Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2009, 14:49   #1
BHPian

Dehradun and Uttaranchal Trip. Pls Help.

Mates, Me from chennai.

I am traveling to Delhi to attend some business. And I am taking the much needed break from my work for about a week. The last of the meetings would be on 26th morning i.e. Monday at Delhi. I have booked tickets for myself and my friend from Delhi to Dehradun on monday afternoon. I will be in Dehradun on monday night i.e 26th of this month. I have booked the flight out of Delhi on 2nd of November. This gives me 7 days time.

So I have a weeks time. I have no idea as to where to go and stay. I have planned to take it nice and easy. Ppl who have visited these places, pls help me out.

All sorts of information would be helpful. Places of interest, best time of visit, hotels for accommodation, food, distance and time taken to travel. Remember, I am traveling one a shoe string budget, so no star rated stuff.

Pls help me out mates.
Old 6th October 2009, 15:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

From Dehra Dun, you can visit Musoorie and Dhanaulti. The 2 places are good for stay of at least 3 days. Try GMVN hotels in both places, they are good. Musoorie is 30-60 minutes from Dehra Dun and Dhanaulti is also another 30-60 minutes from Musoorie. From Dhanaulti, you can go further on a day's excursion to Surkhanda Devi and Tehri Dam.

If you are very ambitious, you can plan a 2/3-day drive from Musoorie to either Gangotri or Yamunotri, although I am unsure if the place will be open as late as November - closes sometime in October.

You can take shared cab from Dehradun to Musoorie.
Old 6th October 2009, 16:09   #3
BHPian

You can spend half a day at Haridwar and Rishikesh. Not very far from Dehradun about an hours drive or so. Also if time permits, there is a night train from Dehradun everyday which goes to Nainital (actually nearest station to Nainital not exactly Nainital). You can spend two days at Nainital. Lovely place to visit during this time of the year. The you can plan your return journey to Delhi from Nainital.
Old 6th October 2009, 16:20   #4
BHPian

I was there in Rishikesh and Nainital last week. Since Dehradun is not very far away from Rishikesh, suggest you take a day doing white water rafting off Rishikesh if you fancy adventure sports. You can start the rafting from Shivpuri till Rishikesh.

You can also spend some relaxing time / stay at the camps along the Ganges. There are quite a few of them in Rishikesh, but I think the best is Camp 5 Element (Camp 5 Elements In Rishikesh,Water Rafting In Rishikesh,Camp 5 Elements kaudiyala,Water Rafting In India).

Nainital is about 6 hours drive from Rishikesh and there are quite a few sight seeing places there as well. You can also indulge in ParaGliding in Nainital.

Last edited by Ardy : 6th October 2009 at 16:21.
Old 6th October 2009, 16:37   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archish View Post
Mates, Me from chennai.

I am traveling to Delhi to attend some business. And I am taking the much needed break from my work for about a week. The last of the meetings would be on 26th morning i.e. Monday at Delhi. I have booked tickets for myself and my friend from Delhi to Dehradun on monday afternoon. I will be in Dehradun on monday night i.e 26th of this month. I have booked the flight out of Delhi on 2nd of November. This gives me 7 days time.

So I have a weeks time. I have no idea as to where to go and stay. I have planned to take it nice and easy. Ppl who have visited these places, pls help me out.

All sorts of information would be helpful. Places of interest, best time of visit, hotels for accommodation, food, distance and time taken to travel. Remember, I am traveling one a shoe string budget, so no star rated stuff.

Pls help me out mates.

As HVK has pointed out, GMVN hotels are a good option. The GMVN hotel at the Mall in Mussoorie has a great glass covered restaraunt and bar. It is a great place to relax with a mug of beer/ book in the afternoon.You can book online at their website using a credit card. It is always a good idea to have an advance booking as most of these hotels have limited accomodation.

Since you have a week's time ,I would recommend, that as suggested by Aryashiv, you either combine it with a trip to Nainital or Shimla. I personally prefer Nainital to Dehradun/ Mussoorie.

Dehradun is a small place and 2-3 days is all it is worth. In case you decide not to go to Nainital/ Shimla, you can spend a day in Chakrata ( if you have a car)

It would be a good idea to go trekking as the city is fairly small and it gets boring after some time.

Be sure to try out the goodies at Ellora Bakery. I especially like the plum cakes available here.
Old 6th October 2009, 19:25   #6
BHPian

Dear Archish,

You can spend max 2 - 3 days in Dehradun,

The plan is recomended that while you are in Dehradun go visit

1. FRI- Forest Research Institute- The place is very good if you are inclined to see what all development FRI department is doing for forest work & also they have a museum & a Zoo Inside FRI.
2. Do visit Elora - Melting Moment in Rajpur Road which leads to Mussorie.This place is worth if you are fond of Pudding & Bakery especiality.
3. Visit & enjoy - Kulfi at Platan bazaar chock known as Ghataghar- Shop is known as Kumar
4. Have Bengali sweet opposite Ghata Ghar.
5. You can also visit tibetan market near rajpur road dehradun you can get some good goods.
6. it is advisable to visit Rajpur Road petrol pump small music shop but he has very good Music collection of Dj & p...
7. Roam around in Platan bazzar
8. you can also visit place near Dehradun -PM Me your number i can help you out to make a plan.
9.There are places which are close to Dehradun like Mussorie,Dhanotly & espectially chamba which is worth going most of the people don'y know abt Uttranchal Chamba & people misunderstand with Himachal one.
Chamba is worth going if you looking out from complete peace & also Ananda in the Himalyas is worth going place in Narender Nagar close to dehradun.

Do let me know if you are looking out from more information.

Thanks
Old 6th October 2009, 19:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...rishikesh.html

jao aur masti karo
Old 6th October 2009, 19:37   #8
BHPian

Thanks mates. I would like more inputs. I m not planning to stay put in Dehradun. I just took the train ticket just for the heck of it. Thats all. I m all out to travel. But i would like to relax and travel. All my business travels are Slam Bang and GO types. So, I would like to spend sometime in places which i go.

One place that I remember very distinctly is a place called Okimuth or Ukimut. It was simply a mind blowing place. We stayed in a wooden log house in the banks of the river Mandakini. We were on the way to Kedar, we reached this place late in the evening and left early next morning. I m thinking if I can go to this place again.
Old 6th October 2009, 20:42   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archish View Post
One place that I remember very distinctly is a place called Okimuth or Ukimut. It was simply a mind blowing place. We stayed in a wooden log house in the banks of the river Mandakini. We were on the way to Kedar, we reached this place late in the evening and left early next morning. I m thinking if I can go to this place again.
UKhimath is on the road between Rudraprayag and Kedarnath. It is 260 kms from Musoorie via Dhanaulti, Chamba, Tehri and Tilwara.
Old 13th October 2009, 18:17   #10
BHPian

Pls help me with places to stay. In Dehradun.
Old 13th October 2009, 18:29   #11
BHPian

There are 100s of hotels in Dehradun for every budget. As this is lean season, so you will find plenty of available rooms. Bargain hard to get a good deal. Try Garhwal Mandal Vikas Nigam hotels or guest houses. They should be good. You can contact them on

GM (Tourism),
Garhwal Mandal Vikas Nigam Ltd.,
74/1, Rajpur Road, Dehradun-248001.
Ph.: 91-135-2740896, 2746817, 2749308, 2748478
Fax: 91-135-2746847
Email: gmvn@gmvnl.com, gmvn@sancharnet.in
Old 23rd May 2012, 16:55   #12
BHPian

Mussorie or Nainital?

Hi,

I'd be visiting Badrinath in Oct 2nd week. Would be visiting Auli, Rishikesh and Haridwar too. I have two days (flying to Delhi from BLR and hiring a Xylo/Scorpio from Haridwar) that I could not decide amongst Mussorie and Nainital. Can Team-BHPians let me know what activities can be done in October and places to see in these two hill stations please and help me take a call. Also, I'd love to know if there is a good "off-the-beaten-path" type place b/w Haridwar and Badrinath. We are two families with kids, so do not plan
to do any adventure, short treks are fine though.

I'll surely comeback with more questions on the overall plan.

Prasad14
Old 23rd May 2012, 19:06   #13
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mussorie or Nainital?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
Hi,

I'd be visiting Badrinath in Oct 2nd week. Would be visiting Auli, Rishikesh and Haridwar too. I have two days (flying to Delhi from BLR and hiring a Xylo/Scorpio from Haridwar) that I could not decide amongst Mussorie and Nainital. Can Team-BHPians let me know what activities can be done in October and places to see in these two hill stations please and help me take a call. Also, I'd love to know if there is a good "off-the-beaten-path" type place b/w Haridwar and Badrinath. We are two families with kids, so do not plan
to do any adventure, short treks are fine though.

I'll surely comeback with more questions on the overall plan.

Prasad14
If you are going to hire the vehicle from Hardwar, then it makes sense to visit Musoorie which is close to Hardwar instead of Nainital which is in Kumaon region and will mean that the vehicle has to come back to Hardwar a long way.

Off beat destination - nowadays, there are so few!

Maybe you could take a short trek to Tunganath, which is between Badrinath & Ukhimath.

Or you could simply drop in at Landsdowne which is off the Rudraprayag-Deoprayag road.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks