Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2010, 14:56   #211
BHPian

I would be going to US by Lufthansa with 2hrs halt at Munich airport.I wont be going out of airport.
Do i still need transit visa for Germany?
Also tried google but feedback is bit conflicting and confusing.
Old 23rd April 2010, 16:46   #212
Senior - BHPian

Travel Insurance for International Travel

I will be travelling to Australia in a few days and need basic Travel Insurance - mainly to cover baggage delay/loss, flight delays, cancellations etc.
I already have Health Insurance from the day i join work at Australia and hence not looking for elaborate health care cover in the Travel Insurance.

I was thinking Royal Sundaram, Tata-AIG, Bajaj Allianz.

Any specific suggestions, avoidances or experiences are welcome.
Old 23rd April 2010, 17:15   #213
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr View Post
I would be going to US by Lufthansa with 2hrs halt at Munich airport.I wont be going out of airport. Do i still need transit visa for Germany?
No. As long as you are in the international area of the airport, i.e., transit area, you do not require a visa in Munich.

Old 24th April 2010, 00:15   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
No. As long as you are in the international area of the airport, i.e., transit area, you do not require a visa in Munich.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr View Post
I would be going to US by Lufthansa with 2hrs halt at Munich airport.I wont be going out of airport.
Do i still need transit visa for Germany?
Also tried google but feedback is bit conflicting and confusing.
LH requires you to have a transit visa when travelling on certain types of visas ( for example, if you are on an OPT- b/w and F1 and H1B visa, then you need a transit visa for sure). I was asked to get a Schengen visa when I was going through Frankfurt way back in 2004.
Old 24th April 2010, 00:25   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
LH requires you to have a transit visa when travelling on certain types of visas ( for example, if you are on an OPT- b/w and F1 and H1B visa, then you need a transit visa for sure). I was asked to get a Schengen visa when I was going through Frankfurt way back in 2004.
Just arrived india last week via frankfurt from Lufthansa. And my schengen visa is expired as well so was a little worried this time. But no hassle as such. So far i know according to my experiences Its a hassle when somebody is transitting through UK because one need to have either a schengen or US visa to transit through UK.
Munich is the best airport i have ever seen in this world though. big smoking lounges,very quiet,nice food,nice meaningful shops and the funny part is that they have a sex toy shop in the airport as well.
Old 4th May 2010, 12:30   #216
Senior - BHPian

Ddf

I was returning to Mumbai from Dubai about a week back when I made the mandatory stop at the liquids department to stock up. I picked up 8 different bottles, all of which were very variedly priced, i.e. in the range of AED 30 - AED 201. I proceeded with my purchases to the billing counter, paid by credit card, signed the slip without checking the particulars, and wheeled over to the aircraft.

Once seated in the aircraft, I decided to browse through the bill, and I suddenly realized that I was billed for 2 nos. of an AED 201 item when I had bought just one. And an AED 30 item that I had bought 2 of, was billed as 1. Obviously, the lady at the cash counter had made a mistake with regards to which bottle she had to scan twice while making the bill. So here I was, sitting in the aircraft, ready to depart, with a payment of AED 171 extra on my credit card.

To add to my clumsiness in the whole episode, I lost the bill after I reached India. However I had another bill which was made by a friend just a minute before that. With those bill details, and explaining what had happened, I wrote an email to the address on their website.

Within a couple of hours, I had a reply from a customer service executive, apologizing for what seemed to be an error at their end, and promising to look into the matter. Two days later, I received another email saying that they would hand over the money to me or any representative carrying certain details that they have provided to me, from their counter at the airport! Incredibly fast and prompt action in the matter, I would think.

Now.. if anyone is passing through Dubai's Terminal 1...
Old 6th May 2010, 06:40   #217
Senior - BHPian

Guys.

Need your urgent help - to plan a Europe trip (need to book by today evening). I have the two options (everything else is 20% costlier). What do BHPians recommend?

a. Aeroflot via Moscow. Their safety record is quite decent actually. And they fly 767-300s from Delhi which is safe enough.
b. Swiss via Zurich (+10% cost). Their safety record is a bit tardy, I'm afraid. They ofc fly newer planes all the way so I'm good.

Personally, I am confused. My prejudice is against Aeroflot. But their safety record is actually decent. I am a paranoid flier (flown enough but still paranoid!) care only about safety and a comfortable flight (can survive on chips).

Thanks in advance for ideas!

PS: One thing pissing me off about Aeroflot is that in Moscow, even if I'm transiting and I am delayed for 8 hours in the terminal - I need to have a transit visa bought. Which can happen in a contingency but is just another little thing to be kept in mind!
PPS: I am personally a great fan of all things Swiss & German (been there previously) but the safety record is frankly unsettling.

Last edited by phamilyman : 6th May 2010 at 06:46.
Old 6th May 2010, 08:27   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Indians without a Schengen visa are not allowed to leave the airport, even if they have a visa for the USA or others. There were no transit visas given, transit visas are not required for the "others" - they simply stamp their way into France.
Once i was coming from US and got struck in Paris for 2 days due to strike by AF cabin staff.

They have given me a transit visa for 2 days and helped me out with a hotel in Paris (After waiting for 8 hours in the airport and talking to multiple people). Its possible to get transit visa in France. I can attached a copy of my passport page.

I strongly advise to avoid Air France as they are very arrogant, unhelpful, staff has tendency for strikes, etc.Every time i travel i make sure to mention to my travel agent to avoid AF even if it has best suitable timings and fare.

More over CDG airport is something i don't like.
Old 6th May 2010, 10:29   #219
Senior - BHPian

BUMP! Guys..... any responses to my LX vs SU query?
Old 6th May 2010, 12:53   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
BUMP! Guys..... any responses to my LX vs SU query?
I would choose LX if I was in your situation. In the recent times, most of the airlines are safe. And, if you are planning to go to EU, it's a better bet to fly into ZRH. Hope it solves the confusion.
Old 6th May 2010, 17:49   #221
Senior - BHPian

Folks,

I'm flying into Rome, Flying out of Prague. Or budapest max. Does that change things?

FWIW - SU connections are faster.

@A350 - Thanks!! You a pilot? or IT? That's an interesting nick/location pair!!
Old 6th May 2010, 20:20   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Folks,

I'm flying into Rome, Flying out of Prague. Or budapest max. Does that change things?

FWIW - SU connections are faster.
If you are flying in to Rome, you have the following connections, assuming you are flying from Delhi.

LX 147 01:15 DEL - 06:20 ZRH
LX 1726 07:25 ZRH - 08:55 FCO

SU 536 02:00 DEL - 07:00 SVO
SU 281 09:35 SVO - 11:20 FCO
(From a quick search)
I prefer transiting through ZRH, rather than SVO.

Quote:
@A350 - Thanks!! You a pilot? or IT? That's an interesting nick/location pair!!
Thanks. No, am not a pilot, just an aviation enthusiast. I write code of ECU's (Commercial vehicles) for a living. My spouse write code of FMS (Flight Management System)
Old 6th May 2010, 22:00   #223
Senior - BHPian

Thanks man. What I'm getting is the 1235 flight - the system itself doesn't want me to transit onto a schenegen flight in 1 hr 5 min
Old 6th May 2010, 22:11   #224
BHPian

In ZRH, it should not be a problem with 1h 5m. Don't know why they are not giving that option.
Old 7th May 2010, 17:15   #225
Senior - BHPian

Air Asia launched promotional base fare of rs 1 for mumbai-kul sector for traveling between 8th may to 8th aug 2010.
promotional fare is valid for booking made today i.e. 7th may 2010 upto 9:30 pm IST.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks