Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2009, 15:26   #1

Night Journey to Jim Corbett

Hi All,

Its been a long and tiring year and I nead to take break,, Pop came the idea to travel to Jim Corbett in any of the coming long weekends(25-27th or 31st to 3rd). Checked my schedule for the best time to start the trip. Grr the best departure time by my car is around 4:00 PM(Wish it could 4:00 AM). Considering no fog in the daytime and in total 1 hour breaks expected arrival would be aroung 10:00 PM.
Questions:
1. Is it safe and secured to travel by road from Delhi to Ramnagr duing the night hours consdering the state is UP, I will be travelling with my wife and a 4 year old
2. How good are the road conditions between Delhi and Ramnagar.

So dear roadies pen down your suggestions asap I need them badly to convince the home minister about the safety and security.

Mods: There are infinite travelogues on Jim Corbett, but I couldnot find the answer to my query, In case you have anything related let me know and move this thread to appropriate place.

Cheers!!!
Old 10th December 2009, 17:10   #2
BHPian

Mods i guess this need to be in Road/Travel queries section.
Old 10th December 2009, 17:24   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockingstart View Post
Questions:
1. Is it safe and secured to travel by road from Delhi to Ramnagr duing the night hours consdering the state is UP, I will be travelling with my wife and a 4 year old
I don't believe there's an unsafe stretch between Delhi - Ramnagar, so go ahead.

Road conditions are fine, barring the 25 odd Km Gajraula stretch, which is in a perpetual state of disarray. Haphazard diversions and bad roads. Gotta be careful on that part. After that it's a smooth sailing.

What route you planning to take?
Old 10th December 2009, 17:34   #4
BHPian

Although the roads are good to ok to bad ( approximately 25 kms before Moradabad), I think it won't be a very good idea travelling at night with your wife and a small child.

I did it once in a hired Innova and remember going past Corbett's gates at about 9 pm on a cold, windy night around Christmas two years ago. Although it turned out to be fine, with no mishap, but I wouldn't do it again.

If you have another person who can drive, maybe.
Old 10th December 2009, 21:28   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockingstart View Post
Questions:
Road conditions between Delhi and Moradabad are just fine, except for a 30-odd-km stretch between the end of the Hapur bypass and Garh Mukteshwar. After Moradabad the road is single-lane state highway, and runs through deserted countryside - best not travelled late at night. Given the fact that you will face evening traffic on the way, I'd expect you to arrive in Moradabad by 10pm, with Ramnagar another 90 km away via Thakurdwara (2 hours).

Your best bet would be to either stop over at Moradabad for the night (plenty of hotels near the railway station), or leave at 4 AM as you wish you could.
Old 10th December 2009, 22:37   #6
BHPian

I think the road around Gajraula heading towards Moradabad is supposed to be unsafe after sun down. Would probably be a good idea to avoid it in the dark...
Old 10th December 2009, 23:21   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutterbugger View Post
I think the road around Gajraula heading towards Moradabad is supposed to be unsafe after sun down. Would probably be a good idea to avoid it in the dark...
It's safe enough, with heavy traffic, but it may be prudent not to stop anywhere on dark highways in UP after perhaps 8PM. There are ghouls on the prowl after that time!
Old 11th December 2009, 10:30   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
I don't believe there's an unsafe stretch between Delhi - Ramnagar, so go ahead.

What route you planning to take?
I plan to take NH24 from Noida-Hapur-GarhMukteshwar-Moradabad-Kashipur-RamNagar-and the 60Kms upStream to the resort in total 360Kms
I have not decided the Moradabad-Kashipur route, buddy suggested is to go via Tanda since thats a wonderfully laid road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
Although the roads are good to ok to bad ( approximately 25 kms before Moradabad), I think it won't be a very good idea travelling at night with your wife and a small child.
Thanks, I will keep that in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
If you have another person who can drive, maybe.
Driving is not an issue, infact I want to drive through the stretch. Although my cousin and his family are joining in too but he is not too much into driving specially nights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Your best bet would be to either stop over at Moradabad for the night (plenty of hotels near the railway station), or leave at 4 AM as you wish you could.
I was planning to start at 4AM on 25th, check the weather from terrace at 4:00 AM and I could see is fog all around, this kinda made me stick to 4:00 PM schedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
It's safe enough, with heavy traffic, but it may be prudent not to stop anywhere on dark highways in UP after perhaps 8PM. There are ghouls on the prowl after that time!
I got you buddy, I plan to have dinner on the way by 8:00 PM by that time I guess I would be hitting Moradabad.

A buddy from Amroha(30 mins before Moradabad) said it takes him max 2 hrs to reach to Amroha from Noida this made me think if I am doing right calculations that ways I should be in Moradabad by max 6:30 PM.
Old 25th December 2009, 03:51   #9
BHPian

Moradabad will take you around 4 hours (maybe more) if no fog so keep that in mind.
Old 25th December 2009, 11:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

Ive done Delhi-Jim Corbett 4 times and always in the night, I do not think its unsafe or maybe I was just plain lucky.

The only problem you would face if any would be the heavy rather very heavy fog if it sets in. Believe me its a very big problem if that happens.

Kindly read my travelogue here and see if you would want to endure the risk of driving in the fog. The fog usually starts from the NCR and does not abate till Moradabad atleast.

I did Delhi to Rudrapur last week and I can update you on the latest road conditions till Moradabad.

Delhi- Hapur= Lots of traffic, ok roads.

Hapur - Gajraula = Lots of diversions due to fly overs being made, plus sugercane season so lots of slow moving traffic coming from all directions. Basically pathetic, so be carefull.

Gajraula- Moradabad by pass= Best segment of the entire journey, pretty enjoyable.

Good luck and enjoy Jim Corbette, its a beautifull place to go for a vacation!!!

Edit: Sorry jumped the gun again, just saw that you planning to start by 1600hrs. Its a good move.

Last edited by deky : 25th December 2009 at 11:40.
Old 29th December 2009, 12:02   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderNomad View Post
Moradabad will take you around 4 hours (maybe more) if no fog so keep that in mind.
, I calculated again and it takes min of 4 hrs by road to reach Moradabad, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
Ive done Delhi-Jim Corbett 4 times and always in the night, I do not think its unsafe or maybe I was just plain lucky.

Edit: Sorry jumped the gun again, just saw that you planning to start by 1600hrs. Its a good move.
thanks, I wished your inputs should have come little early,since by them my family pushed me into 3rd AC, 5035 Ramnagar Bound Train

Reached Ramnagar with a delay of 90 mins at around 10:30 PM.
Old 12th January 2010, 11:42   #12

There are numerous pics of tigers posted in TeamBHP, although no tigers could be spotted I found a scenic view of forest from one of the watch towers here is the pic of the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Night Journey to Jim Corbett-jimcorbettfromtowerteambhp.jpg  

Old 12th January 2010, 13:19   #13
Senior - BHPian

ha ha. So you got the STANDARD Corbett view. All forest, no tiger

But seriously, I need to drive that side soon - specifically to Pangot, just beyond Nainital. How safe/unsafe is the route? Its total wilderness esp after moradabad if one takes the kashipur/kaladhungi route!!
Old 12th January 2010, 15:16   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I dont know why u boys keep saying that. Wildlife sightings is a matter of chance.

However that said, sightings of the big cat are better in the Dhikala and Khinanauli side and rather poor on the Jhirna and Sultan sections.

I made 5 safaris in my last visit to Corbett and had sightings 3 times out of 5! Even caught a tiger stalking a sambar at Khinanauli: my first ever tiger hunt! To me THAT is the STANDARD corbett view! :P
COUGAR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2010, 15:01   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
It was after long that I took a break, motto was to enjoy the place and greenery with the family and cousins etc., but the human nature for more!!! & the sheer thrill of sighting a tiger took upon us the moment we entered through the Brijrani.

Seems like tigers want us to shell more(by visiting again) to have its darshan

I am not sure how many people go to Jimcorbett for Tiger Sightings, I asked many "having fun with family or friends" came first in the priority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
I dont know why u boys keep saying that. Wildlife sightings is a matter of chance.

However that said, sightings of the big cat are better in the Dhikala and Khinanauli side and rather poor on the Jhirna and Sultan sections.
:P
Actually I tried for Dhikala permits but they were long exhausted, As a backup plan we entered through BrijRani gate since I was told its second best after Dhikala.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks