Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2010, 14:01   #1
BHPian

B'Lore - Dharmastala Road Condition

Hi, I've tom visit Dharma & Kukke this week end with my family in my Swift.

Did any one travelled thru' Shiradi ghats recently & how's the condition? Or Is it advisable to take Charmudi ghats ...Hassan- Belur-Mudigere-Kottigehara-Charmudi [is it necessary to touch Chickmagalur?]

Pl let me know which route is better Or is it better to avoid driving self & hire a cab? I like self driving in ghats, as long as they are in drivable condition.

Thanks
Old 25th January 2010, 16:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

I have heard Charmadi is better than shiradi(also Shiradi was closed few days back to clear some land slide) not sure if its open

If u take charmadi, The problem is mudigere-belur stretch, so to avoid it, you might have to go till chikmaglur and then belur(this is what i came to know from other threads)

i travel to udupi and i take the chikmaglur-sringeri route and road is great till i take diversion after chikmaglur to sringeri..no idea after that
Old 27th January 2010, 10:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALSUDA View Post
Hi, I've tom visit Dharma & Kukke this week end with my family in my Swift.

Did any one travelled thru' Shiradi ghats recently & how's the condition? Or Is it advisable to take Charmudi ghats ...Hassan- Belur-Mudigere-Kottigehara-Charmudi [is it necessary to touch Chickmagalur?]

Pl let me know which route is better Or is it better to avoid driving self & hire a cab? I like self driving in ghats, as long as they are in drivable condition.

Thanks
@ ALSUDA, why not search the " THE ART OF TRAVELLING BETWEEN BANGALORE MANGALORE" thread. This thread is updated atleast twice a week on road condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy
If u take charmadi, The problem is mudigere-belur stretch, so to avoid it, you might have to go till chikmaglur and then belur(this is what i came to know from other threads)
No need to go towards Chikmagalur, if you want to avoid Belur-Cheekanahally-Mudigere route.
Take this route instead, Belur - Gendehally-Makonahally-Mudigere. Good road, but single lane.
Old 27th January 2010, 18:10   #4
BHPian

Hi sushrutha, infact I was going thru' that thread, but I couldn't make out the present condition of Rd Shiradi/Charmudi. BTW, is this 'Belur - Gendehally-Makonahally-Mudigere' road is good? From Mudigere ve I to take route to Kottigehara & then charmudi ? Pl let me know. I'm not familier with this route. Travelled thru' Shiradi.
Old 27th January 2010, 18:24   #5
BHPian

Quote:
BTW, is this 'Belur - Gendehally-Makonahally-Mudigere' road is good? From Mudigere ve I to take route to Kottigehara & then charmudi ? Pl let me know. I'm not familier with this route. Travelled thru' Shiradi.
As of last week of Dec 09, this road was bad - too many potholes. I found instead Belur - Chikmagalur - Mudigere a better route though that was 25 kms extra.
Old 27th January 2010, 18:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

AFAIK and as far as today information goes the Shiradi ghat is closed for clearing a major land slide and charmudi is having a huge traffic jam extending upto 2-3kms and due to some lorry getting stuck and some overturning trucks and takes min of 2 hours to clear that jam.
Old 28th January 2010, 09:55   #7
BHPian

Opps...Shiradi is closed & charmudi ghats too much of jams....I feel it's better to postphone the travel, since I'll be driving with family & kids. Shiradi ghat is closed only for few days to remove the land slides & once it's opened for trafic, then there shouldn't be much trafic on Charmudi ghats. Incase roads are better compared to shiradi, I like to drive thru' charmudi. In this route I ve driven up to Sringeri/Horanadu/Kalasa via Belur-Aldur-Chickmagalur-Balehonnur. But not driven thru' Charmudi yet.
Old 28th January 2010, 10:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi sushrutha, infact I was going thru' that thread, but I couldn't make out the present condition of Rd Shiradi/Charmudi. BTW, is this 'Belur - Gendehally-Makonahally-Mudigere' road is good?
I have already answered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Belur - Gendehally-Makonahally-Mudigere. Good road, but single lane.
Quote:
From Mudigere ve I to take route to Kottigehara & then charmudi ? Pl let me know. I'm not familier with this route. Travelled thru' Shiradi.
Yes. Mudigere-Banakal-Kottigehara-Charmadi-Ujire-Dharmasthala. 65kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnaganathan View Post
As of last week of Dec 09, this road was bad - too many potholes. I found instead Belur - Chikmagalur - Mudigere a better route though that was 25 kms extra.
Are you sure you took this route ?? 'Belur - Gendehally-Makonahally-Mudigere' .
Probably you might have taken Belur -Cheekanahally-Gonibeedu-Mudigere route.
'Belur - Gendehally-Makonahally-Mudigere' . This road is in good condition as of Jan 10 - 2010

Most Viewed