Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2009, 14:22   #16
BHPian

@neeraj_125: Hey, I would personally not really recommend Villa Retreat. I think Kodai International/Carlton offers much better amenities & service for similar price range. I was charged around 2.5K per night for 2 persons, no food or sightseeing included. Not even breakfast. These guys charge a premium just because it is located on Coaker's walk, and there is a valley view. Predictably, the place has mostly firangis staying. For us Indians, paisa-vasool & value-for-money is more important . You can see my travelogue posted here.

@gopikb: The scenic part is between Palani & Kodai. Rest of the roads dont have much to see. I guess even the Batlagundu to Kodai stretch should be scenic. Considering this, I think we could definitely try the Salem-Dindigul route. On the way back, I was kind of guessing that the Salem route must be better, since the roads were 4 laned. But I stuck to the TBHP route.

Last edited by floyd : 7th December 2009 at 14:33.
Old 7th December 2009, 15:20   #17
BHPian

Hi floyd, Thanks for your advise here. I was planning to visit the Palani temple enroute to Kodai which was one of the motivation is driving the Mettur - Palani route to kodai. Now I am reworking the strategy to drive upto Vedasandur in 4-lane and take a right at NH207 to Palani. Let me see how it works.

By the way, I need your advise on the Palani temple visit. How crowded was the temple and is it ok if I assume just 2 hours for the complete darshan. I know it depends a lot on the day and festivals. I am planning to visit on 24th Dec which is a working day and hence I guess the crowd should be normal.
Old 19th September 2010, 22:53   #18
BHPian

Hi,

I am planning a trip to Kodaikanal (from Bangalore) sometime in October. I would like to know whether it is a good time to visit there, will it be too cold? How are the road conditions? I am planning to do the Hosur-Salem-Dharapuram-Palani route as it seems the shortest route.

thanks,
Mohan.
Old 20th September 2010, 00:18   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
Hi,

I am planning a trip to Kodaikanal (from Bangalore) sometime in October. I would like to know whether it is a good time to visit there, will it be too cold? How are the road conditions? I am planning to do the Hosur-Salem-Dharapuram-Palani route as it seems the shortest route.

thanks,
Mohan.
If you are used to Bangalore weather, it should be fine. Dont take the Palani route. Drive on NH7 till Dindigul and then divert to Batlagundu.
Its much easier to do it that way

Last edited by ampere : 20th September 2010 at 00:19.
Old 20th September 2010, 09:20   #20
Senior - BHPian

My colleague just came back from Kodai yesterday night. The weather is very pleasant, not too cold is what he says. October should remain more or less the same and hopefully, shouldnt be raining that time.

Agree with Ampere - dont take the Palani route. Dindigul-Vathlagundu-Kodai is a better road.
Old 20th September 2010, 10:39   #21
Senior - BHPian

My brother did Bangalore - Dindigul in about 5 1/2 hours with very decent speeds with no stress, and the road condition from then on to Kodai is also good.
Old 20th September 2010, 15:16   #22
BHPian

The Dindigul route will be atleast about 50km longer than the Palani route if you are traveling from Bangalore. Plus the roads, though 2 laned, are pretty decent throughout the Perundurai-Kangeyam-Dharapuram-Palani stretch. And Palani-Kodaikanal is newly laid after last year's monsoon and excellent.
Old 20th September 2010, 22:19   #23
BHPian

Thank you guys for your inputs. Can you also suggest some good hotels along NH7 for lunch/breakfast?
Old 21st September 2010, 07:50   #24
Team-BHP Support

Before Krishnagiri, a host of hotels of your side of the highway, while going towards Salem. A2B. Kamat, Coffee Day Meenakshi Bhavan etc.
Just that you may hit them too soon. Only CCD is 24X7.

Near Thoppur on the opposite side of the road is A2B. (This is before the Mettur road crossing).

At Salem you have to get into the city to get a hotel. Close to the bus stand there is Sarava Bhavan (Not the famous one.
This is different one. No parking though. You need to park in front of the hotel)

Beyond Salem not much on the Highway all the way till Dindigul. Not aware of the recent status.
Old 21st September 2010, 09:44   #25
BHPian

@ampere has listed down all options available till Salem -

At Salem, you have one hotel in the circle that comes after NH47 (Palakkad) turn-off/ramp. It's on the right hand side on hitting the circle. Decent food. This is the place where I have seen so many KA registration cars parked.

After Salem - next option is Vattalgundu. Once you enter the town, there is a signal and you need to take right towards Kodai/Theni. Just some 50 meters ahead, you have one Saravana Bhavan on the right side. Keep watching closely or you may miss it. It's a small hotel with limited parking space in front. Had breakfast there last saturday. Quality is ok. Restrooms - not very neat.

I started @ 4:30 last saturday from BLR and reached Vattalgundu at 9:30am. On return, started from Vattalgundu at 6:30pm and reached Marathahalli at 12:00 midnight. Kodai turn-off is around 5 Kms from Vattalgundu town towards right.
Old 21st September 2010, 10:39   #26
BHPian

I had done Bangalore Kodai last month(I know a travelogue is still pending!!!). I could this entire stretch in 8 hours stretch door to door. Take the NH7 till Dindigul and then onto Batlangudu and a right that leads to Ghat roads. Roads are good all the way till Kodai. As ampere said, there are limited options after salem till Dindigul. Except the speed thrills, there is really nothing to see or experience on NH7.
Old 22nd September 2010, 21:45   #27
BHPian

I'd also suggest the Bangalore-Salem-Dindigul-Vatalagundu(batalgundu)-Kodaikkanal route.

I did a Bangalore--Ooty--Kodai trip recently and did many trips on Bangalore -Madurai stretch.

Detailed travalogue :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...oon-rains.html

Its very smooth road and it is always safe to go through good highway than going through short cuts. On long journeys the facilities NHs provide,won't be available everywhere.

As the roads are in good condition, a 5 hour journey will take you to Dindigul.
Old 16th October 2010, 11:40   #28
BHPian

Thanks to your inputs again. I took the Dindigul route from Bangalore to Kodai last weekend. It was indeed very convenient and I didnt feel tired. I reached Dindigul in 6 hours and then it took nearly 1 hour 45 min to reach Kodai from there. Total toll paid along the NH7 is about Rs.250 (one way), which i think is really worth it. I will try to post a detailed travelogue soon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks