Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2010, 14:04   #1
BHPian

Bangalore - Ahobilam : Route Queries

I am planning to travel Ahobilam in A.P during March time frame. What is the best route i can take from Bangalore? Google maps doesn't have proper information on this, anyone traveled in the past, please update the route and condition if possible.

Thanks
Old 17th February 2010, 19:55   #2
BHPian

@fundamax:
Even I am planning to do the same trip in March or April.
I enquired some of my friends.

They suggested the following:

Route 1:
Bangalore - Anantapur - Tadpatri - Nandyal - Ahobilam

Route 2:
Bangalore - Chintamani - Madanapalli - Kadri - Pulivedula - Ahobilam

May be i am wrong as well. Not sure about road condition.

I remember one of bhpian had travelled from Chennai to Ahobilam.
Old 17th February 2010, 23:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

The best route to take would be to go the following route:
Bangalore-Kolar-Chittoor-Pileru 55-Rayachoti 55-Kadapa 50-Allegada 88-Ahobilam 24.

For further guidance, follow NH4 (Old Madras Road) till Chitoor, then take the Tirupati road (NH18), but keep going on NH18 at Pileru (Tirupati turns away to the right). At Allegada, go right to Ahobilam.

Why not the other 2 routes?
Route 1 is a roundabout route where you go north and come south.
Route 2 I would avoid for safety reasons (Kadiri-Puliventla), besides the roads are not good.

Last edited by hvkumar : 17th February 2010 at 23:14.
Old 18th February 2010, 11:23   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
The best route to take would be to go the following route:
Bangalore-Kolar-Chittoor-Pileru 55-Rayachoti 55-Kadapa 50-Allegada 88-Ahobilam 24.

For further guidance, follow NH4 (Old Madras Road) till Chitoor, then take the Tirupati road (NH18), but keep going on NH18 at Pileru (Tirupati turns away to the right). At Allegada, go right to Ahobilam.

Why not the other 2 routes?
Route 1 is a roundabout route where you go north and come south.
Route 2 I would avoid for safety reasons (Kadiri-Puliventla), besides the roads are not good.

Thanks HVK Sir. According to Google maps, Bangalore-Kolar-Chittoor-Pileru-Rayachoti-Kadapa -Allegada-Ahobilam comes around 410 KMs,
Via Ananthapur (Route 1) comes around 415 KMs. I know google goofs up with Indian routes, just curious to know have you done this stretch in the recent past?
Old 18th February 2010, 11:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funda2max View Post
Thanks HVK Sir. According to Google maps, Bangalore-Kolar-Chittoor-Pileru-Rayachoti-Kadapa -Allegada-Ahobilam comes around 410 KMs,
Via Ananthapur (Route 1) comes around 415 KMs. I know google goofs up with Indian routes, just curious to know have you done this stretch in the recent past?
Unfortunately, it is been some time since I drove on this route. I understand from someone who went that way recently that there are a few patch sections around Rayachoti, but rest of the route is good. I am war of the Anantapur route - it is a known Naxal region and I personally have been stopped by Naxals on that route some years ago.
Old 18th February 2010, 11:30   #6
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I personally have been stopped by Naxals on that route some years ago.
Was it any worse than your being stopped by police in MP? . But we'd like to know how you wriggle out of such scenarios as well.
Old 18th February 2010, 11:34   #7
BHPian

I went to Ahobilam recently from chennai. The route taken was Tirupati - Pileru - Rayachoti - Kadappa - Allagada - Ahobilam. There were some bad patches till Kadappa and it was good from there. You can find some details here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post1701614
Old 18th February 2010, 12:12   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Was it any worse than your being stopped by police in MP? . But we'd like to know how you wriggle out of such scenarios as well.
I ran into 10-15 Naxals - dressed in black, carrying guns (motley crowd of young and old guys) - in the middle of nowhere between Kadiri and Puttaparthi en route Penukonda (NH7). They saw me, saw my MH number plates, asked me in Hindi where I was going, to which I replied politely and with a friendly attitude. No "smartness" here, no asking "who the hell are you?" etc. Further small talk of where I'm from, what work I have there - much like what a cop would ask - and they let us go. Overall, I acted humble, answered all questions in a friendly manner and they waved us on.
Old 18th February 2010, 12:23   #9
BHPian

Bangalore - Hoskote - Chintamani - Madanapalli - Kadapa - Mydakuru -Allagadda -Ahabolam would be the shortest and roads are quite OK.
Old 6th December 2010, 15:00   #10
BHPian

I am planning to visit Mantralayam during 3rd week of December with my family and while coming back would wish to cover Ahobilam.Can anyone suggest best routes,road conditions and advise is there are any safety concerns that travellers should be aware of.
Old 6th December 2010, 22:16   #11
Senior - BHPian

On the way back take a deviation at Anantapur - tadapatri - Nandyal - Ahobilam. Dont miss vsisting Tadapatri which has beautiful temples. If time permits visit Bellum caves as well which falls on this route. It is amazing and this is the right season as well. Alternately you can also go to Nandyal from Kurnool on the way back from Mantralaya and come via Tadapatri to Bangalore. Also visit Oravakallu sanctuary very close to Kurnool to see amazing rock formations.
Old 8th December 2010, 18:26   #12
BHPian

re: Bangalore - Ahobilam : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
On the way back take a deviation at Anantapur - tadapatri - Nandyal - Ahobilam. Dont miss vsisting Tadapatri which has beautiful temples. If time permits visit Bellum caves as well which falls on this route. It is amazing and this is the right season as well. Alternately you can also go to Nandyal from Kurnool on the way back from Mantralaya and come via Tadapatri to Bangalore. Also visit Oravakallu sanctuary very close to Kurnool to see amazing rock formations.
Thanks very much mate, i will try to cover as many places as possible.
Old 31st January 2011, 13:56   #13

I did a "round" trip from Bangalore to Ahobilam last week.
Route taken from
Bangalore to Ahobilam ->
BLR-Anantput-Gooty-Pyapili-Banaganapalli-Kothapetta-Koilakuntla-Alagadda-Ahobilam
NH 7 till Gooty : BLR-Anantpur-Gooty.Awesome drive.Covered this distance in 3 hrs.
1) After Gooty , continue 19 kms on NH7 till Pyapili , take a right at this point.Watch out for this right turn , you can miss this.
After right, travle around 1/2 km and take first left.
2)Continue on this route for the next 58 kms to reach Banaganapalli(B'Palli).Watch out for the Village women folk blocking the road with huge tree logs and asking for money.Don't pay more than 5 Rs if you feel like giving.The roads are not too great , average speed 50 Kmph.
3)Once you reach B'Palli,continue until after bus station, take a right at that circle, follow the road for about 2 kms and the at the next Y jn take Left towards KOTHAPETTA.
4)The following route from KOTHAPETTA to KOILAKUNTLA is under contruction.Very poor roads, AVG speed 20 kmph.
5)KOILAKUNTLA to Alagadda (28 kms), good tarmac.
6)Alagadda to Ahobilam: Good tarmac,narrow roads.You might have to slow down to avoid getting of the shoulder and negotiate.
Total Time including pitstops : 7.5 hrs
AHOBILAM to BANGALORE ->
Didn't want to go back on the bad roads, so decided to take the more conventional route back to BLR.
Ahobilam-Alagadda-Kadappa-Rayachoti-Pileru-Madanapalle-Chintamani-Kaivara-H cross - Hosakote- BLR
Kadapa-Rayachoti- average speeds 70kmph
Rayachoti-Pileru - avg speed 90kmph.
Rayachoti ghat section work in ongoing.expect some minor delays.
Pileru Madanpalle ( curvy roads - sexy to drive on) avg speed 70 kmph
Did the Madanpalle-Chintamani-BLR stretch at night (lil risky).
Roads are in good condition with REFLECTORS
The SH bypasses Chintamani town and is in decent condition.Expect some sudden pot holes and pits at culverts and at bridges.
At Hosakote you join the Old Madras Road.
Some flyovers are ready but work is not fully complete from hosakote to KR Puram BLR.
Total Time taken including Pitstops : 8 hrs
My preferance would be route 2 via Kadappa.Roads are in good condition , get a good mileage and nice curvy roads to test ur cornering capability.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Ahobilam : Route Queries-29012011090.jpg  

ajithnarasimhan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2012, 13:27   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajithnarasimhan View Post
Ahobilam-Alagadda-Kadappa-Rayachoti-Pileru-Madanapalle-Chintamani-Kaivara-H cross - Hosakote- BLR

Total Time taken including Pitstops : 8 hrs
My preferance would be route 2 via Kadappa.
I am planning to take this route to Ahobilam tonight, starting by 1 AM at Silk board.

Is there any precaution to be taken, as i am driving at night?
Old 4th May 2012, 14:07   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
I am planning to take this route to Ahobilam tonight, starting by 1 AM at Silk board.

Is there any precaution to be taken, as i am driving at night?
Ramzsys, No Precautions considering the time you are starting. You should be able to cross M'palle by 4:00 AM. One important thing is the route, not many signboards and you might not encounter any people untill 6 am , that is when you would have almost reached Kadappa. So plan the route well. I suggest a 3.00 am start unless you know the route pretty well.
#win is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks