Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2010, 12:55   #1
BHPian

Delhi to Rishikesh : Route Queries

Hi guys

I'm going to Rishikesh with a group of friends for rafting in 1st week of April. We will start from Delhi at about 11:30pm and aim to reach Rishikesh early morning.

Just wanted to ask about the road condition presently. In case anyone has been on that stretch recently then please advise about the same. Thnaks in advance.
Old 22nd March 2010, 13:11   #2
BHPian

Hey Bro,

What happened to the wedding anniversary trip you were planning? Is this the same or that one's separate and still on the cards?
Old 22nd March 2010, 13:50   #3
BHPian

Hi Sheetumanu

The anniversary trip is very much on the cards and would be done in May. After all no man can live peacefully denying home minstry's wishes.

This trip is a different one.
Old 22nd March 2010, 14:19   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeonwheels View Post
Hi Sheetumanu

The anniversary trip is very much on the cards and would be done in May. After all no man can live peacefully denying home minstry's wishes.

This trip is a different one.
Well my anniversary falls in May too, 11th to be precise. I had my share of unpleasant experiences of getting wed in peak Delhi summer.

Back to topic, I last took this road a little over than six months ago; except for a little stretch as soon as you enter the Meerut bypass, the road is good and keeps getting better.

BTW, the group you are talking about, are you guys 'n guys or families/wifeys/GF/kids as well?
Old 22nd March 2010, 14:44   #5
BHPian

Sheetumanu

ha ha. I can understand the heat woes since I experienced it but on my wedding day it started raining at about 4pm and then was a tad cooler the whole day.

Thnaks for the info on the road. The group includes a few couples and single guys/girls but no kids. I'm not taking my son (8 months old) since it would be too stressful for him because of the short time thereby translating into being active most of the time.

hey just one more thing. I went to Rishikesh in 2008 in night but in a cab and was sleeping in the back seat so don't have idea of roads. Are the roads mostly having dividers or without them?
Old 22nd March 2010, 15:37   #6
BHPian

There aren't sufficient dividers; whatsoever are present, they are more like guests rather than hosts on the highway. Moreover, it's 2~4 lane highway. So, it roughly translates into 2 lanes on one side and less dividers to divide these sides; therefore, drive carefully especially since you'd be driving through the night and this is the time when trucks/trailers/buses rule the road and drive quite rashly.

I'd put the route as below:

1. Delhi > Ghaziabad > Murad Nagar > Modi Nagar > Meerut

NOTE: There's a catch at this junction; do not take the flyover, take the bypass on the left side instead; a little bumpy ride here for a few minutes.

2. Move on to reach Khatauli

NOTE: This should be your first pit-stop; take a break at genuine Cheetal Grand; there are a lot of fake/pirated Cheetals in and around. The genuine would be on your RHS.

3. Move on to reach Muzaffarnagar

NOTE: Avoid the bypass here, drive through the city rather; would cost you 5~10 mins but it's worth it 'coz this bypass is dead silent esp in the night and not termed to as "so safe" by the locals. Though I haven't found it that unsafe but it's indeed very lonesome stretch and hardly any help around if required. But anyways, it's you call whether or not to take the bypass. A little bumpy ride here off and on.

4. Drive on to reach Roorkee > Haridwar > Rishikesh. A smooth and at times buttered ride on this stretch.

NOTE: You can take another break at Roorkee; the desi cafes on the haridwar road opposite to Roorkee Bus Stop are open overnight because of IIT-Roorkee students.

IMPORTANT: Watch out for the nasty speed-breakers which will show up from nowhere to test the GC and suspension of your car. As they are not white-stripped it's hard to spot them from a distance. The majority of these breakers are present on Muzzafarnagar > Roorkee stretch welcoming the visitors at the boundaries of en route towns/villages.

I have lived in those areas (Muzzafarnagar, Roorkee, Haridwar, Rishikesh) for around a decade so know 'em well.

BTW where do you put up in Delhi?

Last edited by sheetumanu : 22nd March 2010 at 15:53.
Old 22nd March 2010, 17:05   #7
BHPian

Thanks a lot Sheetumanu for the detailed info. Will surely keep in mind the points highlighted by you.

Will certainly keep an eye out for speedbreakers on the Muzzafarnagar - Roorkee stretch.

I stay in Dwarka.
Old 22nd March 2010, 17:48   #8
BHPian

You are welcome buddy

Wish you happy and safe rafting and do not forget to dine at Chotiwala restaurant while you are in Rishikesh.

BTW my in-laws are in Uttam Nagar and I do visit them periodically, would love to catch up with you sometime
Old 23rd March 2010, 11:01   #9
BHPian

Thanks buddy. Will certainly visit the Chotiwala retaurant.

Sure bud, anytime. Just PM me whenever you are to visit your in-laws. We'll take it from there then.
Old 20th November 2010, 07:48   #10
BHPian

Noida - Kurukshetra - Haridwar - Noida

Hi,

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm taking my parents on a little pilgrimage, Noida - Kurukshetra - Haridwar - Noida.

Just wanted to know how the roads are now.

We'd be going to Kurukshetra via Sonepat and Rohtak.

From there to Haridwar via Yamunanagar and Roorkee.

Return via Meerut bypass and Modinagar.

Advice on good rest areas will be welcome too.

All driving strictly in the daytime only. We'll halt overnightin Haridwar.

Thanks,
Old 8th June 2014, 21:01   #11
BHPian

re: Delhi to Rishikesh : Route Queries

Hey Guys,

I am planning to go to Rishikesh this weekend. Last time we went through Meerut->Mujjafarnagar-> Roorkee ->Haridwar -> Rishikesh, and the traffic jam at roorkee was horrible.
So, this time I am planning to take Meerut-> Bijor -> Najibabad -> Haridwar -> Rishikesh route.
Roads till najibabad are good, so my only concern is the Najibabad -> Haridwar stretch. Can anyone please tell me the road conditions of this 50 KM stretch?

Thanks in advance.
ank.nsit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 17:40   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
Hey Guys,

I am planning to go to Rishikesh this weekend. Last time we went through Meerut->Mujjafarnagar-> Roorkee ->Haridwar -> Rishikesh, and the traffic jam at roorkee was horrible.
So, this time I am planning to take Meerut-> Bijor -> Najibabad -> Haridwar -> Rishikesh route.
Roads till najibabad are good, so my only concern is the Najibabad -> Haridwar stretch. Can anyone please tell me the road conditions of this 50 KM stretch?

Thanks in advance.
Hi Ank.Nsit.

My first post in team-bhp goes here

I went to Rishikesh last weekend with my family. Me and wifey started from Rohini (Delhi) at 3 a.m. - Friday and reached Noida sector-41 to pick up rest of the passengers. Then we left Noida early morning 5.30 and took

Noida Sector-51 > Mohan Nagar > Meerut > Muzzafarnagar > Haridwar > Roorkee > Rishikesh

I had travelled mostly in South so this was my first long drive trip in Northern India with family. I relied completely on GPS (Here Maps) but rest of the passengers were familiar with road conditions.

1. From Noida to Muzzafarnagar via Meerut, traffic was not much and we cruised at speeds of 80-100 kph. Road was 4-lane, narrow though.

2. Stop over at Cheetal Grand Cafe for breakfast, Namaste Midway for little shopping.

3. From Muzzafarnagar till Roorkee, road was in pretty bad shape. Half of the road on either side was under construction. Piles of traffic lined up in 2 to 3 queues on one side. I was good enough to negotiate and cut lanes hence I didn't face much issue. Still it took considerable 4 hours to reach Rishikesh from Muzzafarnagar only.

------------------------------------------------------------------

On return we took a different route.

Rishikesh > Roorkee bypass > Bhagwanpur > Saharnapur > Yamunanagar > Ladwa > Indri > Karnal > Rohini > Noida

This route had less traffic after 'har ki paudi' once you cross Roorkee bypass towards Bhagwanpur and then towards Saharanpur. Route is scenenic all the way till Ladwa (Haryana). Truck traffic was there at Yamunanagar bypass.

We started at 1:30 p.m. from Rishikesh on Monday afternoon. By 4.30 we reached Karnal and by 8 we were back in Noida.

This route is around 50-60 kms more than the previous one, but quite fast with less traffic.

For lunch and dinner, we stopped over at Karnal Haveli and Sukhdev

Hope this is helpful.
OneToughRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2015, 10:56   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToughRider View Post
------------------------------------------------------------------

On return we took a different route.

Rishikesh > Roorkee bypass > Bhagwanpur > Saharnapur > Yamunanagar > Ladwa > Indri > Karnal > Rohini > Noida
Bumping up a old thread.
Onetoughrider return journey looks way over 50 to 60 kms longer.

Any updates on the current road conditions? Delhi > Meerut > Muzzafarnagar > Haridwar > Roorkee > Rishikesh

Last edited by noopster : 11th February 2015 at 18:30. Reason: Please don't quote large posts in their entirety- makes it difficult for our small-screen users
Old 1st August 2015, 14:17   #14

Delhi to Rishikesh

Guys,

I'm gonna drive from Delhi to Rishikesh on Aug 5th. Kindly suggest me which route I should take?

Delhi -> Meerut -> Muzaffarnagar -> Roorkee -> Haridwar

or Delhi -> Meerut -> Khatauli -> Bijnor -> Haridwar

Which one has better roads and traffic conditions?

Thanks,

Somil Gupta
Old 3rd May 2017, 17:45   #15
BHPian

Bumping up an old thread.

I am planning a drive next week from Delhi to Haridwar & Rishikesh. Needed some information on the route and any recommended places for food.

1. For folks in Delhi, I am going to rent a car, hence want to know where do I need to pay the Uttar Pradesh road tax. Google maps shows a road through Gazipur, over what looks like a flyover. Is there a UP RTO post somewhere here? Or is there a recommended route to enter UP where I can pay the road tax.
2. Can this tax be paid online?
3. Hopefully the RTO post between UP and UK should be easy to spot as this is a National Highway. Again, any recommendations here
4. How are the road conditions between Delhi & Rishikesh | Rishikesh to Devprayag | Devprayag to Kanatal | Kanatal to Mussoorie?
5. Lastly, any recommended places to stop for food?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks