Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2010, 14:23   #16

Ramkya , I myself had done a round trip around US around 4 years back. 10,000 miles around 18 days. Let me tell you .. it is going to be a lot of fun.

I did it with my parents and it costed me around $6000 but then I had my own car.
on rental cars insurance is a killer and more than rent of the car. See if you can somehow arrange for auto insurance in US. You can buy it online ..but you may require US license for that. Do research on that end.Also visa credit cards do cover rental car damage to some extent.. so you may want to check on those too.

i would suggest you start from vegas/Grand canyon -> San diego -> SFO/lake tahoe/yosemite national park->yellowstone NP-> Chicago -> NJ/NY-.....

Vegas is alive at all times and you can spend whatever time you have at whatever hour productively. Also it may have lowest car rental rates.
You can pm me if you need any info/tips. i will be happy to share my cell #.
Old 3rd May 2010, 00:14   #17
BHPian

Good Idea !!!!! I'll be travelling to US in 2nd or 3rd week of this month. I'll let you know, Whether I can join you, once I come back from my trip.

Ramkya1, if you remember I did enquire about UK and Europe in your other thread. My plans got delayed because, once I got the UK Visa, the Volcanic Ash created havoc. And looking at the chaos at the European and UK, Airports, I changed my Plans to only UK and USA. Now, I'm in a dilemma, which Country to visit First?

Meanwhile, I got my IDP. My Old License was a Paper one, so changed to Smart Card.

I'll be visiting NY and nearby places. Just let me know, any of your previous experiences. I'll be travelling with family including a 7 year old daughter. My trip may be 10 days in UK and 10 days in NY. You can PM if you need my mail id.

By the way, any one from Bangalore is joining you?

Last edited by jaaz : 3rd May 2010 at 00:16.
Old 3rd May 2010, 13:24   #18
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Oh Boy. Oct is just round the corner. We'd spoke this earlier. Now work issues are holding me back in Pune. I've postponed my US stint to mid 2011. And am not in a position to spend so much off my hand. Have a great time Ramkya sir. I shall try meeting you in Gujarat before you leave to the US.
Old 14th July 2010, 03:26   #19
BHPian

ramky sir,

For Car rental, u can try
1) Happy Tours - Discount Rental Cars in Miami and Orlando, Florida - Car for hire with Alamo Rent A Car in the United States.
this website is for visitors to USA and hence includes full insurance.
They rent from top rental companies. I have not used it but my friend
who is currently on USA visit has booked thru this website for SFO to LAS
trip. Check them out if they charge any one-way drop off fee or not.
2) If u are booking directly with rental companies, there are coupons
which u can use to get some discounts, u can check for coupons
on rental company site directly or try MouseSavers.com - Rental Car Discount Info - Car Rental Discounts

Hope this helps

--rawnak
Old 14th July 2010, 05:39   #20
BANNED

That car rental dude who gives you unlimited miles would be kicking himself.

Make sure you get a national parks pass, most scenic roads go through these parks. Luggage for 5 people in a SUV may be too much, the 5th guy would always be cursing others. I would recommend that you pick 3 others. Also buy/rent a roof top cargo rack.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks