Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2012, 12:48   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Travelling Pune-Goa with a 3 month old infant

Quote:
Originally Posted by cediafan View Post
Thanks all for your replies! It is reassuring to know that the routes are good
The roads between Nippani and Sawantwadi was not in very good condition 3-4 months back. There was a stretch of 12-15 km after the turn off from NH4, that was really bad with big potholes. So your progress will be slow.

I do not know the condition of the route that Ashish suggested i.e., Sankeshwar->Gadhinglaj to Sawantwadi.

But you should still be able to travel with your infant, whichever route you take.
pjbiju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2012, 12:56   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
you can try Kamath Sawantwadi, its on the road and is good considering the infant.
If you are driving non-stop from Pune, you can try one new restaurant "Minurva" (Dont bother about the spelling, it was something like that I saw ) a little after Ajra, I saw lots of families and cars there, so hoping it will be good, looked clean from outside.
Sawantwadi's viththal kamat restaurant is equally good.

The hotel Minarva after Ajra is also good though i have not visited that place.
My friend who visited Minarva three months back recommended me this hotel while i went to goa in nov11.

Parking at kamat amboli is troublesome but no issue at minarva ajara and kamat sawantwadi.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 9th January 2012 at 13:01.
Old 9th January 2012, 12:58   #33
BHPian

@cedifan: All the experts on this route have already posted, nevertheless my two cents: As suggested by Ashsih, Sankeshwar-Gadhinglaj-Amboli-Sawantwadi-Goa is the route of choice at this time. Routes to be avoided are Nippani-Uttur-Ajra-Amboli as also NH4A i.e. Belgaum-Londa-Ponda-Goa. The best possible route in terms of road surface is Pune-Belgaum-Hubli-Karwar-Goa as recommended by MX6 - however this would add around 150-200 kms to your distance.

Finally, your travel plan brings back nostalgic memories of our trip to Goa with my 9 month old daughter way back in 1986- by train if you please!! She is now married and she and her husband do the Bangalore-Hubli-Karwar-Goa route and hence the updates !!
suniladhiya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2012, 13:08   #34
Senior - BHPian

Sorry, for what might be a bit of an Off Topic post. I am myself dying for a trip to Goa before the summers and rains set in. My baby is 2.5 months old right now. I intend to fly out of Delhi. So:
1. Should I consider flying with a 3-4 month old baby? Is this advisable?
2. What precautions should I take (more than what is usually done for a baby)?
3. Should i carry some special stuff along, just in case...?
Old 9th January 2012, 13:59   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Small babies are susceptible to ear pain when the pressure changes in air, so in flight they would experience ear pain, please remember for them sometimes this pain is unbearable. Unless its required try avoiding flying. If you must fly there are ways to help her with the pain, feeding the child while takeoff and landing helps to a certain degree. Also on some kids (not all) having cotton in ears helps.

Most babies will cry while takeoff and landing, so be prepared. Apart form usual calpol/medicines do have a plan for hygienic clothes washing (if required) as some kids are allergic to some sort of detergents.

Rest you need to take care of the food for the mother, and baby will be taken care off. We took first time flight when our daughter was over a year old.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 9th January 2012 at 14:02.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2012, 18:30   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Sorry, for what might be a bit of an Off Topic post. I am myself dying for a trip to Goa before the summers and rains set in. My baby is 2.5 months old right now. I intend to fly out of Delhi. So:
from what a couple of friends have advised (the docs in the family anyways say least air travel before a year):
- Make the baby suckle. Suckling or yawning (in our case) helps ease the pressure. A friend even put a finger in their daughter's mouth to make her suckle (she was not feeding nor responding to soother). Better be pre-emptive.
- Cotton doesnt help.
- Often, babies that sleep through such a short journey do quite well by themselves.

Honestly, don't do it now. Because the kid will be demanding (till atleast 3.5-4 months) unless her feeding has stablized to once in 2-3 hours -else the mother will be irritated and feeling totally tired. The kid will become much more fun at 4 months or so and sleep much better.

A vacation's gotto be enjoyable, na?

/if you have help - either family or maids - they travel with you - important for everyone's happiness n sanity!!
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 22:58   #37
BHPian

Suckling helps the babies cope with pressure difference, if there is any sign of cold then i would advise to consult the dr before as cold + pressure difference makes it really painnful. However, we were given a 'pinkoo gripe water' type of syrup, i forgot the exact name, when we had to travel on long haul with a 5 month old baby. That was the last resort to help the baby sleep through the flight, just like the adults who help themselves to couple of large ones of 'you know what i mean'. I am told that couple of spoons of gripe water has the same effect on babies as couple of large ones. Fortunately we never had to use it.
ScorpWarp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2012, 09:02   #38
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Folks.
After reading the posts containing your suggestions and experiences with infants, I have come to the conclusion, that I must sacrifice my selfish pursuits for some more time, in the best interests of my baby. It would be a needless painful experience for the baby. Flights are out of the question for now. Maybe I'll revisit this when the baby is 6 months old, but by then Goa would be out of the question.

So I think, that a Road Trip may be fine, with a proper Car Seat et. al. but once the winters lose their sting around here. In any case, this thread would continue to capture, as per the original intention, whatever is required to be done to undertake a road trip safely. Thanks all again.
Old 11th January 2012, 22:14   #39
BHPian

Cediafan,

I have travelled this route exactly a month ago and am due to return to Goa next week.
I would agree with Ashish Pallod as far as the route goes. You can be in Goa in about 7 hours from Poona (it took me 6 but I did not have a baby with me) plus at least another hour to reach Colva which is way down south.
MX6 suggestion is also good but quite a bit longer.
Leave early, drive safe and remember that your baby might suffer some discomfort in her ears while ascending/descending the ghats. In that case please follow the suggestions given for a baby travelling by air in this same thread.

Another good restaurant for a stop is Anand Lunch Home at Sawantwadi.
Excellent fish thali - provided you are not a veggie!

I noticed that someone recommended Martin's in Goa. I have been there numerous times in the past but am sorry to say that IMHO I think their quality has deteriorated. Service is also pathetic. Don't bother going there on a Saturday night!!!

Couple of decent places to try are Fiplees at Benaulim (close to Colva and has live music), Nostalgia - also known as Chef Fernando's (about 10 Kms from Colva on the Fatorda road. A bit difficult to find but well worth it. Ask for directions or you will get lost. Longuinho's Beach Resort at Colva also does some good food. "Myk's" & Nic and Nat's at Arpora, Electric Cats and O'Pescador at Baga, The last four are in North Goa so may be a bit far for you to travel with a baby just for a meal.

Have a great holiday.

Regards,
SS
Old 10th August 2012, 16:40   #40
BHPian

re: Pune to Goa : Route Queries

Guys, I am planning to go to goa on the 15'th of Aug with wife and 1.5 yrs old daughter. Planning to take the following route:

Pune - Kolhapur NH4
Kolhapur Shankeshwar NH4
Shankeshwar - Ajara - Sawantwadi SH 134 - 121
Sawantwadi - Goa - NH 17

My Saved Places - Google Maps

Is this still the best option in terms of road condition etc.
Old 10th August 2012, 16:46   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCVtec View Post
You'll find most of the recent updates for this route on this thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ur-goa-58.html

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2012, 17:12   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCVtec View Post
Guys, I am planning to go to goa on the 15'th of Aug with wife and 1.5 yrs old daughter. Planning to take the following route:

Pune - Kolhapur NH4
Kolhapur Shankeshwar NH4
Shankeshwar - Ajara - Sawantwadi SH 134 - 121
Sawantwadi - Goa - NH 17

My Saved Places - Google Maps

I took that same route on my trip to Goa recently & the conditions are pretty good, except for a minor patch of potholes. It's the best route currently.
You can comfortably cover the distance from Kolhapur to Goa within 4hrs. No need to speed or aggressive overtaking. Carry some warm clothes for your daughter.
Enjoy the view, it's beautiful & the air is so fresh around that area that you wouldn't want to come back.

Last edited by mb_jg : 10th August 2012 at 17:15.
mb_jg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2015, 11:55   #43
BHPian

Hi Guys,
Planning a trip from Pune to Goa this friday. this would be my first by car.
I am planning on Pune - Satara - Kolhapur - Kagal - Nipani - Uttur - Ajara - Amboli - Sawantwadi - Goa, is it in good condition.
Any other information would be welcome.
Old 31st March 2015, 11:58   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nats View Post
Hi Guys,
Planning a trip from Pune to Goa this friday. this would be my first by car.
I am planning on Pune - Satara - Kolhapur - Kagal - Nipani - Uttur - Ajara - Amboli - Sawantwadi - Goa, is it in good condition.
Any other information would be welcome.
Even a faster option is Belgaum/Chorla.

Here is a more active thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...r-goa-107.html
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2017, 07:26   #45
BHPian

Since the similar thread to my query was already here, would like to post the question here itself.

What is the current suggested route to take between Pune and North Goa. Should the usual route through Kolhapur-Amboli Ghat be fine enough or any other?

If anyone has traveled recently, are there any road construction or potholes I need to especially be worried about?

Thanks a lot. :-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks