Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2010, 00:36   #16
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
That is because you took the new bypass on NH7 from Dindigul. The bypass which is being discussed is teh old bypass which connects the Madurai-Melur-Viralimalai-Trichy road to the Madurai-Tirunelveli NH7 which it joins just before Tirumangalam (and after the Dindigul road joins)
Just now I recollect noticing a truck driver trash one of the toll booth guys. However, I can't recollect which toll booth it happened. My memory is fading. I was just pointing out to my mom the ruckus as we collected the receipt from the adjacent booth and drove out.
Scratching my head really hard to recollect whether it was on one of the toll booths in TN or in Karnataka.
May be it was a case of toll booth guy trying to cheat a truck driver and the guy got down and started thrashing.
Old 12th March 2010, 14:12   #17
BHPian

I guess OP mentioned road is called madurai ring road and its not under NHAI control if i'm not wrong. May be its under madurai corporation

I think there are other 2 by-passes, one is from samayanallur to tirumangalam and another one is from tirumangalam to after othekadai( not sure where its joining)
Old 12th March 2010, 16:14   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Moral of the story : Dont pay / hand over the cash till you get the receipt. Also, check the board and hand over exact change. Not a rupee in excess.
Oh!!! Too bad to hear this.
Though I know the toll fare (by reading the toll fare board), I tend to pretend as if I know nothing & ask them gently the fare; so now he tells me the fare which I cross check from what I read on the board; not sure when they're going to give me a tough time saying the fares have increased & the board has old fares.
Old 12th March 2010, 17:08   #19
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
unlike the toffees I get on NH4 between pune and hubli.
During my trip from Pune to Bangalore on 6 March 2010, I was offered toffees instead of balance amount due, not in one, but several toll plazas. I blasted them, returned the toffees. Some relented and gave me the exact change, while some said they didn't have change and I had to part with the exact amount. We had taken a big lot of coins of various denominations for this purpose alone, when we had left Bangalore.

Another thing I noticed in toll plazas in Mumbai and NH 4 in Maharashtra was there were no prominent big signages displaying the toll for various categories of vehicles. Only when I drove near the counter, I could find a notice pasted on the wall, that too, torn [deliberately?] at many plazas. After I entered Karnataka, the big, prominent green signages in three languages spaced at reasonable intervals greeted me.

Moderators: A suggestion: Can the title of the thread be changed to 'Troubling Toll Plazas'?

Last edited by J.Ravi : 12th March 2010 at 17:12.

Old 15th March 2010, 14:43   #20
BHPian

I ask, why cant the authorities or the govt. take action and try to round off the amounts. They can be in multiples of 5 or 10. Instead of 33 it can be 35. I am sure no one will complaint about paying 2 bucks extra if there is a fast passing thru time. And also they have a signage displaying the toll amount about 2 or 5 kms before the toll gate. The max. distance from first signage to the toll is about 1 km. Even if we traveling at a speed of 100 kmph, we reach there in less an a minute. If they have a signage displaying the amount about 5 kms before, it gives the cars about 5 mins to make the change ready.
Old 19th March 2010, 17:36   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archish View Post
Instead of 33 it can be 35. I am sure no one will complaint about paying 2 bucks extra if there is a fast passing thru time.
For one time users this will not make a difference. But for frequent users (like trucks for example), the overall per month expenditure might turn out to be higher. I remember there was a big hue and cry when KA government increased the toll rates for iron ore carrying trucks.

Round figures can be kept for cars I guess.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks