Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2010, 10:24   #1
Senior - BHPian

North India Vacation Options.

Guys.

I could use some help and advice here.

My annual vacation is from mid July to mid August 2010 and I want to do anorth India trip starting from Delhi and thn on to some nice cool hill stations. Trip around 18 to 20 days.

The question is firstly what kind ov weather is to be expected in Delhi in late July.Please recommned some nice hotels in or even around Delhi that are good for family with kids and have a swimming pool.

Ther are plenty to choose from on the net but I want to hear from someone who has stayed at a place and is happy to recommend it.

I am looking at hiring a self drive car, what are the best options here. I am looking at Thrifty or Avis.

Plan to drive to Agra and spend a night then on to Shimla.

How many hours will it take to drive from Agra to Shimla. Can you guys recommend some nice maybe four star properties in Shimla to stay in for say three nights.

I am thinking then on to Manali for a few days.Looking at the Quality Inn property there which sounds great

What would you guys suggest fro the rest of the time.

recommend further places to vist. Is it going to be very hot to go into Rajisthan ?

What is the political situation in Srinagar Kashmir. Is it Ok to visit and if so is it Ok to drive there or fly ?
Old 23rd March 2010, 10:28   #2
Team-BHP Support

You can try the Kumaon side.
Nainital, Jim Corbett, Kausani etc.
Old 23rd March 2010, 10:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
You can try the Kumaon side.
Nainital, Jim Corbett, Kausani etc.
What is the weather like in that area, I am looking for something nice and comfortable.

Is the Corbett park open around them and is it possible to see wildlife.

Last edited by wasif : 23rd March 2010 at 10:34.
Old 23rd March 2010, 11:54   #4
BHPian

I wouldnt worry too much about the political situation in Kashmir. In any case, I avoid Srinagar which is usually the center of all the trouble and in the timeframe you mention it turns into a mini-Gujarat anyways courtesy the Amarnath thingie. I would suggest staying at Hazratbal (nagin) approx 10 kms from Srinagar or even better, Ganderbal or Kangan which has some not too expensive but comfortable hotels in queit surroundings.

Uttaranchal is another great option. Ranikhet was a surprise discovery for me, and is on the top of my list!

Corbett will close on Jun 15 or so.
Old 23rd March 2010, 11:57   #5
Team-BHP Support

July is going to be hot. However with monsoon breaching around that time, it would not be unbearable like june.
As for hill stations, you can go to anywhere in himachal/uttaranchal or kashmir.
Old 23rd March 2010, 11:58   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
I wouldnt worry too much about the political situation in Kashmir. In any case, I avoid Srinagar which is usually the center of all the trouble and in the timeframe you mention it turns into a mini-Gujarat anyways courtesy the Amarnath thingie. I would suggest staying at Hazratbal (nagin) approx 10 kms from Srinagar or even better, Ganderbal or Kangan which has some not too expensive but comfortable hotels in queit surroundings.

Uttaranchal is another great option. Ranikhet was a surprise discovery for me, and is on the top of my list!

Corbett will close on Jun 15 or so.
Do tell more!

Currently I am considering thee nights in Delhi, a day in Agra then on to Shimla for 3 nights then Manali for a further three and then I need suggessions on where to head for teh next week.

I have never been to North India and son't have any knowledge about places and weather or driving distances so any help will be much appreciated.

Last edited by wasif : 23rd March 2010 at 11:59.
Old 23rd March 2010, 12:18   #7
Team-BHP Support

I would suggest 2 nights in Delhi. It may be too hot to actually do much sight seeing in Delhi.
As for Agra, if its not cloudy, its going to be very hot. Also plan that you do not reach Agra on friday, as Taj is closed on Friday
Old 23rd March 2010, 12:33   #8
BHPian

wasif: personally i avoid manali town since it is usually crowded and prefer vashisth which is 7kms away from Manali. Shimla in July is likely to be a zoo as well and I have only liked Shimla on XMas time!

I think given the time you have, you could spend a week and a half exploring Uttaranchal and then heading for Himachal.

Something like: Delhi (2 days)-Nainital (2days) - Almora(1 day) - Ranikhet (1 day)- Sitabani (2/3 days) - Sangla (3 days) - Shimla (2/3 days) - Dharamshala(2/3 days) - delhi

Since Corbett will be closed in that period, you could check out this place called Sitabani which is close by. You could plan a fishing trip or something here. There are plenty of homestay type bungalows on the road between Ramnagar(Corbett) and Haldwani run by Anglo-Indian's which are on the fringes of the Corbett park and get you some of the experience of Corbett without the hassle.
Old 23rd March 2010, 12:36   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
wasif: personally i avoid manali town since it is usually crowded and prefer vashisth which is 7kms away from Manali. Shimla in July is likely to be a zoo as well and I have only liked Shimla on XMas time!

I think given the time you have, you could spend a week and a half exploring Uttaranchal and then heading for Himachal.

Something like: Delhi (2 days)-Nainital (2days) - Almora(1 day) - Ranikhet (1 day)- Sitabani (2/3 days) - Sangla (3 days) - Shimla (2/3 days) - Dharamshala(2/3 days) - delhi

Since Corbett will be closed in that period, you could check out this place called Sitabani which is close by. You could plan a fishing trip or something here. There are plenty of homestay type bungalows on the road between Ramnagar(Corbett) and Haldwani run by Anglo-Indian's which are on the fringes of the Corbett park and get you some of the experience of Corbett without the hassle.
Sounds good.

Would I need to get prior reservations in hotels in these places or one can get rooms on arrival.

Is the whole of the area in HP and Uttarkhand fairly safe to drive around.

I will be hiring a car in Delhi and then drive to these places.
Old 23rd March 2010, 13:53   #10
BANNED

Remember July-August will be the monsoons. The tourist season end in late June, so you should find the places less crowded and also cheaper. As for Uttarakhand you can choose either Garhwal hills (Mussoorie, Dhanaulti, etc) or Kumaon (Nainital, Corbett, Kausani, Almora, etc). Temperature wise it will not be hot, and not too cold either. Be prepared to get caught in the rain.

We spent a week in Kumaon hills in late february. Roads in Uttarakhand are excellent. naturally narrow and winding, but well paved and maintained. Of course if you run into a landslide then you may have a rough 100-200m to go through.
Old 23rd March 2010, 14:01   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Remember July-August will be the monsoons. The tourist season end in late June, so you should find the places less crowded and also cheaper. As for Uttarakhand you can choose either Garhwal hills (Mussoorie, Dhanaulti, etc) or Kumaon (Nainital, Corbett, Kausani, Almora, etc). Temperature wise it will not be hot, and not too cold either. Be prepared to get caught in the rain.

We spent a week in Kumaon hills in late february. Roads in Uttarakhand are excellent. naturally narrow and winding, but well paved and maintained. Of course if you run into a landslide then you may have a rough 100-200m to go through.
Thanks.

Could you recommend soem nice places to stay in that area.

I would love to run into some rains an it is something I and my family sorely miss living in the UAE
Old 23rd March 2010, 14:25   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

How about Ladakh? That place is different from you might have visited on earth. Highly recommended.
Old 24th March 2010, 16:00   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
How about Ladakh? That place is different from you might have visited on earth. Highly recommended.
True but the air is too thin that high up and it would mean spending time getting acclimatized
Old 5th April 2010, 02:32   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Guys.

I could use some help and advice here.

My annual vacation is from mid July to mid August 2010 and I want to do anorth India trip starting from Delhi and thn on to some nice cool hill stations. Trip around 18 to 20 days.

The question is firstly what kind ov weather is to be expected in Delhi in late July.Please recommned some nice hotels in or even around Delhi that are good for family with kids and have a swimming pool.

Ther are plenty to choose from on the net but I want to hear from someone who has stayed at a place and is happy to recommend it.

I am looking at hiring a self drive car, what are the best options here. I am looking at Thrifty or Avis.

Plan to drive to Agra and spend a night then on to Shimla.

How many hours will it take to drive from Agra to Shimla. Can you guys recommend some nice maybe four star properties in Shimla to stay in for say three nights.

I am thinking then on to Manali for a few days.Looking at the Quality Inn property there which sounds great

What would you guys suggest fro the rest of the time.

recommend further places to vist. Is it going to be very hot to go into Rajisthan ?

What is the political situation in Srinagar Kashmir. Is it Ok to visit and if so is it Ok to drive there or fly ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Do tell more!

Currently I am considering thee nights in Delhi, a day in Agra then on to Shimla for 3 nights then Manali for a further three and then I need suggessions on where to head for teh next week.

I have never been to North India and son't have any knowledge about places and weather or driving distances so any help will be much appreciated.

It would great if we meet up during your visit to india. Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks