggage allowance on Swiss is also the same of 2 x 23 kg. I'll reconfirm it, thanks for the heads up again.
Old 18th February 2022, 11:37   #1220
BHPian

Hi Team,

Have 2 questions related to international travel,

1. Is it better to book international flights on sites such as makemytrip, cleartip, etc.. or book on the airline sites directly. What will be the difference if we have a connecting flight at the transit ? Any problems with such bookings ?

Basically looking for AirIndia flights (due to pricing and baggage allowance of 23kg x 2 pcs) to Stockholm.

Few options are HYD-DEL-FRA-ARN, HYD-DEL-CDG-ARN. However, AI website doesn't show this itinerary for booking. It has only till FRA or CDG.

If we book from MMT is the baggage allowance of 23 kg x 2 is applied to the FRA-ARN or CDG-ARN flights also as these are operated by other carriers ? What about the PNR and Luggage checkout and check in again at FRA/CDG ?

Is it allowed to book separately in AI till FRA/CDG and then connecting flight with another carrier. In this case, do I need to collect luggage and check-in again ? Also do I need to buy additional baggage for the connecting flight ?

Which is better option to book via MMT/CT or directly from airliner ?

2. Immigration clearance in Inida and Transit point

At which airport the immigration checking will be carried ? In case of HYD-DEL-FRA/CDG-ARN.. will it be in HYD or DEL ?

Also in EU side do I need to clear immigration in FRA/CDG before boarding the next flight to ARN ? Does transit visa required for FRA/CDG ?

Thanks in advance..
Old 24th March 2022, 14:46   #1221
BHPian

Re: A YetiGuide® to Airlines, Airports and Domestic Air Travel

Any member recently used (last 2-3 weeks) below airports? Looking for first hand information on mandatory requisites from Covid perspective and average time needed to be spent (entry/exit) for airport formalities under covid circumstances.

1. Barcelona - BCN
2. Amsterdam - AMS
3. Geneva - GVA

Any input will be helpful as i am planning to use these airports in next 4 weeks.
Old 26th March 2022, 12:56   #1222
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by top_gear View Post
Any member recently used (last 2-3 weeks) below airports? Looking for first hand information on mandatory requisites from Covid perspective and average time needed to be spent (entry/exit) for airport formalities under covid circumstances.

1. Barcelona - BCN
2. Amsterdam - AMS
3. Geneva - GVA

Any input will be helpful as i am planning to use these airports in next 4 weeks.
I would go the the respective airport websites and check
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2022, 13:30   #1223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I would go the the respective airport websites and check
Certainly Ajmat.

I am already going through respective websites of airport and also contacting them on email/call.

However, first hand ground feedback always helps as some things are not mentioned/latest information on portal of airports or flight service providers. Covid has made traveling very dynamic and rule book changes over night.

Last month, i was zipping through airport and airline demanded "Physical Prints" of covid reports which i was not carrying (I had digital version) and had to spend time and money to get it printed at airport with a long queue.
Old 27th March 2022, 16:43   #1224
BHPian

We (family of three) have an international flight to catch from delhi T3 next week departing at 4am. In order to catch that, we are reaching new delhi by train (since we are travelling heavy) the previous day. We will have about 17 hours to kill between the train reaching ND railway station at 11 AM and the flight departing 4 AM the following morning. Can someone please recommend a decent hotel which is easily accessible (either yatri niwas at nd railway st or a hotel close to the terminal) and is not too expensive, since we will not need the room for more than 12 hours. Since we will have the maximum permissible baggage allowance, cab availability/expenses is also a factor.
Old 28th March 2022, 07:14   #1225
BHPian

Quote:
Since we will have the maximum permissible baggage allowance, cab availability/expenses is also a factor.
Since your flight is at 4:00 AM, you have to be at the Airport by 1:00 AM. As you are looking for killing time around New Delhi Railway Station, implore the possibility of using last run of Airport Line Metro to travel to Airport.
I think it would be around 11:30 or so.
This would take care of your baggage issues besides easy and comfortable ride.
Amrik Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2022, 07:51   #1226
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
Since your flight is at 4:00 AM, you have to be at the Airport by 1:00 AM. As you are looking for killing time around New Delhi Railway Station, implore the possibility of using last run of Airport Line Metro to travel to Airport.
I think it would be around 11:30 or so.
This would take care of your baggage issues besides easy and comfortable ride.
Thanks, there seems to be no yatri niwas at the ND rail stn, so thinking of catching the metro right away and be at the vicinity of the airport. I know there are hotels at aerocity, are there any very close to the aerocity metro (within 200-300 m)?
hothatchaway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2022, 08:16   #1227
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, there seems to be no yatri niwas at the ND rail stn, so thinking of catching the metro right away and be at the vicinity of the airport. I know there are hotels at aerocity, are there any very close to the aerocity metro (within 200-300 m)?
However, problem of transportation with baggage will persist. Am not too sure of transport availability which can be confirmed by the Hotel, you intend to check in.
Amrik Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2022, 19:55   #1228
Senior - BHPian

Hello friends
Mods, sorry if this is not the right thread.
I wanted to know if anyone has availed the COVID testing facility at Indira Gandhi International airport recently. My parents are scheduled to take the American Airlines flight to JFK which departs at 11:55PM. According to travel.state.gov, the test must be performed one calendar day in advance. If their flight gets delayed by 5 minutes, then they are into the next calendar day!
Checking online, I see that there is a testing facility at T3, opposite gate 2 that can provide Antigen test results within half an hour.
I wanted to know if anyone has used this facility recently.
Thanks!
Amitoj
Old 16th April 2022, 10:30   #1229
Team-BHP Support

An unfortunate consequence of Brexit: Indians (as with other foreigners) can't travel to the UK on European carriers that have a halt in a European country, without a Schengen or transit visa. This has been so since 1-Jan but the full effect will be seen only now, given resumption of flights without restrictions.

Direct flights between India and UK would not affected.

Quote:
Indian citizens, without transit or regular Schengen visas, are unable to fly to the UK through European Union airlines like Lufthansa, KLM and Air France as they are stopped at the origin airports in India itself.

As the UK is no longer part of the European Union, it has, post Brexit, made mandatory of for non-EU citizens to get a transit Schengen visa in order to fly to the UK on transit flights operated by its airlines.
https://www.business-standard.com/ar...1500521_1.html
libranof1987 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 09:15   #1230
Senior - BHPian

I have an early morning (3.30AM) flight from Dubai and I am checking out of my hotel the previous morning. So one night, I need to spend at DXB.

I expect to reach the airport by 9PM and my intention is dinner, a nap and freshening up just before the flight. All told, perhaps 4-5 hours of stay.

Which (paid) lounge is recommended?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks