Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2015, 20:38   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: First time in Mumbai, Weekend to spend, what to do?

Visit one of the rooftop lounges in Mumbai for a view you cannot miss. Aer at 4 seasons, Asilo at Palladium hotel or Dome at Intercontinental. Aim for a Saturday evening, which may have happy hours. All the 3 are expensive, but worth it for a bit.
Old 8th July 2015, 13:01   #17
BHPian

Hi ,

I am also looking to spead 3-4 days in Mumbai with wife and kid , kindly suggest a good hotel with 3-4,000 fare in good location.

Last edited by Kool_Kid : 8th July 2015 at 13:07.
Old 8th July 2015, 13:05   #18
BHPian

If you are the wildlife / nature kind visit the SGNP at Borivali + Kanheri caves.
There are BEST buses available from Borivali station to the caves on weekends. Just remember to go in as early as possible to avoid the weekend crowd. The park is well maintained with a lion + tiger safari thrown in. Not in the league of other National parks in India, but will give you an idea how man and nature coexist in Bombay.

Regards
Dieseltuned
Old 8th July 2015, 14:07   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool_Kid View Post
Hi ,

I am also looking to spead 3-4 days in Mumbai with wife and kid , kindly suggest a good hotel with 3-4,000 fare in good location.
Which location are are staying at?

Lots of hotels in that range but suggestion depends on your location/preference of stay.
Old 8th July 2015, 14:09   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Adding to all that, please dont try boarding a local train at peak hours. You can just go to any station and have a look but dont try. It would be lethal.
That just sums it up - especially from someone from 'Singara' Chennai

But I would definitely recommend a trip to Victoria Terminus (VT) and a walk from there towards Flora Fountain - Kala Ghoda - Museum - Colaba (apart from what Noopster has told). The architecture alone is worth it. And a boat ride to the Elephanta Caves....

Beaches are nothing great - when compared to Marina Beach. But Marine Drive in the night is worth a trip. There was BEST open roof bus trip on this route, with a dining car, if I remember correctly.

And don't hesitate to grab a vada pav every now and then...

Kool_Kid, there are some decent hotels in Chembur (East) within your budget close to the railway station. Commutation to East / West Mumbai from Chembur is convenient (local by harbour line, only during non-peak hours, to go to Vashi or Wadala/VT).
Old 8th July 2015, 14:24   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak
Which location are are staying at?

Lots of hotels in that range but suggestion depends on your location/preference of stay.
I wish to stay near by tourist location to avoid tranport time.

Currenty looking at Hotels-Residency-Hotel-Fort ,
Old 8th July 2015, 14:43   #22
BHPian

Don't miss the midnight Ramzan food. Mohd Ali Road, however go at around 10 PM. It's the best time to visit the place!
Also ofcourse, Marine drive and the Sea Link!
Old 8th July 2015, 14:58   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool_Kid View Post
Hi ,

Theres this app called oyo rooms. Try it out. Hotels at bargain prices.

@prkiran visit carter road on a dry day. You have the MotoGP going on there on the weekends. Loads of superbikes visit carters in the evening. Good to hear us....errr i mean them go by.
Old 8th July 2015, 17:32   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkiran View Post
Well, technically this is not the first time I'm in Mumbai but on previous trips the only places I have seen are airport, office and the company guest house

So this time I'm here for 2 weeks and I have the coming weekend to explore the city. Any recommendations on stuff to do/see/experience here over the weekend? My preference would be around food and archaeology but any suggestions are welcome.
You mention "archaeology" - the archaeological sites are not in Mumbai proper but in some areas around, though I must say they are not as impressive or historically very significant. Maybe Elephanta caves, which is a 1 hour ferry ride from Gateway of India. I am not sure if the ferries will be running given monsoon season.

If you are interested in heritage architecture (and food!), this is my suggestion. Please feel free to modify as you choose.

Sunday early morning - land up at Gateway of India and start a heritage walk from there.

Route
1. Gateway of India - Regal Cinema circle
2. Regal Cinema - Kala Ghoda up to Lion Gate
3. Lion Gate - Asiatic Society Library/ Horniman Circle
4. Around Horniman Circle
5. Horniman Circle - Flora Fountain
6. Flora Fountain - High Court
7. Loop around High Court/ Grindlays bank building back to Flora Fountain
8. Flora Fountain - CST station
9. CST station - JJ School of architecture/ Crawford Market

Key buildings along the route (in order)
1. Gateway of India - Taj Hotel - Bombay Yacht Club - Regal Cinema - Police Headquarters
2. Prince of Wales Museum - Jehangir Art Gallery - Elphinstone College - Army & Navy Building - Kala Ghoda street
3. Lion Gate (not a building!) - Town Hall/ Asiatic Society Library (you can go inside)
4. Horniman Circle - Elphinstone Building - State Bank Buildings
5. St. Thomas Church - Flora Fountain circle
6. Central Telegraph Office
7. Oval Maidan (look across the maidan at the art deco district) - High Court - University/ Rajabai clock tower - Grindlays Bank (now Stan Chart)- HSBC Bank
8. American Express building - Thomas Cook Building - Kodak House - CST station
9. Municipal Corporation - Times of India building - JJ School - Crawford Market - Police Commissioner's offices

Eating places (the olden and golden)
Breakfast options:
1. Sundance Cafe (opp Churchgate Station)
2. Woodside Inn (opp Regal cinema) - I think they open at 10am

Lunch options:
1. Jimmy Boy (Iranian)
2. Fountain Cafe (continental & fusion - try the Burmese khaosuey)
3. Mahesh Lunch Home (seafood)
4. Trishna (sea food - also try the Hyderabadi dal fry)
5. Apoorva (have istew + appam, you will forget rest of the menu)
6. Royal China (Chinese)
7. Pizza by the bay - if you want to look out onto the queen's necklace

Old cinemas still operational in the area
Eros
Regal
New Excelsior
New Empire
Sterling
Capitol (avoid!)
Liberty (it used to be called Liberty Deluxe earlier, I wonder if the "Deluxe" survives)
Metro

Sterling and Metro have been upgraded, modernized and "multiplex"-ized, others remain as old.

The entire walk should be ~5km. Assuming you walk in a leisurely manner and look around a bit, you should spend about 3 - 3.5 hours on it.

Other things to do as people have mentioned:
- Marine Drive: if you can drive all the way up to Hanging Garden via Teen Batti. From there you can get a great view of the Queen's Necklace. Once upon a time there used to Cafe Naaz, which had the most unbelievable open air sea view in the city, but the place no longer exists.
- the aquarium is renovated, but with that the queues have become frighteningly long. This has put us off from venturing there, so can't tell how it is inside.
- if by any remote chance you have a club membership that will allow you reciprocal entry into either CCI or Bombay Gymkhana or Willingdon Club, jump at the chance.
- Bandra Bandstand and Carter Road are other sea-side promenades. Nights are "happening" but very crowded.
- Forget the beaches
- Mahalaxmi Race Course (go there for a morning walk or even for lunch at Gallop's).
- Siddhivinayak Temple, Mahalaxmi Temple - if you are inclined. Mahalaxmi Temple has a spectacular sea-side location, so you can also enjoy a great view there.

Couple of points:
- Most of the suburbs, especially western side, tend to be a traffic mess on weekends. So plan enough time if you are visiting those areas.
- If it is raining, remember that South Mumbai and Fort are generally good on drainage and traffic. But the eastern side (Lalbaug to Chembur) and parts of the western side (Santacruz, Khar) can experience flooding and associated problems.

All the best!
Old 10th July 2015, 21:12   #25
BHPian

Re: Mumbai - Places of interest?

Last Sunday We did a quick one day Mumbai trip from Pune.

One new place We explored this time is Priyadarshini Park in affluent Napean sea road, Malabar Hill area. This is garden and sports complex developed on reclaimed land by local citizen association.

USP : Well maintained garden with good sea view. Good place to relax.

Tripadvisor Link : http://www.tripadvisor.in/Attraction...harashtra.html
Old 27th April 2017, 18:06   #26
BANNED

Re: Mumbai - Places of interest?

Guys,

Though I have done Pune - Mumbai airport - Pune umpteen number of times never had the idea till date that this can be clubbed with a local sightseeing .

So this time while planning to drop my parent at Mumbai airport we are thinking of extending it to a day visit and cover few of the places.

We are planning to leave Pune coming Saturday after breakfast and go directly to Shree Siddhivinayak temple before heading out to our hotel near airport via sea-link. I am targeting to reach Siddhivinayak temple around 12-30 mid day this Saturday.

How would be the rush at the temple at that time on a Saturday?
Also do I get a parking nearby? The least I expect a wheel lock by local cops in my car with all the airport bound luggage in car.

Also, I suspect after the darshan we would all be dying in hunger, so any decent place to eat near Siddhivinayak temple? No need to be a fine diner, but a decent place with A/C and of-course parking would do great for us.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks