Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2010, 10:46   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Time to revive this thread again, as the dates draw closer. Planning to cover Chikmagalur too on this trip. Some specific areas of interest are the wildlife sanctuaries in the vicinity:
  • Anshi National Park
  • Nagarhole National Park
  • Bhadra WLS
Inputs required! Is it feasible/worth going to these places in the middle of June? Is it worth going there at all?
Old 20th April 2010, 11:00   #17
Senior - BHPian

SS - Sorry, I'm too embarassed to give my inputs as my stay was hardly 2 days at Hoskeri village about 18 Kms from Madikeri. We only visited Dubare forest, Tibetian Monastery(Golden Temple), Raja's seat & Old Fort & this is all we could do. We stayed in Mysore but were able to visit only Chamundi Hills properly; we couldn't experience Brindhavan gardens due to heavy rains. Anyway, I'll post some of the pics tomorrow (no internet at home - appreciate BSNL's service). Here's some miniscule info that I can provide you that I took at Raja's seat.

From my experience staying at Madikeri gives you an advantage of being in centre of all the attractions & makes easier for site seeing or keep moving your stay after staying from Madikeri. Being a veggie, we couldn't enjoy the local cuisine because most of the coorgi food is non-veg.

EDIT - Check this out too & one of our TBHPian runs this place and this thread for a comprehensive list of accomodation in Coorg. I used this link to get some information on Coorg accomodation. Regarding planning, I was the most poorest & we'd plan B, C, D & what not. If I'd seen this link earlier, I would've visited several other places.

Last edited by aargee : 20th April 2010 at 11:15.
Old 20th April 2010, 13:24   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Is it feasible/worth going to these places in the middle of June? Is it worth going there at all?
June might have some rain. I personally find rain a pleasant experience. But this varies from person to person.
Old 20th April 2010, 15:05   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
June might have some rain. I personally find rain a pleasant experience. But this varies from person to person.
As long as one can sit in a verandah, languishing the hills, mists and rain, coffee in hand and off course NOT getting drenched or stranded !

I am game for it !
Old 20th April 2010, 15:09   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Time Some specific areas of interest are the wildlife sanctuaries in the vicinity
@SS Traveller - Sir, can you add Bandipur national park to your list?
Old 20th April 2010, 15:52   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
As long as one can sit in a verandah, languishing the hills, mists and rain, coffee in hand and off course NOT getting drenched or stranded !

I am game for it !
Totally! Its an amazing experience to be amidst these rainforests in the monsoon. Esp with hot bhajjis, chai/coffee and lanterns for company! If you're the kind who's comfortable doing nothing, reading a book, or playing a board game, this is an awesome time. And if you like that sort of a thing, getting drenched is fun!
Old 20th April 2010, 15:59   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Time to revive this thread again, as the dates draw closer. Planning to cover Chikmagalur too on this trip. Some specific areas of interest are the wildlife sanctuaries in the vicinity:
[list][*]Anshi National Park
SS,
Anshi National Park is in Karwar/Kadra. Do you plan to go there also
if you want to cover it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
Totally! Its an amazing experience to be amidst these rainforests in the monsoon. Esp with hot bhajjis, chai/coffee and lanterns for company! If you're the kind who's comfortable doing nothing, reading a book, or playing a board game, this is an awesome time. And if you like that sort of a thing, getting drenched is fun!
I am game for it any time except for the drenched part !
Old 20th April 2010, 20:43   #23
BHPian

Quote:

I am game for it !
I think he has mentioned that he would be attending a convention at Club mahindra, so iam assuming that he would be staying there as well. I dont think Mahindra is the best place to soak in the rain. You need to be in a coffee estate to get that amazing feeling.
Old 22nd April 2010, 05:54   #24
Team-BHP Support

I have one more general question/perception about Homestays.
Hope folks can clear it.

Homestay as the word indicates is stay at a home away from home. Since its the "home" of a person, you are being hosted at his place. This brings it down from the realm of a hotel/professional establishment to a personal touch.

So if for any reason, you find the service lacking, how do you bring it to the notice of the host? Since its like a home you feel obliged to the host and at least I think you cannot demand things the way you ask at a regular hotel (even though you may be entitled to the service).

I agree that the difference is in perception, but is it not true?
How should one handle such situations in homestays?
Old 22nd April 2010, 06:02   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Homestay as the word indicates is stay at a home away from home. Since its the "home" of a person, you are being hosted at his place. This brings it down from the realm of a hotel/professional establishment to a personal touch.
Well it depends I would say, the folks were very nice at the place where we stayed in Coorg & one of our fellow BHPian did a Wayanad, Kabini trip & their homestay also seems to be good.

Quote:
So if for any reason, you find the service lacking, how do you bring it to the notice of the host? Since its like a home you feel obliged to the host and at least I think you cannot demand things the way you ask at a regular hotel (even though you may be entitled to the service).
Well you can ask for something that you need; instead of demanding, you can request. If its available, they will provide, if not a smiling sorry.
Old 22nd April 2010, 10:25   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
...the kind who's comfortable doing nothing, reading a book, or playing a board game, this is an awesome time. And if you like that sort of a thing, getting drenched is fun!
I am game for it !
You guys are really making my current 44*C environment worse than it actually is, with all that monsoon imagery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@SS Traveller - Sir, can you add Bandipur national park to your list?
Bandipur & Nagarahole are next door to each other, and given good accommodation and wildlife sighting options, we won't mind that too.
Quote:
SS,
Anshi National Park is in Karwar/Kadra. Do you plan to go there also
if you want to cover it?
Karwar is halfway between Goa and Manipal - yes, we'd go to Karwar on the way to Manipal. But what I wanted to find out was, are these forests (Anshi/ Bhadra/ Nagarahole/ Bandipur) going to be open at the onset of rains? And which of these (if any) let you take your own car in into the forest?
Quote:
Originally Posted by princezahed View Post
I think he has mentioned that he would be attending a convention at Club mahindra, so iam assuming that he would be staying there as well. I dont think Mahindra is the best place to soak in the rain. You need to be in a coffee estate to get that amazing feeling.
We would be staying at the Club Mahindra Resort for 1 night (16/17 June), but we'd be in & around Madikeri for a few days beforehand - but not at CM (at their rates, I'll come back bankrupt! ). Exploring options right now, and it's good to know you're there too. Will PM you shortly, after the itinerary is finalised.
Quote:
Being a veggie, we couldn't enjoy the local cuisine because most of the coorgi food is non-veg.
We look forward to the trip even more then!
Quote:
Check this out too & one of our TBHPian runs this place and this thread for a comprehensive list of accomodation in Coorg. I used this link to get some information on Coorg accomodation. Regarding planning, I was the most poorest & we'd plan B, C, D & what not. If I'd seen this link earlier, I would've visited several other places.
Thank you for the links.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 22nd April 2010 at 10:29.
Old 22nd April 2010, 10:56   #27
Team-BHP Support

I dont think there are any good places to stay to view the Anshi park. The best to stay in JLR Dandeli. But for that you need to good deep inside Karwar. Or the other route is instead of Goa come via Hubli and Dandeli would be close.
Old 22nd April 2010, 11:30   #28
Senior - BHPian

I had stayed here Welcome to Cloud Valley as Zahed's Home Stay was not available at that time. Even though I had stayed in the Madikeri, these same guys have home stay options in the Coffe Estate as well. Rates are about 1000~1200 per 24 hours and the service pretty good.

You can check out the pictures of the acco on this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-2050-kms.html

Last edited by MileCruncher : 22nd April 2010 at 11:31.
Old 9th May 2010, 23:44   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

A quick update on the plans:
The trip has been extended, and will now comprise an almost complete GQ run anti-clockwise. Starting 3rd June 2010, the stopovers are Mumbai (3N) > Goa (3N) > Manipal (Udupi) (3N) > Madikeri (4N) > Bangalore (maybe 1N) > Vizag (maybe 1N) > Kolkata (3N) > Benaras (maybe 1N) > New Delhi (ending 23rd/24th June 2010). Driving plan finalized, I have to finalize accommodation bookings for Goa & Madikeri, and fine-tune the sightseeing plans.
Old 10th May 2010, 06:33   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A quick update on the plans:
The trip has been extended, and will now comprise an almost complete GQ run anti-clockwise. Starting 3rd June 2010, the stopovers are Mumbai (3N) > Goa (3N) > Manipal (Udupi) (3N) > Madikeri (4N) > Bangalore (maybe 1N) > Vizag (maybe 1N) > Kolkata (3N) > Benaras (maybe 1N) > New Delhi (ending 23rd/24th June 2010). Driving plan finalized, I have to finalize accommodation bookings for Goa & Madikeri, and fine-tune the sightseeing plans.
Whoa! That is a long holiday. There are two routes between Bangalore & Vizag, one thru the GQ and one thru Hyd. If you are passing thru Hyd, give a shout .

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks