Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2015, 19:08   #16
BHPian

Re: Mumbai -> Hubli -> Jogfalls -> Murudeshwar -> Kollur -> Sringeri -> Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
@cyberwhizs

Typo in my previous message. I meant I would "NOT" suggest staying at Pune.
Thanks, i understood it that way only. I too wouldn't usually break at pune. Have driven mumbai - blr few time and mumbai - hospet in 14 -16 hours a few years ago. But now traveling with a child and dependent elders i need to make allowances to ensure they too enjoy the drive. One of my reasons to avoid twisty, ghat and bad roads to the extent possible and keep an open mind about better routes even if they are a bit longer. It is the interior two lane roads which worry me a bit more.

thanks. appreciate your inputs
Old 21st April 2015, 20:10   #17
BHPian

Quote:
@cyberwhizs

Typo in my previous message. I meant I would "NOT" suggest staying at Pune.

On Road conditions:

Mumbai-Pune : Expressway
Pune-Satara-Kolhapur : 4-lane but traffic. A bit rough around Satara.
Kolhapur-Belgaum-Hubli-Ranebennur: Brilliant 4-lane and low on traffic on the KA side
Ranebennur-Honnali-Shimoga : The only rough patch of the segment.

Shimoga-Tarikere-Chikkamagulur: Good decent SH.

Hotels:

- Sai International before Kolhapur bypass
- MAC on the Kolhapur bypass
- A slew of Vittal Kamats on the way till Sankeshwar
- A Slew of Kamats on the way (after Sankeshwar on KA side)
- Shimoga has Jewel Rock and Royal Orchid.

Chikkamgulur-Sringeri : CKM-Aldur-Balehonnur-Jayapura-Sringeri : Nice twisty roads surrounded by coffee estates. Its a beautiful spectacle.
Sringeri-Udupi : Sringeri-Bajagoli-Karkala-Udupi Good roads till Bajagoli and there its a OK.

For Return:

Udupi-Hebri-Someshwar-Agumbe-Thirthahalli-Shimoga-Honnali-Ranebennur-Hubli-Mumabi
Break options: Shimoga (Jewel Rock/Royal Orchid)
Hubli : Clarks Inn (Its a bit farther)
Hi Ampere

Seeking for your expert opinion on NH63 from Hubli to Ankola and NH17 upto Shiroor? As per google maps, the short and easier route from Hyd to Kollur is via Raichur, Sindhanur, Gangawathi, Gadag, Hubli, Ankola and Shiroor (Gangawati to Hubli should be good - I am guessing 4 lane?). I am staying at Wild Wood Spa and Resort near Shiroor before I head to Kollur temple the next day.

The reason I ask is your suggestion of route from Udupi to Mumbai seems via Shimoga rather than the route suggested by Google?

Last edited by Ashwinbr : 21st April 2015 at 20:12. Reason: Missed part of my query
Old 21st April 2015, 22:57   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashwinbr View Post
Hi Ampere

Seeking for your expert opinion on NH63 from Hubli to Ankola and NH17 upto Shiroor? As per google maps, the short and easier route from Hyd to Kollur is via Raichur, Sindhanur, Gangawathi, Gadag, Hubli, Ankola and Shiroor (Gangawati to Hubli should be good - I am guessing 4 lane?). I am staying at Wild Wood Spa and Resort near Shiroor before I head to Kollur temple the next day.

The reason I ask is your suggestion of route from Udupi to Mumbai seems via Shimoga rather than the route suggested by Google?
Hi,

Recently travelled on this route,
you need to take hubli Dharwad bypass and continue till Ankola. Road conditions are fab. Specially Kalghatgi-yellapur-Ankola, this stretch is the best of the lot. From Ankola till Mangalore road conditions are good. In few patches roads are broken and there are quite a many diversions but still it's very much drivable.

Also, can suggest you a lovely place for a food on this stretch. It's just 3.4 kms before Baleguli Cross. Name of the resto is 'Konkan Spice'. Fantastic food maintained restrooms and lovely owners.
me@fiat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2015, 23:41   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
As @me@fiat mentioned its good roads all the way from Hubli to Ankola and to Murdeshwar. Roads further down Bhatkal have been patched up. So do you plan to stay at Hubli on day one and then head to Shiroor on the next day ?
Old 22nd April 2015, 13:20   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by me@fiat View Post
Hi,

Recently travelled on this route,
you need to take hubli Dharwad bypass and continue till Ankola. Road conditions are fab. Specially Kalghatgi-yellapur-Ankola, this stretch is the best of the lot. From Ankola till Mangalore road conditions are good. In few patches roads are broken and there are quite a many diversions but still it's very much drivable.

Also, can suggest you a lovely place for a food on this stretch. It's just 3.4 kms before Baleguli Cross. Name of the resto is 'Konkan Spice'. Fantastic food maintained restrooms and lovely owners.
thanks mate. That for sure was really helpful. I am hoping there are enough signboards (while coming from Gadag) to route me through to the bypass. Also, I am not sure if I shall have the opportunity to try your suggested resto as, per my plan should be on this route late afternoon or early evening but will bear in mind though.

Quote:
As @me@fiat mentioned its good roads all the way from Hubli to Ankola and to Murdeshwar. Roads further down Bhatkal have been patched up. So do you plan to stay at Hubli on day one and then head to Shiroor on the next day ?
Thanks again ampere.
No, I dont plan to stay in Hubli. Instead I will be heading directly to Shiroor since I have booked my stay in Wild Wood Spa and Resort.
The plan is to leave Hyd at 3AM with a breakfast break at Gangavathi and lunch at Hubli and reach Shiroor before sunset as I dont want to be losing my way when it is dark. This is my first time to this resort and I am told that this resort is 6kms from NH17 (Shiroor checkpost).
Old 24th April 2015, 10:48   #21
BHPian

Quote:
thanks mate. That for sure was really helpful. I am hoping there are enough signboards (while coming from Gadag) to route me through to the bypass.
I guess In that case you wont encounter Dharwad bypass. You will hit Kalghatgi directly. It's a lovely road. I am still day dreaming about driving on that road once again. Thoroughly enjoyed Yellapur stretch!! Take my words, that resto could be the only saviour on that stretch. Also, forgot to write about good petrol bunk. The moment you take left from Baleguli Cross. In another 1.7Kms and there is big IOC bunk on your right. just next to Kamat.
Mumbai -> Hubli -> Jogfalls -> Murudeshwar -> Kollur -> Sringeri -> Udupi-capture.png
I am very much choosy when it comes to petrol bunks and This is one seems to be the biggest one on this stretch. hope this helps.
me@fiat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2015, 20:07   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by me@fiat View Post
I guess In that case you wont encounter Dharwad bypass. You will hit Kalghatgi directly. It's a lovely road. I am still day dreaming about driving on that road once again. Thoroughly enjoyed Yellapur stretch!! Take my words, that resto could be the only saviour on that stretch. Also, forgot to write about good petrol bunk. The moment you take left from Baleguli Cross. In another 1.7Kms and there is big IOC bunk on your right. just next to Kamat.
Attachment 1363882
I am very much choosy when it comes to petrol bunks and This is one seems to be the biggest one on this stretch. hope this helps.
me@fiat - Thanks much for your update. I did this route on the 25th of April and the roads were just as you mentioned (excellent all the way to Ankola post which NH17 was driveable and not as bad as I'd expected.
BTW I ensured I ate at Konkan Spice (slipped my planned lunch break at Hubli instead survived on some fruits just to eat there). Excellent food at a very reasonable price.

Also I stayed at the Wild Wood Spa and Resort in Shiroor. The decision to stay here was truly based on reviews on Trip Advisor and some other sites. Just two words to say 'Simply Superb'. I am no way related to these owners but thought I could just pass the word on.
Old 29th April 2015, 23:28   #23
BHPian

This query does not involve Mumbai, but covers many places mentioned in the topic. So I'm posting it here.
Anyway, we're going on a trip after 3 years and excited
Will be going in a taxi.

Here is the trip plan,

Bengaluru -> Shivamogga -> Narasimharajapura -> Sringeri -> Agumbe -> Kollur -> Murudeshwara -> Gokarna -> Bengaluru.

The trip will be stretched over 3 days.

Google shows the following route,
https://goo.gl/maps/TZIN2

My father has spondylitis, so bad roads are a strict no.
Decent roads are okay. Since it is a per km cab, don't want to take too big of a detour.

Considering all this, please check the google map link above and provide your suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
Old 29th April 2015, 23:53   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
Considering all this, please check the google map link above and provide your suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
Here is the updated route: Modified Route

Use Bhadravathi-bypass - NR Pura - Koppa. Thats a much better route. This avoids Shimoga and also Thirthahalli. (I presume your first intended destination is Sringeri.)

Last edited by ampere : 29th April 2015 at 23:55.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2015, 13:54   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Here is the updated route:

Use Bhadravathi-bypass - NR Pura - Koppa. Thats a much better route. This avoids Shimoga and also Thirthahalli. (I presume your first intended destination is Sringeri.)
Thanks for the suggestion ampere.
Our first intended destination is near NR Pura.
But we have plans to have lunch at Shimoga.

A few queries,
1. How is the condition of Shimoga - NR Pura road?
2. If it is bad, is there any good vegetarian eatery around Bhadravathi for lunch?
3. I see, in the return route you have modified it to go through Hubballi. Is the Yellapur - Bankapur road in bad condition?

Last edited by theredliner : 30th April 2015 at 13:56. Reason: Quote Added
Old 30th April 2015, 13:58   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1. How is the condition of Shimoga - NR Pura road?
No idea about Shimoga-Umblibalu. Beyond that its good all the way. I think it should not be that bad in the first section too.

Quote:
3. I see, in the return route you have modified it to go through Hubballi. Is the Yellapur - Bankapur road in bad condition?
You dont save any time by taking the Bankapur road. Its also rough at places and narrow. Going via Hubli is smoother and it takes the same time.
Old 30th April 2015, 16:19   #27
BHPian

Quote:
No idea about Shimoga-Umblibalu. Beyond that its good all the way. I think it should not be that bad in the first section too.
You dont save any time by taking the Bankapur road. Its also rough at places and narrow. Going via Hubli is smoother and it takes the same time.
Thanks. Last query.
For Shimoga to NR Pura,
Google is showing Shimoga -> Gajanur -> Muduba -> NR Pura.

But there is one more route that is Shimoga -> Umblibail -> Muttinakoppa -> NR Pura. That seems to be the route you are mentioning.

Which one would you recommend?
Old 30th April 2015, 17:25   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks. Last query.
For Shimoga to NR Pura,
Google is showing Shimoga -> Gajanur -> Muduba -> NR Pura.

But there is one more route that is Shimoga -> Umblibail -> Muttinakoppa -> NR Pura. That seems to be the route you are mentioning.

Which one would you recommend?
You can take the first route too. In that case you head on NH13 towards Thirthahalli. You drive till Mandagadde and cross the river here. There you can go ahead meet the SH65 which will take you further to NR Pura.
Old 11th May 2015, 23:35   #29
BHPian

Thanks Ampere for the guidance. The trip went well. However, due to time constraints, we had to skip Gokarna, which modified the return route a bit.
Anyway, here are the roads we took and their condition.

Bengaluru - Shivamogga (NH4 + NH206) (Took this route as the cabbie suggested avoiding high toll on NH48) - No problems other than traffic as usual.

Shivamogga - Umblibailu - NR Pura -> Beautiful road in great condition.

NR Pura - Sringeri -> Same as above.

Sringeri - Agumbe - Kollur -> Great other than the rough patch around Agumbe ghat.
The road towards Kollur after the deviation is just awesome. Pure, smooth asphalt with curves and forests thrown in = heaven. Too bad I was not behind the wheel

Kollur - Byndoor -> Great roads again.

Byndoor - Murudeshwara -> Rough road with work going on. Oncoming traffic (esp. trucks and private buses) kills you with high beams. Worst road in the trip till now.

Murudeshwara - Honnavara -> Same NH 17. But diversions seemed lesser than the previous stretch (Not sure as I was dozing on and off).

Honnavara - Shivamogga -> Nice forest road. Traffic was less as it was afternoon. Sagara - Shivamogga stretch is great.

Shivamogga - Chitradurga -> The only bad stretch other than NH17 encountered in the entire trip. Road is rough barring around 20-30%, and it is very narrow, esp. considering that it is a National Highway. The widening work seems to have ruined it.
Heavy rains + diversions made the stretch near Chitradurga very difficult. I think this road can take over the title given to NH17 a couple of paragraphs above.

Chitradurga - Tumkur -> Nice 6 lane highway, with truckers hogging all the lanes.

Tumkur - Bengaluru -> Same 4 laned NH4 as usual. It was around midnight, so the traffic was less.

Was surprised to see the quality of roads in the Ghats. I missed being behind the wheel very badly.

Last edited by theredliner : 11th May 2015 at 23:43.
theredliner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2015, 20:27   #30

Hi, I am planning to drive from Navsari Gujarat to Udupi during third week of August. I will be using NH4 till Dharwad, then NH63 till Ankola and NH17 from ankola to Udupi. I want to know the road condition of the notorious NH17. Is is drivable in a Grand i10?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks