Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2009, 15:50   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
magiceye,

Use the Siddapura route from Madikeri and not the main Madikeri-Kushalnagar route which currently, is a Martian landscape.

You will have to use the Mysore Road to get to Bangalore from Coorg. I dont how how NH48 comes into the picture here. NH48 is the infamous Bangalore-Mangalore road.
4 years back (seems like pre-historic times), we had driven to Coorg via NH48. We went till Chanarayapatna. From one needs to go to Holenarsipur and come to Kushalnagar via Ramnathpura.

Meanwhile due to bad roads, we totally got lost from Holenarsipur, and some how were able to make it to the Hunsur road. From here we went to Kushalnagar. 2 Years later when I went again, I went via Mysore/Hunsur and it was a breeze.

Moral of the story: NH48 figure does not figure in the "Coorgi" scheme of things , if one wants to go to Madekeri.
Totally Agree withMag.

Last edited by ampere : 17th November 2009 at 15:52.
Old 9th December 2009, 06:36   #17
BHPian

Coorg in December???

How is Coorg as a holiday destination in December - any advice (family with 2 kids, 1yr and 5yrs old).

Appreciate any advice - good places to stay, where to go, etc.

Thanks
Old 9th December 2009, 08:02   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Its going to be frigid. Ideal if your main agenda is to relax indoors with a drink.
Old 9th December 2009, 11:17   #19
Senior - BHPian

Well winter has set in. Expect it to be cold but a nice season for a visit. Try out some homestays in the area you intend on residing.

Would suggest staying near madikeri
Old 9th December 2009, 20:53   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogambo View Post
How is Coorg as a holiday destination in December - any advice (family with 2 kids, 1yr and 5yrs old).

Appreciate any advice - good places to stay, where to go, etc.

Thanks
Its a nice place to be at during this month. The days are nice and pleasant while nights are cold and best spent around warm bonfire's. You will find lots of places to stay, but I suggest you stay at some nice homestay/estate close to madikeri town.
Old 20th February 2010, 01:58   #21
BHPian

I am planning to visit Coorg next weekend. Only me and wifey will be traveling.
  • Will it be too hot like here in Bangalore?
  • Can somebody suggest a good homestay/estate for accommodation (Budget is max 2000 per night)? We prefer serene and quiet places outside crowded city areas.
  • I read somewhere else that Shortcut via Ranganathittu is not good (around KRS dam) and should take the Mysore ring road till Hansur.
Please let me know.
Old 20th February 2010, 06:18   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
  • Can somebody suggest a good homestay/estate for accommodation (Budget is max 2000 per night)? We prefer serene and quiet places outside crowded city areas.
  • I read somewhere else that Shortcut via Ranganathittu is not good (around KRS dam) and should take the Mysore ring road till Hansur.
Please let me know.

Not sure how is it now? I had done it quite some time back. It was decent then. Mysore RR is also a good choice, as there is less traffic on this stretch.
Old 20th February 2010, 10:18   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

- It will be hot but not as hot as Bangalore is right now and the evenings and nights are markedly cooler.

- Check out BHPian princezahed's homestay for starters ! There are a lot of threads here with reports of similar homestays in and around Coorg

- You can take the shortcut via Ranganthittu, only a few short stretches are not good but they are still very motorable and can save you quite a bit of time and distance instead of taking the ring road.
My replies are in the quote above after your queries !

Last edited by kannan666 : 20th February 2010 at 10:21.
Old 23rd February 2010, 17:59   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Please let me know.
We travelled to Coorg last weekend via Bangalore-Mysore (Ring Road)-SH88 to Kushalnagar-Madikeri.

Roads around Kushalnagar are bad. Seems like the main road connecting Coorg to Kushalnagar is closed. You need to take diversions.

We went through the Dubare side (not the route going to Jungle lodge, but the one going through coffee plantation after Kushalnagar). This route is longer, but more scenic, and is in better condition. While coming back, we took the shorter route which is not in great shape.

We stayed at Alpen Glow. Decent homestay, nothing great. Parking is at a steep incline. If you are staying there, please have your dinner before you reach there. The only option to have dinner there is the 300/- buffet at Coorg international.

Overall a good experience. Road till Bylakuppe is in excellent shape other than two places where road work is going on.

If you take the Mysore ring road, it will be 4 kms extra compared to the other route. But the road is good and not much of traffic. I would take that if I go to Madikeri again.

If you are going to Abby falls, there seems to be another road which connects to the Kushalnagar road. So you do not need to travel through the town if you are returning from Abby falls. However we did not take this road.

In some places the roads are narrow and broken with steep incline, so please plan accordingly.
Old 24th February 2010, 09:36   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Please let me know.
Right now days are hot but evenings are cool. You could avoid the shortcut since the road condition is getting bad day by day. Take the mysore ring road. I can help you out with accommodation if needed. You could call me on 9342058884.

Regards,
Zahed

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks