Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2010, 10:25   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

D-Day has arrived. The highways beckon. We leave for Mumbai this evening. Can't wait. Only worry is the cyclone brewing, expected to hit GJ tonight. Wonder what the road and weather conditions would be through GJ on the NH8 tomorrow morning.
Old 3rd June 2010, 10:29   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
D-Day has arrived. The highways beckon. We leave for Mumbai this evening. Can't wait. Only worry is the cyclone brewing, expected to hit GJ tonight. Wonder what the road and weather conditions would be through GJ on the NH8 tomorrow morning.
All the best Sirji!

Have a fab trip and do keep updating the road conditions.

Also if you have a GPS/GPRS enabled handset, download google maps and login to Latitudes. That way our Highway God HVK can keep track on your speed and prod if you are behind schedule
Old 3rd June 2010, 10:39   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
All the best Sirji!

Have a fab trip and do keep updating the road conditions.

Also if you have a GPS/GPRS enabled handset, download google maps and login to Latitudes. That way our Highway God HVK can keep track on your speed and prod if you are behind schedule
Thanks, AB. Keep an eye on FB too. Unfortunately, one thing I am, is a little technologically challenged as far as this browsing on mobiles go. It takes more time to log in and fiddle around, than to drive! I'd rather drive...

You think I need the prodding?
Old 3rd June 2010, 11:01   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, AB. Keep an eye on FB too. Unfortunately, one thing I am, is a little technologically challenged as far as this browsing on mobiles go. It takes more time to log in and fiddle around, than to drive! I'd rather drive...

You think I need the prodding?
Well on my recent trip, as I was continuously logged on Google Latitudes and HVK was sending me encouraging SMS's like "Good Speed but you are Late!"
& "You are Flying" et al

I knew Big Brother was watching!
Old 3rd June 2010, 11:06   #50
BHPian

Wish you a great trip, SS-Traveller. Your itinerary looks exciting.

Have you decided on your acco in Coorg? I would second Samurai's suggestion of Honey Valley. It is set amid coffee estates on the fringes of natural forests, with lots of trekking options including a one day trek to the highest peak in Coorg, Thadiyendamol. When I stayed there, I got a four-bedded room at a throwaway price in peak season (Christmas day, 2009). Don't worry about needing a 4X4 too, as they have a couple of them at the estate and will pick you from the parking lot located near the main road.
Old 4th June 2010, 13:15   #51
Team-BHP Support

Panjim to Udupi (330Kms) in 5 hours is a pipe-dream. My best time without a break when the roads used to be great, was 6 hours.

There is too much traffic and narrow roads between Panjim and madgaon. Near ankola you will run into Mine trucks for sometime. Then again from Byndoor to Udupi (65Kms) you will suffer heavy traffic. About 7 hours is the best you can hope during daytime.
Old 5th June 2010, 07:43   #52
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All the best doc. Have as safe trip.
Old 5th June 2010, 11:50   #53
BHPian

SS Boss,

You already might be in Mumbai now. Wish you a safe and happy trip ahead. have you finalized your accommodation in Goa, Medicari/coorg? If yes, kindly share the details either here or through PM. We too will be visiting these places in second half of June, as my leaves got delayed.
Old 5th June 2010, 12:35   #54
Team-BHP Support

Update:

SS-T reached Bombay at 4 PM yesterday
Old 5th June 2010, 16:35   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Update:
SS-T reached Bombay at 4 PM yesterday
Good to know that. So he reached ahead of his schedule in terms of time!
Old 5th June 2010, 16:44   #56
Senior - BHPian

SS had a fast drive to Bombay. We are all meeting tonight at the Mahape OTR.
Old 5th June 2010, 17:19   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I am sure that'll be a very nice meet of driving legends.
Old 7th June 2010, 00:05   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjay_in View Post
Wish you a great trip, SS-Traveller. Your itinerary looks exciting.

Don't worry about needing a 4X4 too...
Thanks, pjay_in. Yet to receive my confirmation at Madikeri from someone I'd asked to book room(s) for me, hopefully something will materialize in a day or two, else this option is always there.

No, I don't worry about needing 4x4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Panjim to Udupi (330Kms) in 5 hours is a pipe-dream. My best time without a break when the roads used to be great, was 6 hours.

There is too much traffic and narrow roads between Panjim and madgaon. Near ankola you will run into Mine trucks for sometime. Then again from Byndoor to Udupi (65Kms) you will suffer heavy traffic. About 7 hours is the best you can hope during daytime.
Thanks for the heads-up about the traffic situation, Samurai. Will compensate departure / arrival times accordingly. Be meeting you on Friday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
All the best doc. Have as safe trip.
Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
SS Boss,

You already might be in Mumbai now. Wish you a safe and happy trip ahead. have you finalized your accommodation in Goa, Medicari/coorg? If yes, kindly share the details either here or through PM. We too will be visiting these places in second half of June, as my leaves got delayed.
Thanks LDL - answered your query in the other thread. Will report about how good / bad once we are there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
And what a meeting it was! 9:30 PM to 2 AM! In the back of genesis' CJ3B to boot!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
I am sure that'll be a very nice meet of driving legends.
Who're those?
================================================
This thread was specifically created in the Route/Travel Queries section for gathering information about my roadtrip. Now that the trip is underway, a new thread has been created in the Travelogues section to track the journey and fill in all the details & pics.

This thread may therefore be closed, or retained for further route queries in future. We move over to the other thread.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks