Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2009, 12:13   #1
BHPian

Best Murudeshwar to Hampi route

Hi Folks!

Am planning to do a Chennai - Hassan - Jog Falls - Murudeshwar - Hampi - Bangalore - Chennai trip during 26th Dec - 3rd Jan in my i10 Asta.

Which is the best route to take from Murudeshwar to Hampi? The options seem to be
(a) Murudeshwar - Kumta - Sirsi - Hangal - Bankapura - Gadag - Hospet - Hampi
(b) Murudeshwar - Kumta - Siris - Haveri - Harapanahalli - Mariyammanahalli (NH 13) - Hospet _ Hampi
Any suggestions or alternatives?

Which is the best route from Hampi to Bangalore? After reading loads of posts here I have to avoid NH 13.

Hope someone will be able to shed some light on these two queries. Thanks a lot in advance.

Cheers,
Ssbiitm
Old 11th December 2009, 13:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

The best route from Murudeshwara to Hampi is NH17 north till Ankola (Murudeshwara-Honavar-Kumta-Ankola), then NH63 all the way to Hospet/Hampi (Ankola-Yellapura-Hubli-Gadag-Hospet). NH17 is OK, as is NH63 till Hubli (heavy traffic though), but NH63 after Gadag has bad sections.

For teh return, since I hear NH13 is in a bad shape, the best route may be to connect to the Bellary-Hiriyur SH and go via Challakere.
Old 12th December 2009, 01:02   #3
BHPian

Thanks, Kumar! Did you do this stretch recently? I too got the impression that NH 63 is quite okay despite the heavy lorry traffic. There were a few suggestions in favour of the Sirsi route (saying that it was a well-done road with low traffic movement), but as we all know the road conditions in India change rather dramatically and with high frequency (esp. if there are rains).

I believe that the Hospet - Bellary stretch is in horrible shape. However, many posts did say that the Bellary - Hanagal - Challakere - Hiriyur - Tumkur - Bangalore is quite okay.

Anyway, I will be doing this (Hampi - Bangalore) on 31st December and so, I still have a few more days time for some one to come up with other alternatives and/or a first hand experience.

Cheers,
ssbiitm

ps. I remember when I was quite young and we went to Hampi/Hospet from Bangalore in an Amby. We lost NH 13 at Jagalur and again regained it back at Kudligi (after cutting through Ujjini) on the onward and surprisingly on the return too, despite asking so many people. This was precisely on 15th and 17th February 1980 (respectively the days before and after the total solar eclipse that passed through Hampi - saw the eclipse in the afternoon of 16th Feb sitting next to the King's balance in Hampi). Recall, my dad mentioning during the drive that 13 was not proving to be a lucky number in our drive! Even in those days NH 13 (whatever little we did on it) was not in good shape! Of course, highway driving then was a totally different affair. Someday I hope to write a post about it!!
Old 12th December 2009, 08:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

Yes, ssbiitm, I drove on NH17-N63 end of Nov. NH17 has some bad patches here and there but that does no damage and you can keep a fast pace too. NH63 from Ankola to Hubli is lovely although the high truck traffic can slow you down. Hubli-Gadag is supposed to be OK, but after that road is in bad condition, especially between Hospet and Bellary. Bellary-Hiriyur road is excellent.

NH13 is indeed some kind of permanent bad road, despite that it is the most crucial connection between South and North/Central India.

Most Viewed