Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2010, 08:10   #1
BHPian

Chennai to Mumbai - Route Query

hi Team BHPians, I am planning to travel from Chennai to Mumbai in may in my new car - SX4 which i purchased 2 months back, i will be traveling with my family, around 6 people including my driver and would like to have some inputs from people who have done that stretch.

1. is it possible to travel 6 people all together in SX4 till mumbai without any problem, will the car consume more fuel ?

2. I want to know the directions and the Routes to be followed ?

3. I am planning to start from Chennai around 3 A.M and reach by Mumbai around 11 P.M same day night, as per drivers concerned, we are three including my driver...

Places to be covered:

Bangalore,Shirdi, Nashik, Mumbai.

Driver Needed: We have a driver, he rides the car like butter. we are planning to opt for another driver because our driver knows all the routes of south India but going to north is something different. so i need a very experienced driver who knows all the routes from Chennai to mumbai plus in and around mumbai at least some parts of mumbai... if anybody can give me some contacts, i will be very happy..

The most Important thing: Since i work in a MNC, i will not get not more than 7 days off from work. As per my calculations, If i can able to make to Mumbai in 16 hours. so i am left with close to 5 days.

Is it possible to cover all the places which i mentioned. we are going to all the staying in Mumbai. so will this plan work out or i need more days.

Please revert back on these and also other tips and pointers too would be appreciated and welcomed and off-course Thanks In Advance.

Uday
Old 4th February 2010, 09:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

6 people in a car - that is one too much. I don't know how you are going to sit in teh cra, far less do such a long 1450 km journey. I don't think you need a driver, you are 2 drivers already.

Route is excellent. You can do it within the time you mention.

Check out teh route on the following link:
Madras-Bangalore-Bombay, on NH4-NH46-NH7-NH4
GOLDEN QUADRILATERAL 2008 - hvkumar | Google Groups

One revision though - 17 ksm from the TN-KA border (Attibele), you ca take a right turn onto the NICE Road and use it to bypass Bangalore city, this will lead to straight to Tumkur Road (NH4) 10 kms before Nelamangala.

I have indicated hotels, etc in the log book attached.

From Bombay, you can proceed to Nashik, then Shirdi and go directly to Pune, to return to Madras. You can track the route from Bombay/Thane to Nasik/Shirdi on teh following log book:
SHIRDI & BHANDARDARA, Jun 2001 - hvkumar | Google Groups
Old 5th February 2010, 13:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

Regarding your PM to me on driver:

When are you leaving? Driver - there are drivers on hire, I don't know any, but I can check up with a Bombay driver if you wish. He has driven some of these routes, but currently he drives a Meru taxi and may have to be suitably compensated to offset his earnings there.

Please enable your PM - when I replied to your PM, the site refused to take my message saying your PM is not enabled or something like that.
Old 6th February 2010, 18:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udayjani View Post
hi Team BHPians, I am planning to travel from Chennai to Mumbai in may in my new car -

as per drivers concerned, we are three including my driver...

Driver Needed: We have a driver, he rides the car like butter. we are planning to opt for another driver because our driver knows all the routes of south India but going to north is something different. so i need a very experienced driver who knows all the routes from Chennai to mumbai plus in and around mumbai at least some parts of mumbai... if anybody can give me some contacts, i will be very happy..

Uday
@Uday

This is regarding the driver. I feel on any trip and especially long outstation ones, we should travel with only that driver with whom the family is comfortable and who can be trusted completely, especially when you leave him in the parking lots of temples/pit stops etc. or during any unforeseen developments. I think that your driver should be able to cope with the route directions etc just as any of us do. The new driver may have mannerisms or a disposition that may not be to your liking and in the close confines of a car this can be a trip breaker.
Old 15th February 2010, 20:18   #5
BHPian

So, the fastest route is via Bangalore? Google maps show a route via Kurnool, Solapur - NH9? But am I right in saying that distance-wise this might be shorter by 100 km than the Bangalore route but time-wise it might take much longer. Is NH9 4-laned? Distance - Chennai-Bangalore-Mumbai = approx = 1350 km? Thanks. Somehow when I look at the map via Bangalore looks long. I plan to do it myself - so might take 2 days - would prefer 4 am starts. What could be a good plan to take a halt at a good hotel mid-way - even early evening and get the sights/sounds/smell/flavours of a good place in between.
Old 15th February 2010, 20:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

The fastest route is through Bangalore. Any other route might add atleast 4 - 6 hours to your journey time, not to forget the latest update about the roads between Hospet & Bijapur in seriously bad shape. I have done Mahableshwar - Chennai in about 21 hours with a break of about 4 hours for work. This includes crossing Bangalore at around 9 PM through ring road when traffic was as bad as peak hours.

If say for example you start around 2 in the morning you could comfortably reach Mumbai by night fall without opting to break your journey for the night.
Old 15th February 2010, 20:37   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevmenon View Post
So, the fastest route is via Bangalore? Google maps show a route via Kurnool, Solapur - NH9? But am I right in saying that distance-wise this might be shorter by 100 km than the Bangalore route but time-wise it might take much longer. Is NH9 4-laned? Distance - Chennai-Bangalore-Mumbai = approx = 1350 km? Thanks. Somehow when I look at the map via Bangalore looks long. I plan to do it myself - so might take 2 days - would prefer 4 am starts. What could be a good plan to take a halt at a good hotel mid-way - even early evening and get the sights/sounds/smell/flavours of a good place in between.
Route via Hyderabad to Madras is 100 kms more. Bangalore route is faster. If you are fast and drive non-stop, you can do Bombay-Bangalore-Madras in 19 hours.

You can ideally halt at Davangere (Hotel Puja International) or Belgaum (Hootel Sankam Residency) if you are not doing it non-stop.
Old 15th February 2010, 20:49   #8
BHPian

Thanks guys. However considering Hospet-Bijapur being not so good should I consider the Hyderabad route. How are the road conditions there as of today? All, 4-laned? Any bad sections? How many hours extra would it take? Thanks once again.
Old 15th February 2010, 20:51   #9
BHPian

Sorry, my bad. Hospet-Bijapur is not on the Chennai-Bangalore-Mumbai proposed route. Ignore concern on previous post about the bad road conditions on Hospet-Bijapur. However other questions still remain?
Old 15th February 2010, 21:15   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevmenon View Post
Thanks guys. However considering Hospet-Bijapur being not so good should I consider the Hyderabad route. How are the road conditions there as of today? All, 4-laned? Any bad sections? How many hours extra would it take? Thanks once again.
Hyderabad route is not 4-laned. Road is being widened between Solapur and Pune. I think it sensible to avoid that route.

You can check out that route in the following log books of mine:
http://groups.google.com/group/hvkum...rupati1999.xls
Onward was via Bangalore to Tirupati, then Madras.
return was via Hyderabad, via Rajampet route.

http://groups.google.com/group/hvkum...thtrip-501.xls
The onward was via Hyderabad, but via Rayachoti & Chittoor.

GOLDEN QUADRILATERAL 2008 - hvkumar | Google Groups
And this Madras-Bangalore-Bombay was on GQ route, last leg.
Old 29th October 2014, 20:17   #11
BHPian

Chennai - Mumbai in a day.

Hi Guys,

This is about my trip from Chennai - Mumbai in Dec '13.

Brief intro about my previous trip from Chennai to Mumbai and back to Chennai:
My previous trip from Chennai to Mumbai and back to Chennai was between 19th Dec 2012 and 2nd Jan 2013, all I could remember now is the total travel time taken which was close to 22 hrs( Chennai - Mumbai ) and 21 hrs ( Mumbai - Chennai).
That was the first long tour for me after buying 2nd car (iGen i20 CRDi) in July 2012. Previously I had a driving experience of 1 yr in my Petrol swift. I had to sell it as I had to transfer to Chennai and badly wanted a diesel car in Chennai as I would be extensively using it.

I had driven to Vellore golden temple once around September 2012. That was the first time I got the glimpse of what driving on a highway feels like and since then I had been planning for a long tour from Chennai to Mumbai. Took some time convincing my mom and after lots of negotiation got a green signal.

Now coming to the '13 trip.
Since I already had a prior experience of Chennai - Mumbai, It was easy for me to convince my mom this time around.

The plan was to start at 4:00 am of 21st Dec 2013. I had given my vehicle for 4th Service a week prior to our trip so the vehicle was in top notch condition for the journey. Filled up fuel to the brim while coming back from office on 20th Dec itself. Once again checked if all the electricals were working. Checked wiper water level. Cleaned the windshield and side glasses with trusted water and news paper method.

As planned Mom woke me up at around 3:30 am. Got up and had a bath and a cup of tea and by 4 am we got down to our parking lot and started loading the bags. water bottles etc. I once again aligned all my mirrors so that I get a comfortable view. It was 3 of us traveling, Me, My mom and sister. Finally we started from our place at Pallikaranai at 4:20 am. The first target was breakfast at Shri Krishna inn at Shoolagiri. It comes roughly around 30 kms after the right turn we take from Krishnagiri. It is located on the right side. It has a HPCL bunk, Mcd, CCD. We reached here around 8:00 am. The odometer showed 289 kms. It was very crowded and had to wait for 10 mins to get a table. Breakfast is very good here. We had idli wada, dosa, pongal and filter coffee. Wada was a bit hard though. rest were excellent. We hit the road back at 8:45 am.

Now comes the 1st worst drive of the entire trip. The road condition 15 kms before Hosur and 15 kms after Hosur is really pathetic with lots of diversion and heavy truck traffic (Not sure, if it has improved now). Filled up diesel at a IOC bunk near Hosur and reached Nice road exit at 9:50 am. Covered only 50 kms in 1 hour. So imagine the road condition.

From Nice road exit its a breeze to drive. That helped in munching miles fast. Next stop was at 1:10 pm at a Toll plaza on Davanegere - Harihar bypass. It was 642 kms on the ODO. Got down stretched my legs a bit. We had coconut water. We did not have any plans of lunch as we had a heavy breakfast. The roads were super smooth and I guessed of reaching kolhapur by 5:30 pm, So asked my mom if we can have lunch at belgaum or maybe MCD at kolhapur, She said ok. and started again at 1:25 pm. The Hubli Dharwad section is still a 2 lane. The stretch is 28 odd kms. and I took 30 odd mins to complete. we weren't hungry but my Car was. It was well below the half mark. I thought not to take any chances and I was sure of a IOC petrol bunk near Sankam residency at Belgaum. So reached belgaum at 3:40 pm. It was 853 kms on the ODO. The roads all the way from Nice road till Belgaum is butter smooth. I could easily maintain 130-140 at some stretches and 110-120 most of the time. Filled up fuel and left at 3:50 pm. Then had a 10 min natures call break at on of the road side restaurant near Nippani. Reached MCD Kolhapur at around 5:15 pm. It was 962 on the ODO. We had spicy paneer and vegie burgers and coke and hit back the road at 5:45 pm.

Now comes the 2nd worst drive of the trip. The roads are just fine from Kolhapur to Satara. What's more annoying is the bikers. They occupy 1 entire lane and overtaking buses and trucks is really difficult. They dont even move even with honking. They do have a marking on the left side of the road which should usually be used by them but no one does. And the roads become good to bad to worse as we move towards Satara. The roads from satara to Pune is also a nightmare with few butter smooth stretches and all of a sudden , stretches with uneven patches and pot holes. Also there was close to 5-6 diversions between Satara and pune. It was a slow progress from Kolhapur. Somehow reached Mumbai Pune expressway at around 9:35 pm. It was like heaven to drive after coming through all the bad stretches from Kolhapur to Pune. We stopped at Food mall on the expressway which comes exactly after 15 kms from the expressway toll. It was 10:00 pm and 1210 on the ODO(210 actually as it got reset after 1000 kms ) . Food was good here. I had to reach goregaon and used google maps to find the shortest and fastest route. It showed the route through Navi mumbai - Airoli - JVLR .So took that route and finally reached my place at 12:25 am.

Chennai to Mumbai - Route Query-img_20131221_070001.jpg

Chennai to Mumbai - Route Query-img_20131221_070143_1.jpg

Chennai to Mumbai - Route Query-img_20131221_071545.jpg

Chennai to Mumbai - Route Query-img_20131221_120724.jpg

Chennai to Mumbai - Route Query-img_20131221_120954.jpg
karts is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed