Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2010, 23:58   #1
BHPian

Kochi to Thommankutu - Route and related details - help

Hi,

We are planning a visit to Thommankuthu Falls from Ernakulam(Kochi) this weekend, (one day program).

Had few questions:

1) Shortest and route with least stretch of bad road (I won't be surprised if there aren't any :-) )

2) Planning to start by 7 from here, which would be an ideal place for breakfast and lunch? (Veggies and Non-Veggies in the group)

3) What are the other places near Thommankuthu worth a visit? Our intention is to get back by 7.30pm to the starting point....

Thanks in advance.
Old 26th January 2010, 00:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

@Hrishiz:
Thommankuth Water Falls at this time may have less Water flow(Obviously).

1)You can Reach Muvattupuzha via NH49 and after Muvattupuzha in Kothamangalam Road(some 4kms) take a right turn to connect to Pothanicad-Vannappuram-Thommankuth Route.This route is remote;Only saviour is may be saving few kms of distance compared to below route.When Last time I took this route,The roads are bad near Vannappuram.

Kochi-Muvattupuzha-Thodupuzha(Excellent roads) -Some 60-65kms.

From Thodupuzha take the route to thommankuthu(Udumbannur-Ezhumuttom) which is Easy and Average Nice Road too.
So,I will recommend via Thodupuzha route.

2)You can find good standard Hotels at Thodupuzha for Lunch.Veg - Hotel Vinayaka ,near sri krishna temple ,Thodupuzha,Hotel Gopuram .
Non-veg :I used to Visit TeeCee Restaurent(and bar ), opposite Jyoti Bazaar and Hotel Sicilia etc.

and for families - there are Hotels near private bus stand(average).

For Break fast ,You have many options there at City itself?

3) You can Consider "Ilaveezha poonchira" via Thodupuzha-Muttom(Erattupetta road) Route.You Will get Breathtaking View of Hills after Muttom. But ,Ilaveezhapoonchira is really hilly to climb on and You may research more on before visit.

But I love driving this Thodupuzha-Muttom Stretch.

Thattekkad Bird Sanctuary,Kodanad Elephant Kraal all can be linked with your Thommankutth tour ,but Covering all these places in one day seems tough.

Last edited by deepclutch : 26th January 2010 at 00:54.
Old 26th January 2010, 08:03   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
Thattekkad Bird Sanctuary,Kodanad Elephant Kraal all can be linked with your Thommankutth tour ,but Covering all these places in one day seems tough.
Hi there,

Thanks a lot for that input. Quiet informative.

We are leaving the city before breakfast so that we can get away from the traffic asap!

We are told that thommankuthu itself has a good share of trekking so we ar advised not to include ilaveezhapunchira...

"Meenuliyarmudi (at vannapuram panchayathu), Keezharkuthu (Uumpannoor) and Irukallumud (Velliyammattom) are other famous small tourist centres near Thommankuthu"

I got the above from the net. Any idea how good these places are?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks