Team-BHP - Trip to Ooty from Blr - Is Zen powerful enough for 4 people?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Trip to Ooty from Blr - Is Zen powerful enough for 4 people? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/65065-trip-ooty-blr-zen-powerful-enough-4-people.html)

Hi Friends,

Would like to know if anyone has travelled in a Zen (mpfi engine and not the Zen Estilo but the one before that) from Bangalore to Ooty with around 4 people (say 320Kgs total including luggage)?

Can the Zen take that much load ?

(I've travelled with my wife on mountaneous roads often and with ease in the Zen. The total passenger weight has been not more than 150 Kg max).

Appreciate your inputs - incase if this would be too much load to negotiate the 36 hair-pin bends (with 4 people) going via the Masinagudi route I may consider renting a bigger car but that would be an expensive option.

Thanks.

If a 1996 model M-800 could do this: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...er-2000-a.html with 3 adults and a child + luggage on board, your Zen should be able to do the trip you plan like a Sunday walk in the park!

Do the trip, take lots of pics, and post your travel experience back on this thread. Looking forward to it.

hmm.. lets see.

1. Are you confident?
2. Serviced the car recently? any issues that was not handled?
3. Tyre condition?
4. Brakes- how recently have you changed/cleaned the brakes, the reason I ask is cause when coming back via the HP bends in a mpfi Zen carryin 5 people, we were stopped half way by forest officials and asked to stop for some time- reason... my hub caps had melted due to the heat.

Suggestions

- keep load to a minimum, this car is low on GC and I'm sure you are aware of the issues that come with this.
- Don't push it if you are not comfortable in the first place

My reply would have been similar to SS-Traveller's:D

My 1997 Carb M-800 which had clocked 75000 kms, did an adventurous 1275 kms with 5 adults and 1 kid in it, along the complete coastal Karnataka, including, Shiradi Ghats, Kollur, Kudremukh, and Kemmangundi and other places, why not an mpfi Zen.

Buddy, go ahead, if your cars engine is hale and healthy, you'll be able to do it without a trouble

I did bangalore - ooty last year with 5 of us in my 800! It was (obviously) a little congested inside the car but there were no major issues. But be wary of those speed breakers though(inside the city and a few on mysore road). With 4 people inside the car, it might just scrape through. My 800 did :(

It def can. We've taken our 97 carb Zen to Ooty/Annamalai hills and faced no issues. It'l be a breeze for an mpfi engined Zen.

Shan2nu

@SamuraiJack - you are right about getting the car checked before such a journey.
However, your point about brakes: do I read that you used brakes extensively to come downhill? If yes, then there is a problem. Elsewhere in this forum, the gurus have elaborated that one must use engine-braking to reduce strain on the brakes. I have tried this and it works like a charm; and no smoking brake pads! Of course the brakes and tyres must be checked before such a journey. Also the coolant and other fluid levels must be checked.
In terms of pullling power, the zen has enough of it.

It will take it easily. I did take it with 5 adults and luggage to Wayanad through the Gudalur. I also took it to the Soochipara falls etc with same load. I did not had any issue. Forget you have a zen and enjoy your trip :)

Not a thing to worry. I have taken my MPFI zen many times to Ooty. All breeze, no worries. Just check your brake condition.

It depends on owners confidence.

Believe me, last year we went to Madikeri on a 1998 Carb Zen running on LPG with full 4 adults. We never felt its underpowered, it just took us to tip of all view points :).

You should have an idea on the road clearance with full load, thats it. Else the underbody would be scrapped in many speedbreakers and especially the Gundalpet - Bandipur stretch.

All the best, have a wonderful trip :thumbs up

Pretty surprising question. If you ask me even a M800 can do that climb. The only difference is which gear you will be using the most. If its 3rd/2nd gear in a Zen then probably you will be using 1st/2nd in a M800 for the climb section.

Don't think twice go ahead in your Zen. Just ensure proper service of the car and tyre pressure is checked before embarking on this journey.

Piece of cake for an MPFi zen I'd say. Go for it and click some nice pictures on the way :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by prince_pervez (Post 1472968)
Piece of cake for an MPFi zen I'd say. Go for it and click some nice pictures on the way :)

+1. Being an ex-owner of the MPFI Zen, there's no reason for it not to do it, provided its in proper condition. My zen had been through worse.

If the car is maintained properly, it won't be tough on the car. If you are confident to make it, car will too.

When my 98 model M800 can do it, MPFi will definitely do the ghats smoothly. Ensure you be on lower gears just on time. Also remember, while down the hill you need to be on the same gears which you used while climbing up the hill.

Happy journey..