Team-BHP - The Air Travel & Airports Discussion Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   The Air Travel & Airports Discussion Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/63892-air-travel-airports-discussion-thread-9.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenjiRoss (Post 1682565)
3. Do you need a transit visa if you are transitting through KL or singapore - the halts are about 15 hours.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi (Post 1682944)
3. You will need no visa as you will not be expected to leave the airport. 15 hours is a looong wait. Is there no way of avoiding this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD (Post 1667636)
Malaysia has abolished transit visa on arrival for Indians. If any Indian is using KUL as transit hub, he should obtain regular visa before travel. It clearly means that there will be no visa on arrival for Indians while going to Malaysia from any airport in India.

please read my post for malaysia transit at kul.
from 1/12/2009 onwards, indian need proper visa to transit at kul.
please check
Consulate General of Malaysia, Mumbai

Sorry boss, I would go with Sam here. MAS serves a humongous number of transit pax - there's no way everyone would pay more for a visa. This would kill MAS if they implemented this for many countries

Its only in India that we have archaic visa policies!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD (Post 1684982)
please check

Quote:

Originally Posted by phamilyman (Post 1685048)
Sorry boss, I would go with Sam here.

Its surprising but there will be no transit visa for Indians.
Please, check the link i posted. In the announcement ticker at right corner, there is the news about this transit funda.

This is probably Off topic, but I need contact details (email) of someone senior at Air India. I need to lodge a complaint on their lapse of service in the BLR-BOM-FRA flight. Luggage was not checked in properly and this caused a missed connecting flight. Will explain details later but is there any specific contact address where they will sit up and notice the complaint? Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD (Post 1684982)
please read my post for malaysia transit at kul.
please check

The scroller is a little difficult to read, but finally read it:
Quote:

WITH EFFECT FROM 1 DECEMBER 2009, TRANSIT FACILITY WITHOUT VISA UP
TO 120 HOURS AT ENTRY POINTS IN MALAYSIA GIVEN TO INDIAN
PASSPOSRT HOLDERS IS CANCELLED. PASSENGERS TRANSITTING IN
MALAYSIA FOR ENROUTE TO OTHER COUNTRIES IS REQUIRED TO OBTAIN A
SHORT VISIT/SOCIAL VISA TO ENTER MALAYSIA. INDIAN PASSPORT
HOLDER HAVING VALID PERMANENT RESIDENT STATUS OR VALID LONG STAY
PERMIT OR VALID WORK PERMIT ISSUED BY OTHER THIRD COUNTRIES MAY
STILL BE ISSUED THE TRANSIT FACILITY UP TO 120 HOURS AT 5 ENTRY
POINTS IN MALAYSIA.
Does this affect you if you are just transitting through the airport - from one terminal to the other? I think this rule is only if you want to go out of the airport or stay at an outside hotel during the transit.

Had a question for those who've travelled from B'lore to the US flying BA. How's the experience been? Typically, are the flights comfortable and the staff courteous? My folks are flying BA for the 1st time ( after using Lufthansa for the past 9 years) and will be flying in from B'lore (to Houston).Any inputs here?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitin (Post 1722763)
Had a question for those who've travelled from B'lore to the US flying BA. How's the experience been? Typically, are the flights comfortable and the staff courteous? My folks are flying BA for the 1st time ( after using Lufthansa for the past 9 years) and will be flying in from B'lore (to Houston).Any inputs here?

This thread has a few reviews and experiences about BA. Try page 6 of this thread.
From http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post1481996

Flying Tiger to Singapore soon.

Apparently no frills, no thrills for free! Not even a blanket included in the fare. I'm not complaining about this, because the ticket was priced way below other airlines, and it's only four hours.

Thanks Benji. I remember seeing those posts.I was looking for some updated info, from those who've used BA in the past few months.None-the-less, seems like the quality of service isn't bad at all.The 'Baggage Afterwards' part does sound scary though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitin (Post 1722995)
Thanks Benji. I remember seeing those posts.I was looking for some updated info, from those who've used BA in the past few months.None-the-less, seems like the quality of service isn't bad at all.The 'Baggage Afterwards' part does sound scary though.

I've travelled on BA from Hyd to Washington DC on Jan 2nd via Heathrow. The flight was on time and had no issues whatsoever. The staff were very courteous and the Indian food was top notch.

However, a Microsoft pal of mine who travelled from Seattle in Nov to Hyd had some items missing from his baggage--he lost 5 cds of Windows 7.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom (Post 1722976)
Flying Tiger to Singapore soon.

Apparently no frills, no thrills for free!.

Are you travelling with luggage?
How much did you end up paying for the ticket?
I've seen their booking page and it adds cost depending on how much luggage you wanna carry, for food, for choosing your seats, etc
Do let me know how the experience was!

[quote=Nitin;1722763]Had a question for those who've travelled from B'lore to the US flying BA. How's the experience been? Typically, are the flights comfortable and the staff courteous? QUOTE]

If the weather is good and the stopover time is more than 1 hour in Heathrow. You are okay. T5 is a nice place to changeover at. Staff pleasant, food, okay - you can see the cost cutting but not as revolting at american Airlines

I flew Emirates to San Francisco last month. The BLR-DXB flight was cramped and de-specced. The DXB-SFO flight was fab. Great entertainment system, good food. Only two hour stop over in DXB so flight was short.

Stopover in DXB -free showers but you need to carry a towel. Shops expensive. Food - food courts are on extreme ends - I never saw them. Allow 45 min for security. US flights have additional security pre-boarding.

Toilets - normally big queue's unlike in Singapore. Again, when people turn off for security into the duty free area. Walk on and you will see more toilets which are not used frequently.

It is not a relax and chill out place unlike T3 in Singapore.

MY suitcase got damaged. They took my details and collected my bag next day. A delay since I did not have original bill for a 3v yr old bag. They offered me 50% of what I said I paid. Cheque is on its way

Am posting on behalf of my Fiancee who is in Prague right now. This is a summary of her recent travel experience with Air India.

Itinerary:
Bangalore - Bombay - Air India (Depart: 8:20 PM IST, Arrival: 9:50 PM IST)
Bombay - Frankfurt - Air India (Depart: 1:55 AM IST Arrival: 6:30 AM CET)
Frankfurt - Prague - Lufthansa (Depart: 8:30 AM CET,Arrival: 9:30 AM CET)

Tickets booked by her companies travel desk. Entire itinerary booked under one trip code.

At Bangalore Airport Air India counter, she asked if her luggage will be checked-in all the way to Prague or till Frankfurt?

Air India rep said the luggage will be checked-in only till Frankfurt and she has to collect the luggage, re-check in with Lufthansa.

So her flight landed in Frankfurt at 6:35 AM (CET). By the time she disembarked and arrived at baggage collection, a considerable time was spent. Then waiting at baggage conveyor. Then run to Lufthansa counter, check-in (where they charged EUR 30 for 2 Kgs extra, while AI had not mentioned anything about extra weight). After check-in, run to Security check where there is huge queue. She requested with the personnel that she has a connecting flight and could she complete the security check immediately. She was not allowed to do so and by the time the check was done and she ran to the boarding gate, it was 8:20 AM.

The gate was closed and she had to walk back to Lufthansa counter. There she was told it was not Lufthansa's mistake as the flight was on time and she has to pay for a new ticket. So she made a few calls: one to Prague to reschedule her business appointments, then to her office to inform the situation. Then, an Indian national who was at the counter agreed to her request and rescheduled her boarding pass to the afternoon flight. The afternoon flight was delayed and she reached Prague in the evening.

After reaching Prague, she found out from her colleagues (who had traveled to Prague a few weeks earlier) that Air India had checked-in their luggage all the way from Bangalore-Prague. And last week, one more colleague arrived in Prague and his luggage was checked-in all the way to Prague too.

So only her luggage was checked-in up to Frankfurt. Which is unfair and which led to her loosing one business day and all appointments gone haywire. Not to mention the stress she had go through lugging around her luggage everywhere.

She has shot a mail to a few AI email addresses with the details and has asked for an explanation.

Any suggestions on is it Air India's fault? If so, what action can be taken?

PS: Sorry for the lengthy post and one that may not be grammatically correct.

Just returned from HK/Macau and flew Mum-HK on Jet...its a great flight with very good servcie, food and entertainment options....I would even say better than Singapore Airlines...the business class is extremly well specced.

@Ashwin - it is purely Air India's mistake. This is completely irresponsible flight booking honestly. As a codeshare partner, Lufthansa should have managed the luggage.

First error - the cartoon at AI desk. If I was her, I would've called up my travel desk and they would've sorted it out.

Thereafter, Lufthansa could've been smarter, but they were not. Too bad - that's the flipside of Germans - rule bound.