Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2009, 12:04   #1
BHPian

Short Visit to Chennai(1st Visit):Please suggest Hotel/Lodge and Things to Do

Hello all you wonderful people!

I am visiting Chennai for the first time on 19 September 09, Saturday for a meetup (Chip).

Arriving by bus at Chennai (CMBT) at 6:30 AM.
Leaving Chennai same day at 10:30 PM.

The meetup is at 3:00 PM near Radhakrishna Salai. After that, we may go for some 'beverages' (around 7:00 PM).

So kindly suggest:

1. Are there any lodges hotels which are clean and will cost less than Rs.300? I just want to check-in, refresh myself and check-out. Wont be staying for more than four hours.

2. I may chuck the lodge plan if I can visit any place (touristy stuff) between 8:00 AM to 2:00 PM. So what are the places to see things to do in Chennai?

3. Any good place for 'beverages-for-adults'? I have heard about Bike & Barrel, The Leather B*r etc. But I would like a place where prices are decent and food is tasty. Decent Prices = Rs.50-100 for mug. Rs.300-500 for pitch*r.

4. What is the best option to travel from CMBT to Radhakrishna Salai. And if I have to catch 10:30 PM bus from CMBT, what time should I leave Radhakrishna Salai?

Thanks so much and a photologue coming soon.

(In another thread, I had mentioned I will post a photologue of my campfire trip. But most of the photos depict liquor and hence I cant post. But Chennai Photologue for sure!)
Old 14th September 2009, 13:50   #2
BHPian

bump

Guys, anyone with info? Please reply.
Old 14th September 2009, 14:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

You might find some cheap hotels around the CMBT area, I am not sure if they will be that cheap though. Cheaper ones can be found near Central or Egmore. R.K. Salai is about 12 km from CMBT, so keep 1 hour as the travelling time. I am not sure you can find anything to drink for the rates quoted by you in the places mentioned. This is not bangalore. Welcome to Chennai.

About places to hang out; If you are the one to like the lights, vist the spencer plaza. Or if you are someone who likes the outdoors, visit the Elliots Beach. If you are the one that likes the rides, there are plenty along the east coast road. If you like marine life, visit the marine aquarium at foreshore estate
Old 14th September 2009, 14:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

Ashwin, its better you take the morning bus to Chennai meetup your friend and have your beverages and take a night bus to Bangalore.
Old 14th September 2009, 15:40   #5
BHPian

@esteem_lover, Thanks! I will check out for hotels around Chennai Central. If I can find a hotel, then I will refresh myself, and visit the aquarium you mentioned (if its really good) or just visit Elliots beach. Beverages, in Oberoi Bangalore, a pitch**r is Rs.650 (I guess). If its costlier in Chennai even at decent places, then Waaaa?

@gowda79 I did search extensively for 19 morning train. All of them booked and WL of 20 or more. Buses none of them reach before 4 or 5 PM. So had to book previous night bus.
Old 14th September 2009, 16:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

I don't think you will find places for Rs 300 anywhere in India nowadays. I think there is a waiting room with bath facilities in CMBT, check it out. The beaches during day time will be very hot, and you are coming from cool Bangalore. So beware!

Last edited by Gansan : 14th September 2009 at 16:04.
Old 16th September 2009, 10:37   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinsid View Post
@esteem_lover, Thanks! I will check out for hotels around Chennai Central. If I can find a hotel, then I will refresh myself, and visit the aquarium you mentioned (if its really good) or just visit Elliots beach. Beverages, in Oberoi Bangalore, a pitch**r is Rs.650 (I guess). If its costlier in Chennai even at decent places, then Waaaa?
Should be around the same, I guess, but surely not 50-100 for a mug anywhere in chennai. About places to visit, if you like reptiles, there are plenty of them in the Guindy Children's park & at the Crocodile Park on ECR.
Old 22nd January 2010, 09:41   #8
BHPian

Guys bumping this thread for some information. Need some info regarding budget hotels near Guindy, Chennai. Anywhere near Anna university will be good. Budget about 1000 to 1500 rupees. Need info soon, as my brother will be leaving by today afternoon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks