Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2009, 11:20   #1
BHPian

Bangalore - Madurai - Rameshwaram - Kanyakumari - Kerala - Bangalore

Hi All,

I am planning for a Bangalore - Madurai - Rameshwaram - Kanyakumari - Kerala - Bangalore trip from 26th Dec to 1st Jan. It would really help if I could get any inputs from your experience:

- What is the best route from Kanyakumari to Bangalore through Kerala - I would like to visit as many good places as possible (not deviating too much). Some must visit - Guruvayoor, Thekkady and Munnar, heard there is a very beautiful "niagara" kind of waterfalls
- Do I need to book for accomodation in all places in advance?
- Suggestions for accomodation which is not too exp (b/w Rs. 500 - Rs. 800 per night)
- Rough plan based on your experience for the 7 days I have for this trip
- Driving Scorpio (2003 Glx). Bought this abt 8 mnts back. Anything specific I need to take care before the long drive? Have got it checked in general
- Any other Do's and Dont's

Thanks in advance!
Old 6th December 2009, 13:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

Route plan would be:
Bangalore-Hosur-Salem-Namakkal-Karur-Dindigul-Madurai-Tirunelveli-Kanyakumari
Kanyakumari-Trivandrum-Changanaserry-Thekkady-Munnar-Perumbavur-Angamali-Chalakudy-Athirapalli-Chalakudy-Trissur-Guruvayur-Shoranur-Pattambi-Nilambur-Gudlaur-Mudumalai-Bandipur-Gundulpet-Mysore-Bangalore

Day 1 end could by Madurai
Day 2 could be Trivandrum via Kanyakumari
Day 3 could be Thekkady
Day 4/5 could be Munnar
Day 6 could be Guruvayur
Day 7 could be Bangalore

Please bear in mind that thanks to Christmas and the Sabarimala pilgrim season, traffic will be high.

Hotels are likely to be full - also thanks to the foreign tourist peak season.

You are unlikely to get any decent hotels in any of the places for the prices indicated by you - Kerala is an expensive place.
Old 6th December 2009, 15:52   #3
BHPian

Thanks, hvkumar. Had not thought about Sabarimala piligrim season! I will have to plan in advance for accomodation in that case.
Old 6th December 2009, 18:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Route plan would be:
Madurai-Tirunelveli
Part of my travel route today. Roads were fantastic with couple of diversions to the opposite side extending couple of kms. VERY VERY CAREFUL of people driving on wrong side of the road. Since visibility is better due to straight roads, you can spot them early to move to your extreme left.
Old 9th December 2009, 00:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hi Nagesh,

Just I am back from Rameswaram. The Road condition from Madurai to rameswaram is that some places it is good as well as some places it is bad. Of course it is around 172 Kms. I started at 9 am from Madurai reahing Before Ramnad it was around 12 Noon. So turned the car to a on the way temple Uthara Kosa Mangai and had the dharshan of Spadiga Linga Abishekam. Then reacherd ramnad and had Veg Lunch in Iswarya Restaurent. Reached Rameswaram at 3.00 Pm Had the holy dip and had Dharshan and stared back at 5.15 Pm and reached back at 8.30 Pm. The Suggestin is to start early and reach around 10 and have the dharshan before 12 Noon. If you can do so you can visit other centers around rameswaram. The View from the bridge across the sea is great.
Old 14th December 2009, 11:21   #6
BHPian

Hi Nagesh,

I am planning a similar at around the same time. It'll be great if you could share some of the details ( especially around route you are planning to take and places planned to cover ).

Regards,
Sandeep
Old 26th December 2009, 22:29   #7
BHPian

@Surprise - Good to hear roads are fantastic..

@navan 49 - If I start early from Madurai - lets say 7 AM - is it possible to visit Rameshwaram, Dhanushkodi and reach Kanyakumari before sunset?

@explorer 09 - Apologize for the late reply. I am planning to leave on 27th
Dec. Probably you must've already started?
My plan -
27th - Start from Bangalore by 7 AM, reach Madurai by 5 PM and visit Meenakshi temple
28th - Leave Madurai early and reach Rameshwaram. Visit temple and Dhanushkodi and if possible reach Kanyakumari before sunset
29th - Start from Kanyakumari around 10 am and after that not sure about taking the Kerala route or back to Bangalore via Madurai. I really want to visit some nice places in Kerala without too much detour, but not too sure about the route.
Old 27th December 2009, 01:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hi Nagesh,

I am sorry yesterday I was busy and could not post your query. I don't know you will see this post before you start or not If you start at 7 am it will be tight schedule. Try at about5.30 and 6 then you can make it. You can Make Rameswaram around 11 and make it over before 2pm and start then you can make it around 7pm to Kanyakumari. 6 pm will be difficult. It you make it please let me know how?

Last edited by navan49 : 27th December 2009 at 01:10.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks