Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2009, 13:49   #1
BHPian

Mumbai To Mandu

Was reading a travelog on Mandu, Madhya Pradesh and ended up thinking about going there from Mumbai before the end of the new year.

The route from Mumbai via Nashik seems to be the obvious one (the other being through Ahmednagar etc)

Any information on road conditions, landmarks on the way as well as a decent place to stay in Mandu would be appreciated.
Old 23rd December 2009, 16:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

Yes, best route is via Nashik. Road is good till Nashik and beyond till MP border, after which road is moderately OK till Damnod from where road till Indore is good.

Alternative route is via Vadodara, Godhra, Mahua to Dhar, but that is longer.
Old 23rd December 2009, 17:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

The road from Khalghat to Indore is 4-laned and is in superb condition. However beware of people driving in the fast lane on the wrong side of the road divider.

From Damnod turn right and visit Maheshwar. It is a beautiful place on the banks of the river Narmada. You need to leave the newly laid 4-lane highway and go into Damnod and then take the road to Maheswhar. Inside the Fort Complex, just after the main door which is ahead of the car parking, there is a cafe on the right side. They offer accomodation and good home cooked food. I have their contact details at home I think.
http://www.mptourism.com/dest/maheshwar.html

You can come back to NH3 and then continue towards Indore. You need to take another diversion to your left to visit Mandu. Some information on accomodation at Mandu - http://www.mptourism.com/dest/mandu_accomm.html
Map - http://www.mptourism.com/pdfs/mandu.pdf

Last edited by pjbiju : 23rd December 2009 at 17:33.
Old 23rd December 2009, 18:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

Speak to Roy (COUGAR).

IMO, you need to ascend the ghats near Dhamnod on Agra-Mumbai highway to get there.

In 2005, it was better to return via PMGSY roads from the Dharampuri ghats. Here's some pics: Flickr Linky.YMMV - speak to Mandu hotel owners

IMHO, Maheshwar is only plain okay. The awesome place was Omkareshwar!

DONT go via Dhar. In 2005, it was a craterous 120 oddkm till the outskirts of Indore!
Old 28th December 2009, 00:02   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
Was reading a travelog on Mandu, Madhya Pradesh and ended up thinking about going there from Mumbai before the end of the new year.

The route from Mumbai via Nashik seems to be the obvious one (the other being through Ahmednagar etc)

Any information on road conditions, landmarks on the way as well as a decent place to stay in Mandu would be appreciated.
yes the road is nasik dhule sendhwa dhamnod.

at dhamnod take right to maheshwar for around 17 kms.the mpstdc resort is beautiful and the morning atmosphere at the ghats is divine however do take a boat ride on narmad river visit temples and the museum.

after a day at maheshwar next day morning leave for mandu. once yoy turn right on the nh4 you come to an unmarked diversion which goes left towrads mandu 5 out of 10 times you will miss this diversion and start climbing the ghats of mhow. so go slowly and ask for a place called dharphata(that is the road to mandu) after some time nearly 2 hours after a narrow ghat you can see the mandu plateau to your left while in the ghats, you come to a place called lunehra where you take a xtreme left through a petrol pump towards mandu. this petrol pump is bang before the toll booth for the road towards dhaar.

ive done this circuit before and know it in detail.

best place to have lunch is hotel residency dhule in their restaurant chitchat.

mumbai maheshwar is around 530kms depends on where u start in mumbai.

the sendhwa ghat can sometimes be choc a bloc with trailers and its better to halt at maheshwar rather than proceed towards mandu in the dark.teh jungles around mandu and dhaar are full of wildlife especially leopards and on the mandu road u can spot lots of peacocks.

i ahd done this journey in month of august.

best stay accomodation at mandu is still mpstdc resort however its is not as good as maheshwar narmada resort.

praveen

Last edited by pravdr : 28th December 2009 at 00:04.
pravdr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2009, 11:37   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post

The best time to visit Mandu is during or just after the rains. I visited it around Diwali this year. It was not that green and a large part of the beauty of the place was lost. Although the old architecture is really good, I would strongly recommend you postpone your visit until next July-Aug if possible.

We were travelling from Indore to Mandu and decided to take NH3 and then turn right at Hotel Palash onto a small village road that goes towards Brahmanpuri. (If you're coming from the opposite direction, i.e. from Nashik, Hotel Palash will be on your left, about 16kms. after the Khalghat toll gate). Its a road under PM's Gram Sadak Yojna. After 10kms of narrow, but relatively good village road, you will reach Brahmanpuri. There make a right. Now, the next 5kms stretch is the WORST. only pebbles and no road. avg. speed of 5kmph (and I am not exaggerating!!). All in all, would advise you to not take this route via. NH3. Better to approach Mandu from the east via. Dhar.

The MP tourism hotels there seemed to be good, although we didnt stay a night at Mandu and consequently didnt need to book acco.
Old 29th December 2009, 15:45   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutterbugger View Post
Better to approach Mandu from the east via. Dhar.
I meant better to approach it from the west, via. Dhar. Apologies for any confusion.
Old 10th March 2010, 23:55   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutterbugger View Post
I meant better to approach it from the west, via. Dhar. Apologies for any confusion.
dear shutterbugger

since you have advised to approach mandu from dhar side i would like to know whether you have any info regarding the vadodara ujjain road passing thro godhra and jhabua.

there are hardly any posts/trvaelogues on this route.im planning mumbai vadodara ujjain. would like to know anyone knowing more about this route too.

regards

pg
Old 11th March 2010, 09:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

The road from Vadodara is good via Kalol, Godhra till the MP border at Dahod. From the MP border onwards, I have never heard the road to be good any time - unless things have changed very recently. Distance profile is as follows:
Vadodara bypass/toll gate 0 kms-Halol 32 kms-Godhra-Jhabua 48-Dhar 44-Indore 62
Old 11th March 2010, 19:02   #10

I did Mumbai-Indore-Bhopal in January this year and was pleasantly shocked at the excellent road conditions. The route was Mumbai-Nasik-Dhule-Indore-Dewas-Bhopal. There were some bad patches but very few to mention. Since I was the lone driver the excellent road conditions made driving really easy and enjoyable. Have a nice and safe trip and please do share your experience.
Old 11th March 2010, 19:04   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
The road from Vadodara is good via Kalol, Godhra till the MP border at Dahod. From the MP border onwards, I have never heard the road to be good any time - unless things have changed very recently. Distance profile is as follows:
Vadodara bypass/toll gate 0 kms-Halol 32 kms-Godhra-Jhabua 48-Dhar 44-Indore 62
Kumar Sir, I did Mumbai-Indore-Bhopal and trust me even I was shocked at the excellent conditions of road. Driving was a pleasure.
Old 6th September 2018, 13:51   #12
BHPian

Vapi to Mandu and Maheshwar route query

Mods, could not find any related thread in 2018. Also there is no search function in the mobile app, hence opening a new thread
Planning to go to Mandu and Maheshwar in MP from near Vapi in Gujarat in November by car.
If going to to Mandu, Google shows route via Godhra
However if I decide to go to Maheshwar directly it shows an entirely different route.
Has anyone traveled these roads recently and can advice which is best route to take?
Old 6th September 2018, 15:03   #13
BHPian

Re: Vapi to Mandu and Maheshwar route query

I would suggest Vapi -- Nashik -- Dhule -- Dhamnod - Maheshwar -- Mandav route.

You will be on Mumbai - Agra highway 4 lane till Dhamnod. Beware of huge speed breakers on this road.

Most Viewed